The Reinvention of the Offside Law

KentVillan

As I tried to say in the post. It's not about whether he was or wasn't offside. It's that they clearly didn't do the "laser line" millimetre analysis that usually pops up when there's a tight offside call. That's separate from whether they "check" a replay quickly for infringements.

And according to the Sky broadcast team, that was because of Schar's touch.

Forget about whether you think Watkins was behind the ball as it was played - he might have been, but that's irrelevant. It wasn't checked in the same way it normally would be. The referees are rewriting rules to cover their own arses.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have absolutely no idea what the offside rule is anymore. 

What i do know for definite is that the offside rules can change match by match and can even change during a match, depending on who is playing. I am 100% certain of that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

As I tried to say in the post. It's not about whether he was or wasn't offside. It's that they clearly didn't do the "laser line" millimetre analysis that usually pops up when there's a tight offside call. That's separate from whether they "check" a replay quickly for infringements.

And according to the Sky broadcast team, that was because of Schar's touch.

Forget about whether you think Watkins was behind the ball as it was played - he might have been, but that's irrelevant. It wasn't checked in the same way it normally would be. The referees are rewriting rules to cover their own arses.

I can't believe Sky would say something that stupid, if they did that's hilarious. 

Watkins was onside because he was behind the ball, nothing to do with the defenders touch.

The real talking about that goal is what was the Newcastle goalie doing when he came out?  Did he forget he had hands?  Also, when he jumps he gets like half a foot off the ground. All around awful attempt at a save there. 

33 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Exactly. And given the lengths the commentators and pundits went to in order to say that Schar’s touch played Watkins onside regardless of his position, I think we can take it that the Premier League and its broadcasters are all now in lockstep over the new interpretation. A brand new, revolutionary interpretation of a long-established law, halfway through a season, totally out of line with other European leagues and without any announcement, discussion, or even change to the written laws. Unprecedented (and insane).

Yep agree.

and watch them change the law back again in a few games time when its a critical goal in a way that benefits either Mancs or Pool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Dion Dublin, whilst staring at a graphic that showed the ball being played BACK to Watkins, saying he was offside when the ball was played. 

NO! NO! NO! You are not offside if you are behind the f***** ball! 

The rest of it is irrelevant.

I'm in the states but their is no way actual footballers are saying Watkins is offside on the initial touch. Have they completely forgotten one of the simplest parts of the offside law. 

Next thing we know they will be calling people offside on throw ins or goal kicks. 😂

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Dion Dublin, whilst staring at a graphic that showed the ball being played BACK to Watkins, saying he was offside when the ball was played. 

Is he behind the ball though? It looks ridiculously close. I’ve seen previous Watkins goals that look more onside than that chalked off with the lines. If that’s being checked for offside then I’d expect the lines to be being drawn as we’ve seen in every other example of this sort of decision.

To me it looks like VAR have checked it, seen the touch by the defender and not bothered with the line drawing exercise as it’s irrelevant now that we’ve completely changed the offside rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

definitely behind the ball there

Before VAR I'd agree. It's level. Never been offside.

These days ones that are level tend to be called offside with a line that seems to defy physics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m confused. On motd they are saying he was offside when the cross was put in but he is behind the ball. What’s the rule?

If he's behind the ball then he's onside

If they've ruled him onside because of schars touch then they are wrong and can get in the **** sea before they completely ruin the game 

Feel like sky et al are trying to make out like this somehow balances Wednesdays decision, it doesn't, Wednesday was still a terrible decision, if they rule that this was onside because of schars touch then this one is even worse 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

If he's behind the ball then he's onside

If they've ruled him onside because of schars touch then they are wrong and can get in the **** sea before they completely ruin the game 

Feel like sky et al are trying to make out like this somehow balances Wednesdays decision, it doesn't, Wednesday was still a terrible decision, if they rule that this was onside because of schars touch then this one is even worse 

They drew the line but totally ignored where the ball was. It wouldn’t even surprise me if Schar hadn’t touched it they gave it offside.  Pundits are shocking.

Just now, One For The Road said:

We were robbed last week and given the perfectly correct decision this week. 

We are still owed a shit load of bad decisions in our favour. This wasn't one of them.

Haven't you heard? 

Last season VAR ruled out a golden goal winner that would have relegated us

We will forever be balancing that wrong doing 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

They drew the line but totally ignored where the ball was. It wouldn’t even surprise me if Schar hadn’t touched it they gave it offside.  Pundits are shocking.

My first thought was they were going to get the lines out and disallow it, didn't see the line, it should come from the ball, it'll be really tight, maybe a knee hair off 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Haven't you heard? 

Last season VAR ruled out a golden goal winner that would have relegated us

We will forever be balancing that wrong doing 

Yes thats right. The one in the dying moments of the final game of the season, from which there couldn't possibly be any comeback?

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

This is what i thought originally, hes onside as behind the ball when played. But Dion said he was offside when ball crossed but was then onside because the defender touched the ball.

Regardless of which one is correct, how the hell are coaches meant to tell defenders not to touch the ball when a cross comes in just in case the attacker was offside. Defenders always call for offside regardless of where the attacker is. And if I were a coach and the defenders kept leaving the ball just in case, I would be going mad at them.

TOTALLY BONKERS RULE

Â