Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think every opposition manager, fans and pundits in the PL know our weaknesses.

Height? :P

I dunno, I'm not so sure it's as clear cut as that. We don't even know what formation we're going to play when we have a fully fit squad, or how the new signings are all going to fit in. And even if midfield is our big problem, it was good enough to finish 11th last season, finishing around 11th again isn't going to be a huge problem. 

• Like 1

It was also stated by Smith that he identified the weakness as being the ability to maintain possession in attacking areas and not sacrifice it cheaply, putting on defensive pressure in the process. If he feels that has been addressed - which there's a good chance of given the greater spread of quality in that area of the pitch now - then we'll find out just how much midfield is actually an issue. It's certainly looked better in the last two games since Luiz has returned.

15 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Are you suprised there's been no other business this window? Do you think you need more?

I thought you'd go mad when you sold Grealish considering your backing etc

I'm pretty happy with it. Our future, given that we have a very very promising crop of youth players, is bringing some of those players through (and then eventually selling them). Too many senior players just getting League Cup minutes is an impediment to that. I think the only position we'd have wanted one more is central midfield, but I can take it or leave it; we have midfielders for all different types of situations, yes they don't all always do it but each does it often enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

It was also stated by Smith that he identified the weakness as being the ability to maintain possession in attacking areas and not sacrifice it cheaply, putting on defensive pressure in the process. If he feels that has been addressed - which there's a good chance of given the greater spread of quality in that area of the pitch now - then we'll find out just how much midfield is actually an issue. It's certainly looked better in the last two games since Luiz has returned.

To maintain possession you have to first get possession

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Bailey and Buendia have high ball retention stats, assume was key element in signing them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Juventus has said McKennie is not going to be sold this window

Missed that… I’ve come to the conclusion we don’t need him anyhow and I’d prefer we went long term for Tyler Adams from Leipzig if signing USMNT Players 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think getting the Argentinian balance right will help with one at the back and one towards the front but for some reason we are now lopsided with just a Jamaican upfront but nothing in defence.

These mis-steps could cost us in the season.

Look we have got the meat (Luiz, Buendia) but where are the potatoes? (Hourihane)

I think I  want my lunch now.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m disappointed we look so unbalanced as a team now, I thought we’d rectify before the closes but looks not happening.  

We have only one hair band player in Cash on the right so our left side being hair band less is a weak spot.  So either Targett needs to regrow his hair or we are in trouble.

Also our calf situation look light across our first team, we don’t seem to have strength in that area which is disappointing.

I also worry about diving, we need to repeat the numbers of last season but we don’t have that level of grass eating shenanigans.

I think getting the Argentinian balance right will help with one at the back and one towards the front but for some reason we are now lopsided with just a Jamaican upfront but nothing in defence.

These mis-steps could cost us in the season.

I was hoping we'd bring in a strong beard, seems that's off the cards now too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Based on the way our injuries are going this season, I'd say we need another 22 signings today.

Isn't everyone expected to be fit after international window with exception of Trez? Still haven't heard anything about Konsa, assume that's good news if we're letting Guilbert go.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

According to Twitter, the outside chance deals that could still happen for Villa today:

- McKennie

- Damsgaard

- Lingard

- Kamara

.........Don't hold your breath or be disappointed when nothing happens. I reckon its over (thank God!)

So far outside they are practically touching the moon! You can see the pigs flying from there. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Just now, CVByrne said:

Isn't everyone expected to be fit after international window with exception of Trez? Still haven't heard anything about Konsa, assume that's good news if we're letting Guilbert go.

Hopefully.  It just seems we're accumulating injuries at a rate of 1 per training session at the moment.