Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Right Wing is not a position that we will be signing a player in the summer, we just signed Traore who is still settling into the team

When you say settling, that means he’s just allowed to be poor and we won’t bother trying to upgrade? 

We absolutely need at least one winger in the summer. I’ll be surprised if Traore is starting for us next year. On the whole, he’s been fairly poor this season after a bright’ish’ start. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So the German market? 

Going by the results of the federal elections state at the weekend, the right wingers are fading over here. Although later in the year, a few of the east German federal states are voting so that could change.

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

When you say settling, that means he’s just allowed to be poor and we won’t bother trying to upgrade? 

We absolutely need at least one winger in the summer. I’ll be surprised if Traore is starting for us next year. On the whole, he’s been fairly poor this season after a bright’ish’ start. 

He hasn't actually been poor though, only 2 players have had more goal contributions in our team this season thats Jack and Watkins. 

He has done more in the league than Ismaila Sarr for example who people keep saying we should splash 40 million on

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think right wing will be our number one priority this summer. 

I agree. In order of priority, I would say:

1. Right Wing - left is sorted with Jack but we need quality on the right. I see Traore as a squad/rotation player and I see AEG/Trez as gone hopefully. I do like David Brooks but he has had his injury issues.

2. CM - type of player dependent on how Smith wants to play - Sander Berge suggests we want to play 4-3-3 with two no. 8's/Van de Beek (for example) suggests he wants to stick with the 4-2-3-1 we have played with Barkley in the side.

3. CF - to compete with Ollie and possibly Wes.

After that, I think we need to improve the cover/bring in further competition in two spots:

4. LW - bring in a, say, Olise to understudy Jack or push the boat out a bit further and go for a Rashica.  Obviously, all 3 could play as a "10" if Smith wanted to change shape.

5. LB - Need a younger understudy to Targett to replace Taylor.

That would be a similar number to last summer.  Hopefully higher spend but potentially more cash coming back in with better players to sell.

There are other places that we could upgrade - Nakamba/CDM, Guilbert/RB and Engels/4th choice CB - but they would not be my priorities, with the latter two also dependent upon plans for Kessler and Revan e.g. if they are seen as potentially good enough to be back up or maybe need a season in the Championship/League One so, in the latter circumstances, keep Guilbert and Engels as cover for another season until we see how the youngsters get on on loan?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I agree. In order of priority, I would say:

1. Right Wing - left is sorted with Jack but we need quality on the right. I see Traore as a squad/rotation player and I see AEG/Trez as gone hopefully. I do like David Brooks but he has had his injury issues.

2. CM - type of player dependent on how Smith wants to play - Sander Berge suggests we want to play 4-3-3 with two no. 8's/Van de Beek (for example) suggests he wants to stick with the 4-2-3-1 we have played with Barkley in the side.

3. CF - to compete with Ollie and possibly Wes.

After that, I think we need to improve the cover/bring in further competition in two spots:

4. LW - bring in a, say, Olise to understudy Jack or push the boat out a bit further and go for a Rashica.  Obviously, all 3 could play as a "10" if Smith wanted to change shape.

5. LB - Need a younger understudy to Targett to replace Taylor.

That would be a similar number to last summer.  Hopefully higher spend but potentially more cash coming back in with better players to sell.

There are other places that we could upgrade - Nakamba/CDM, Guilbert/RB and Engels/4th choice CB - but they would not be my priorities, with the latter two also dependent upon plans for Kessler and Revan e.g. if they are seen as potentially good enough to be back up or maybe need a season in the Championship/League One so, in the latter circumstances, keep Guilbert and Engels as cover for another season until we see how the youngsters get on on loan?

I think RW, then striker, then CM.

We don’t know how Wes will come back but whatever we really need another striker.

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Going by the results of the federal elections state at the weekend, the right wingers are fading over here. Although later in the year, a few of the east German federal states are voting so that could change.

Actually read that Mussolini's grandchild was now in the youth ranks of Lazio. That must be a talented right winger eh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd love us to go and get someone like Maximilian Arnold. Solid, dependable, hard worker, pops up with a goal. Him, Samson, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey is a nice core.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think RW, then striker, then CM.

We don’t know how Wes will come back but whatever we really need another striker.

i'd agree with this. smith loves to play wingers and he must be raging that our best options after traore and jack are trez and anwar. both of whom IMO are not prem quality.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i'd agree with this. smith loves to play wingers and he must be raging that our best options after traore and jack are trez and anwar. both of whom IMO are not prem quality.

I think Anwar is a decent squad option.  Trez, I wouldn't want playing for us even in the Championship.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Genuinely think we'll see Traore play more in the Barkley role next year so that gives us space to still get in a right sided wide player and have Traore for back up there.

51 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think Anwar is a decent squad option.

I couldn't disagree more on this.  He is the wing equivalent of Hourihane - he can score goals but he adds very little else.  He must be so infuriating for Ollie because he's got more chance of seeing B-lose win the Premier League than seeing AEG get his head up and look for anything other than a shot on goal!  What is the point in Watkins making runs when El Ghazi is on the ball.  AEG has also become incredibly predictable, which is why so many of his shots are getting blocked!

I think, after his 6 goals etc., we should be able to get decent value for him as well.  Take the money and re-invest it in someone who can play a part in the team.  I want a new starting right winger and a young (say Olise) left winger who can cover for Jack.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Traore has been alright, but I still feel we should buy a natural right winger. With pace directness, crossing and decent dribbling.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Traore has been alright, but I still feel we should buy a natural right winger. With pace directness, crossing and decent dribbling.

I’m shocked too but we agree on something 👍

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’ve been told from someone within the game that we have been scouting and/or targeting two German based defenders: 

Apparently we’ve scouted Marc-Oliver Kempf a CB from VFB Stuttgart not sure if there is anymore to that ...

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/player/marc-oliver-kempf/profile

And we are also (apparently) very interested in/have made enquiries regarding Ismail Jakobs LW/LB from FC Koln 

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/player/ismail-jakobs/profile

He  reminds me a lot of Marty Cash LW moved back to FB and is being targeted by Leicester and Brighton also...

BTW I’m not ITK... I used to hear snippets but been a few years out of the game, it’s drying up and any Villa news comes second hand via Europe so must be treated so ... just thought I’d share. 

Kempf is good, Jakobs not so much

• Thanks 1