Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, macandally said:

For those disappointed in the window?

Beundia £35m

Bailey £30m

Ings £25m

Three/four years ago we were bordering on bankruptcy as we couldn’t pay a £4m tax bill.  Just let that sink in against your needy sense of entitlement. 

Bit harsh I think mate. When the club openly talk about a 5 year plan, playing at the highest level etc. then it creates a level of expectation. Yes we’ve signed three quality players and that’s great, but we haven’t addressed the central midfield issue that’s plagued this team since promotion. There was and is a hope that we’ll address that before the window closes. You say entitlement, I say ambition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

Beundia £35m

Bailey £30m

Ings £25m

Three/four years ago we were bordering on bankruptcy as we couldn’t pay a £4m tax bill.  Just let that sink in against your needy sense of entitlement. 

Anddddd there it is. 

The post telling us we’re not allowed to expect anything higher than 11th this season. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, macandally said:

Beundia £35m

Bailey £30m

Ings £25m

i dont think anyone is unhappy with our purchases.

I think in isolation, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young and Tuanzebe are an excellent group of signings.

The issue i think people do have, is we lost Mike Lubb for 100m, meaning our effective net spend is zero, and as per the club statement, Ings, Buendia and bailey are effectively to "replace the output of Gresford".

So basically, we are roughly standing still, or may be slightly behind, or ahead of last year, we dont know yet, but what we do know, is we are slightly in the green this window in terms of spend (or at worst net zero), and considering some gaps in the team, many (inc. myself) find it amazing that we arent trying to fix at least one of our glaring issues (a no.6).

The thing i find doubly strange in relation to a no.6, is while we have many promising youth players in other positons, such as the wings, striker, midfield, defence, we dont have a high potential youth player coming through in the short term at DM, so there is no excuse there for not wanting a top class no.6.

So yeah, in closing, i dont think anyone can be unhappy with our purchases, they are top notch purchases, but when you factor in incomings AND outgoings, we havent really invested heavily at all, which is strange.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

Beundia £35m

Bailey £30m

Ings £25m

True but at some point we have to put that calamity behind us and start taking our current situation seriously. Those 3 are good acquisitions but we had 36-year-old Ashley Young playing 5 different positions in the last 3 games. We also lost our best player in 20 years. We also have an injury crisis ongoing.

So I think people are in fact entitled to want another signing before the window shuts, regardless of the situation 4 years ago. This is different and we have a great opportunity to keep pushing on. The investment has been good but we can't act like we've achieved anything yet and the squad still has holes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The truth, or is this it?

Whether you’re in business or on the pull, there’s a higher chance of success if you don’t appear desperate. 

I'm edging towards us saving for JWP next season. Contract signed with release clause. No coincidence he has the same agent as Grealish, maybe he has already been promised to us. Southampton are going nowhere, an pretty shocking he signed that new deal, unless that famous release clause was put in.

On a random note, surprised Wet Spam didn't go all out for Lingard. He ain't getting a game now Ronaldo's signed, wants game too. Don't think he is for us though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they get to see a full game with Ings and Watkins starting.

I've started to realise Ings isn't just a " striker ", he's an intelligent footballer who can make plays too.

yeah, Ings is a striker, but he is a striker who works hard and likes to link play by going wide or dropping deep, he's a bit like a "complete forward" tbh, as in he is good at most things, link play, vision, passing, pressing, workrate, finishing etc.

i tihnk it will work great with watkins leading the line, and Ings acting as some sort of false 9, roaming striker/forward.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Yeah, might as well give up hope now and start planning for relegation...  We only broke our transfer record for the 3rd summer in a row again for Buendia and added 4 quality players to the squad and while only losing one quality, but injury prone player.  Definitely signals our owners have given up to me...

Not new money though is it. It’s money that is covered by the sale of our best player. We’ve already seen that we are going to struggle without him. The three games so far, we have played woefully.  

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think anyone is unhappy with our purchases.

I think in isolation, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young and Tuanzebe are an excellent group of signings.

The issue i think people do have, is we lost Mike Lubb for 100m, meaning our effective net spend is zero, and as per the club statement, Ings, Buendia and bailey are effectively to "replace the output of Gresford".

So basically, we are roughly standing still, or may be slightly behind, or ahead of last year, we dont know yet, but what we do know, is we are slightly in the green this window in terms of spend (or at worst net zero), and considering some gaps in the team, many (inc. myself) find it amazing that we arent trying to fix at least one of our glaring issues (a no.6).

The thingi  find doubly strange in relation to a no.6, is while we have many promising youth players in other positons, such as the wings, striker, midfield, defence, we dont have a high potential youth player coming through in the short term at DM, so there is no excuse there for not wanting a top class no.6.

So yeah, in closing, i dont think anyone can be unhappy with our purchases, they are top notch purchases, but when you factor in incomings AND outgoings, we havent really invested heavily at all, which is strange.

100% this.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Not new money though is it. It’s money that is covered by the sale of our best player. We’ve already seen that we are going to struggle without him. The three games so far, we have played woefully.  

Only woeful in one half really

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they get to see a full game with Ings and Watkins starting.

I've started to realise Ings isn't just a " striker ", he's an intelligent footballer who can make plays too.

Agreed. I understand some of the concern re: midfield but I'm particularly excited to see those two link up when we've more of a squad to pick from, think they'll really work well alongside each other.

48 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Agreed. Suggests a lack of interest or trust from the owners. Kinda how Lerner started to wrap things up with us. Does what is needed to keep the club going, but won’t give it the extra push needed to break the elite. 

We've spent nearly £100m this summer. As we did last summer. Plus the season before. 

We need to become sustainable to a certain degree. Can't keep throwing money at new players. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Not saying this won't ultimately be the case, however, i'm still trying to figure out, how we've made these conclusions, after 3 games, where we haven't played a full strength team even ONE time yet?

Any " struggle " would have less to do with him, and more to do with our midfield. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

On a random note, surprised Wet Spam didn't go all out for Lingard. He ain't getting a game now Ronaldo's signed, wants game too. Don't think he is for us though.

I would only see Lingard as a possible loan for us, I can't imagine we would want a permanent deal and as we have already got Tuanzebe on loan from Utd that rules out any further loans from them

38 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

How long are we going to keep referring back to what might have been?

Yes, we were in the shit 3 years ago. We're not now, and our owners deserve (and receive) the adulation of the fans for that.

But, that doesn't mean we're not allowed to assess the quality of the squad and state where we feel it could need improving.

I promise you this, it doesn’t matter how much these owners spend, we will always, always, need one more!

• Like 1