Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

We need to be clever how we manage the game. Traore has let Bertrand go a few times and it looks dangerous when he goes on the over lap with Armstrong. Need to utilise Trezeguets strengths tonight. He'll work his balls off in an area where we are kinda been exposed in.

• Like 2

I don't normally get annoyed or frustrated with commentators, but these are pissing me off (maybe because I've had a beer)

Yes Southampton were the better team in that first half, but they are talking like it's David flooring Goliath with a sling shot. Idiots. 

Three shots on target and a goal. Unlucky it's not more.

Southampton have been very wasteful. Credit to the defensive work as so far, all they've had is pot shots from outside the box.

Mings and Konsa have put in some crucial blocks as Targett and Cash have worked hard to get the ball out and sit deep when required.

Not sure what the officials were looking at for the penalty shout, but we got lucky there by my estimation. I'd be furious if I were a Soton fan.

That said, we've been robbed of about 9 points by VAR this season, so I'll take it.

Great assist from Jack for the goal.

1 minute ago, striker said:

Real smash and grab first half.

Wakins needs to hold onto the ball better as everything was bouncing off him constantly giving back possession.

Positives were the goal and the defending which were very good but Southampton must be head scratching how they finished the first half 1 down.

Yeah but we've by far created the best chances.

Can't remember Martinez having to work too much so far

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I think that's the worst half of football we've played this season honestly.

Including conceding three v Leeds.

Get stuck into em Deano.

last time we played this lot we let in 4 goals in 45min. surely this is better?

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I think that's the worst half of football we've played this season honestly.

Including conceding three v Leeds.

Get stuck into em Deano.

Inclined to agree. Outplayed up until minute 40 where we slightly improved.

They’re playing through Luiz and McGinn at ease in the middle - We need to sort that. Traore has been poor id say. 

Still, we’re winning and whilst we haven’t been great, they haven’t created anything really clean cut. We can win this.

Oh, and it was a penalty. As clear as day. 

Even game in my book, Southampton have had plenty of possession but no real quality and we have had the opposite , less possession but one moment of quality. Barkley looks short of match fitness and Mc Ginn looks a little lost. Traora is such a rough diamond, moments of pure brilliance while lacking in concentration at other times .

Can we see this out? Next goal wins the game for me. 

Traore and Ross for Trez and Sanson. The extra level of press will be the perfect counter to how fast they'll come out second half. 

If not I predict Traore to continue getting walked past without putting in a tackle until they score down their left, at which point we'll take him off for Davis. 😁

Edited by IrishVillain

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I don't normally get annoyed or frustrated with commentators, but these are pissing me off (maybe because I've had a beer)

Yes Southampton were the better team in that first half, but they are talking like it's David flooring Goliath with a sling shot. Idiots. 

don't bother listening to it. we have had better chances and that says a lot.

I commented last week that we show signs of being very much a confidence team. We need to shake that.

Seems the result last week made us cagey and nervous from front to back.

When we finally started probing and got the goal, we transformed.

Still think we need a tweak though as Southampton we well and far on top for most of it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Felt we were slower but also the formations were a missmatch, being bossed until the goal which seemed to totally deflate them and boost us. Barkley seemed to drop deep almost inbetween of luiz and mcginn hopefully that is roughly where he stays and not just to see out the last few minutes until ht.