Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Happy bday! I hope you wished for a Barkley hat trick

Thanks! The wife bought me a litre bottle of Jamesons. All I need now is a Villa win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not Barkley himself, it's the position he's playing - we're giving away the midfield.

In the second half we can't afford to have two up top.

I dunno. He never looks to have the legs for me. I'd prefer a CAM with some sort of engine to cover ground

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not Barkley himself, it's the position he's playing - we're giving away the midfield.

In the second half we can't afford to have two up top.

ye, Barkley doesnt work too hard does he, and hes very "forward", almost like a second striker rather than an AM that does the MC duties and forward duties.

under pressure for the majority of that half, but we still created some chances and scored off of one. Soton will probably press on in the second half even harder now so we need to be sharper and cover more ground if we're to win this. I'd exploit the counter on the wings a bit more in the second half.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno. He never looks to have the legs for me. I'd prefer a CAM with some sort of engine to cover ground

well we dont have a player like tha..........o wait :P

Feels strange to say as we are winning but that was our worst first half of the season for me. We've been way off it, Southampton have been swarming us, they also seem to have the better of us, I hate playing them. McGinn and Barkley have been poor, although great goal. The two fullbacks have also been way off it, Targett has been constantly excellent but his poorest game in a long time today.

We need to improve if we want to win.

On a positive note Watkins gas been excellent again, seems to have regained his confidence.

• Like 1

The big difference between Villa and Southampton?

Villa player receives the ball and instantly gets challenged by 1 or 2 players.

Southampton player receives the ball turns, turns again, looks around a bit, turns again, passes it, then a Villa player arrives.

We are so slow to press and are generally nowhere near the opposition.  This is basic training ground stuff lads.  Pathetic. 

No idea how we are ahead...

• Haha 1

Thought we looked fairly poor through that half so I'm not sure how we're going in ahead but we'll take it. Was an excellent goal from Grealish and Barkley. 

We can definitely get at Saints through Grealish's side but we just need to deal with the press a bit better. 

Southampton press well and box well when soaking up attacks. They didn't offer anything of real threat. I feel like we've handled them well at the back, just getting subsumed in the midfield. It's a fine balance.

Watkins unlucky to have not scored twice.

Ross took his goal well despite being isolated at times.

It's hard to break a team down when they put 8 or more behind the ball and put 4 men on Grealish.

Enterprising, if a sloppy period mid-way through the half.

All Sky had was the non-handball to talk about.

The goal was a massive confidence boost for everyone.

Typical away fixture - soak up the pressure and counter.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Barkley is definitely playing in a second striker position - it's allowing Southampton far too much of the game and we're losing midfield. 

It's a cracking goal, but I'd still be looking to change things.

Absolutely. We’ve been murdered in the middle. Romeu is absolutely bullying us. Either Ross needs to drop deeper, or sub him for Sanson. Bertie’s defensive contribution, or lack thereof, is also leaving us very open down their left. We’re lucky to be ahead here, as this was about as uncomfortable I’ve seen us all season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andym said:

Pretty poor overall, but we are the only team working the keeper

For all the commentators efforts to convince people Soton are battering us, how many saves have they forced Emi into?

They did also mention that for all their domination that Emi hasn't had a save to make and that we have had the better chances.