Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

We aren't going to be signing Chukwuemeka's brother just to keep him happy, he's a very promising academy player but I don't think he holds that much sway that he has that kind of influence on our transfer dealings. We've signed Caleb because he's a promising player in his own right, as evidenced by the fact that he was also wanted by other clubs like Brugge, Spurs and Rangers. Of course the fact that they're brothers will have it's benefits, but won't be the only reason they're both at the club.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I never said anything about Chuk being too young to stick around and play. I just said personally that’s what I would do. I’d loan him out as the next step in his development, as I think he’d get more games at a Championship club than he will here.

..and here’s an equally pointless counter list of successfully loaned-out youth players … Grealish, Bale, Kane, Tammy, Lampard, Terry, Beckham…. Etc etc. 

Yeah we dont have the luxury to loan him out and i think and you can quote me later down the line he will be a revelation for us this season once he is given hes fair share of minutes, just my point was if your at a certain standard you dont need to be loaned out and can be mixed in slowly with the team

12 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Saints never accepted a bid from us so JWP never had the option to accept or reject Villa

It doesn't really work like that though. If he wanted to force through a move he could have, instead he opted to sign a  new contract. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

For around the same fee as JWP

Villa could be chasing Boubacar Kamara & Houssem Aouar. both are great young midfielders with high potentials to become something fantastic.  both probably could be got for a combined £50m 

Houssem Aouar oh yes pleaseeeee , that would be a absolute fantastic signing and would certainly change the whole dynamics of our midfield play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

It doesn't really work like that though. If he wanted to force through a move he could have, instead he opted to sign a  new contract. 

But again that only seems to happen  if the value isn't that far apart. We were never going to land JWP for £25m - he would have looked a bit of an arse trying to force through a £25m to villa. 

As each press conference passes, I get more and more nervous about our transfer business and how well we’ll do this season. 

We’ve improved the squad, but I’m not sure our first XI is any better. We desperately need at least one more central midfielder. If they don’t bring anybody else in, I’ll have to question the wisdom of whoever thinks our midfield isn’t atrocious. 

Sleepwalking into a bit of a disaster. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As each press conference passes, I get more and more nervous about our transfer business and how well we’ll do this season. 

We’ve improved the squad, but I’m not sure our first XI is any better. We desperately need at least one more central midfielder. If they don’t bring anybody else in, I’ll have to question the wisdom of whoever thinks our midfield isn’t atrocious. 

I was getting excited about our transfer window when Ings and Bailey came in but I have to say I’m feeling a little flat now.  Losing Grealish is a big blow and we are now resting that creativity on Buendia and Bailey, that’s a huge risk.  Added to our weak midfield, as you say I don’t feel our first XI is any stronger than last seasons first XI.  

Mid table feels a realistic target for the season and I haven’t taken into consideration the first game of the season first half woeful performance.

we’ve brought really well but the next step up in the league is a big one and we don’t have enough yet imo.

I feel like it’s at a point now where the targets we were after are not going to happen. So the club are hesitant to spend  ~£30M+ on players who would be 6th/7th choice, if they were even considered.

Definitely feel a bit flat, as it feels like we have a good chance to close the gap on the teams above us this season, hoping we might sneak 1 or 2 more in before the end of the window, but as others have said, it feels like we are done.

• Like 1

When it comes to things Smith does/doesn't say at press conferences, look at it like this:

Smith: "We're desparate for a central midfielder and we're a rich club who just received a massive fee for our former captain so we'll be looking to get somebody in" = clubs will hold us random to higher prices than usual (even more than they already are)

or

Smith: "We're easy on transfers. If we don't get anybody else in, I'm happy with what we have" = less of a sense of desparation/panic buying and clubs will be more likely to play fair with us.

It's smart for Smith to not go blabbing to the media about what we want/don't want and how desparate we are. I seem to remember it being the same message of 'unlikely transfers' before we signed Sanson. European football is financially decimated and I'm sure something will pop up between now and deadline day.

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

When it comes to things Smith does/doesn't say at press conferences, look at it like this:

Smith: "We're desparate for a central midfielder and we're a rich club who just received a massive fee for our former captain so we'll be looking to get somebody in" = clubs will hold us random to higher prices than usual (even more than they already are)

or

Smith: "We're easy on transfers. If we don't get anybody else in, I'm happy with what we have" = less of a sense of desparation/panic buying and clubs will be more likely to play fair with us.

It's smart for Smith to not go blabbing to the media about what we want/don't want and how desparate we are. I seem to remember it being the same message of 'unlikely transfers' before we signed Sanson. European football is financially decimated and I'm sure something will pop up between now and deadline day.

Yep. Smith saying he's happy with the squad as it is isn't evidence that we will indeed bring more people in, but IF we were actively looking, it's unlikely his public comments would be any different.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Houssem Aouar oh yes pleaseeeee , that would be a absolute fantastic signing and would certainly change the whole dynamics of our midfield play.

I can’t see Dean signing a guy like that though. Apparently he has a very bad attitude plus is brother acts like he’s Raiola, demanding £10 million for “his services as an agent.” But I agree, he would be a massive upgrade to the midfield.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our midfield isn’t atrocious. But it’s certainly not good enough for us to challenge for a Top 8 spot, which should be the aim.

One of my biggest concerns about us not strengthening is having a poor season, then players like Martinez start to think about CL football.

We can’t afford to take 2 steps back this year, regardless of Grealish leaving.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

or

I don't buy the argument - I really dont.

The instant we pick up the phone the club know we are interested.  Also the level of player we are after is going to have more than one suitor (most likely).  Take Damsguard for example multiple clubs interested with a rumoured fee of £30m - Could you really see us getting him for £25m - because smith said he's happy with the squad he currently has ?