Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Palace apparently in talks over an 8m deal for Olise........we should be all over that!, just like we should have been all over Eze last summer!

Agreed, 8m is an absolute steal wtf

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I mentioned earlier that with us pursuing Smith Rowe and having such high hopes for Chukwuemeka, signing Olise wouldn't make much sense at all.

That logic relies on us being successful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve wondered exactly this. I do count Young but I would have expected another by now. Not particularly bothered, nobody seems to be doing that much in the market and we got our number 1 target but yes, thought we’d get 3 in by before our first pre season game, so still time.

Maybe the players he wants are playing or, have been playing, at the Euros and that's why we haven't signed them yet? 

7 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

So shall we sign Olise and keep the receipt in case we need to take him back later?

Do you genuinely expect us to sign Smith-Rowe? As in, probability-wise, do you think it's more likely he will join us than stay where he is?

Just now, est1874 said:

Do you genuinely expect us to sign Smith-Rowe? As in, probability-wise, do you think it's more likely he will join us than stay where he is?

I have no idea. 

It seems that we are very keen and would like to sign him more than any other player at the moment. If successful then we won't need Olise, so it would be foolish to activate a release clause until the Smith Rowe situation has reached its conclusion. 

I like Olise and would have liked for us to sign him, but Smith Rowe is the much higher rated of the two and more proven, you don't go from trying to sign Smith Rowe and then turning to Olise if you fail, if we don't get Smith Rowe then we will go for someone else closer to his ability than is Olise.

Smith Rowe would be our biggest signing in a long time and would come straight into the first team, whereas Olise would probably just be a squad player

12 minutes ago, useless said:

I like Olise and would have liked for us to sign him, but Smith Rowe is the much higher rated of the two and more proven, you don't go from trying to sign Smith Rowe and then turning to Olise if you fail, if we don't get Smith Rowe then we will go for someone else closer to his ability than is Olise.

Smith Rowe would be our biggest signing in a long time and would come straight into the first team, whereas Olise would probably just be a squad player

Such as whom though? That would be available within our budget and would join Villa? It's not exactly a huge list. Olise is very talented, and if ESR isn't looking likely to Lange et al then we'd be fools to turn our nose up at him, the way some on here appear to be. We did well from Cash and Watkins last season and expect to do well from Buendia this year; we're not suddenly too big to sign a first team player from the Championship.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Such as whom though? That would be available within our budget and would join Villa? It's not exactly a huge list. Olise is very talented, and if ESR isn't looking likely to Lange et al then we'd be fools to turn our nose up at him, the way some on here appear to be. We did well from Cash and Watkins last season and expect to do well from Buendia this year; we're not suddenly too big to sign a first team player from the Championship.

I would assume that's why we've spent millions of pounds, spent months of time and headhunted from a host of competitor clubs to assemble one of the best scouting and recruitment teams in the country?

Believe it or not it's not down to VT to decide who our targets are...

• Like 2

Well we're bidding £30m plus for Smith Rowe, so I imagine there would be plenty of players that we could get that are better than Olise for that kind of money and that would be prepared to join us. As I said we're bidding for Smith Rowe because we want a starting No.10/attacking midfielder to replace Barkley, Olise wouldn't even be a starter for us, so it wouldn't makes sense to go for him as an alternative.

• Like 1

Just now, Steero113 said:

I would assume that's why we've spent millions of pounds, spent months of time and headhunted from a host of competitor clubs to assemble one of the best scouting and recruitment teams in the country?

Believe it or not it's not down to VT to decide who our targets are...

🙄 This is a discussion forum. Someone mentioned Olise was going for £8m and I said it's a steal and also that we can't really afford to be turning our noses up at talented players like that just because we're also being linked to 'bigger' now. 

If you can't suggest one or two realistic targets other than ESR who can fill the #10 role, then that just proves my point really.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

🙄 This is a discussion forum. Someone mentioned Olise was going for £8m and I said it's a steal and also that we can't really afford to be turning our noses up at talented players like that just because we're also being linked to 'bigger' now. 

If you can't suggest one or two realistic targets other than ESR who can fill the #10 role, then that just proves my point really.

Daichi Kamada

De Arrascaeta

Julian Brandt

All in the same bracket of "attainability" as ESR and miles above Olise in terms of quality and experience. 

• Like 1

Olise looks a talent, but at 18/19 he's unlikely to be a starter for us and would send the wrong message to our own academy players who are knocking on the door of the first team Ramsay/Chuk. I think we're looking to sign players who can instantly improve our first 11 and the young players will get minutes from the bench/cups or more if they can push on.

I like Olise, was very impressed with him the few times I saw him last season, but think some might be overrating him a little on here, probably based on hype. He's good, but looking on the Reading forums he's also very inconsistent in his performances for them, if he was really as good as some think then more and better teams than Palace would be in for him at £8M.

And I say that as someone who likes him and would have liked us to sign him, just not as someone to come straight into our starting eleven as the main No.10 which is obviously what we're trying to sign Smith Rowe for.