General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Has anyone seen the new offside rule? The attacking player must be fully beyond the defender to be offside.

IMG-9659.jpg

Does anyone know if the PL are applying this?

Feels like (another) horrible rule change.  I'm not entirely sure what the solution is, but it isn't this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Feels like (another) horrible rule change.  I'm not entirely sure what the solution is, but it isn't this.

I feel for the many defenders who are going to look really stupid

Just now, Genie said:

I feel for the many defenders who are going to look really stupid

Well, it just (theoretically) changes the game from teams playing a high line to teams playing really deep.  Purely to negate attackers being generally quicker.  You won't be able to gain the slight advantage from stepping up in an organised way as you'd need to move too much (again, theoretically) in a tiny time frame.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Surely back in the day when there had to be 'daylight' between attacker and defender to be offside it was the same as this?  I much prefer it this way where as long as you have something in line with the defender you are onside.  

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Surely back in the day when there had to be 'daylight' between attacker and defender to be offside it was the same as this?  I much prefer it this way where as long as you have something in line with the defender you are onside.  

Doesn't mean that's better than currently.

Having thought about it a little bit, I think I'd like to see offside purely based on feet position so attackers can still get the benefit of making a great run and not being penalised by having their shoulders offside, but equally they can't be significantly ahead of the defender.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Doesn't mean that's better than currently.

Having thought about it a little bit, I think I'd like to see offside purely based on feet position so attackers can still get the benefit of making a great run and not being penalised by having their shoulders offside, but equally they can't be significantly ahead of the defender.

That’s my idea too, forget about the rest of the body, base it on the foot.

I think the new rule is going to look ridiculous in reality and will probably get quickly retracted. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That’s my idea too, forget about the rest of the body, base it on the foot.

I think the new rule is going to look ridiculous in reality and will probably get quickly retracted. 

The example they show that it is now a pube offside even looks ridiculous. There's a whole extra person width of daylight there that could now be onside. You'd have thought someone would look at that and go "Hmm, not sure about this actually."

Edited by fightoffyour

Offside is a rule that was designed for human eye instant judgements, as such it essentially has inbuilt margins and boils down to a 'spirit of' type of rule rather than one that today the game wants to make hard and fast with clear delineations rather than vagaries. The more you try to make it an unquestionable matter of fact the more the rule gets ****.

The current situation, where we're **** around with lines forever using technology that cannot deliver a level of accuracy they imply it does, where someone can be called offside for an imperceptible breaking of the line that in reality makes no difference to anything, is ridiculous. Equally having someone be considered 'onside' when their leading leg could be 6 foot ahead of the defender is absurd.

The rule isn't designed for this kind of thing. You can't create a definition without vagary based on a rule that essentially boiled down to the lineman's judgement, based on human reaction speed and the eyes ability to perceive things, of 'looks offside to me'. This new interpretation will only serve to piss more people off because everyone and his dog who has watched football in their lifetime would look at the example given and say 'offside'. And that isn't what pissed people off about offside, it was the really blatant examples of bad decisions. Now the rule has been changed so that really blatant bad calls are now fine, and the only way to be offside is to be so egregiously offside the blind would give it.

Stop **** with it.

• Like 4

New offside rule will lead to loads of low block games as teams drop defenders mega deep to avoid being stuffed. As a result, 6 out of 10 games will be 0-0 draws, 2 out of 10 will be teams winning 12 - 10, and 2 games will be normal.

This is a terrible idea.

Although it probably is bad for Man City, given the way they play, so maybe we'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely **** BS.

They cheat as it is and give top sides every 70/30 decision anyway.

This will be abused to a horrible degree. Record time added when Liverpool are losing, or three and a half mins if Luton are 2-1 down at home to Spurs pushing for an equaliser.

Clubs need to watch this like a hawk because it will be abused from week 1.

• Like 3

Nah, football is still largely about momentum and teams using gamesmanship to stop it, they have to stop it, faking injuries, goalkeepers taking the piss etc etc stopped clock won't do it, not sure 10 mins of injury time every half will either

What they need to do is stop diving and faking injuries, you get treatment you sit out for 2 minutes or something like that

Definitely need to stop this bullshit where a player goes down injured, comes off, goes back on then sits down again... Because the sub isn't ready

Refs have rules and the ability to stop some of this stuff already but they don't have the balls or the common sense to do so

Player goes down a yard from the touch line, don't stop the game, literally roll him over once and play on... They'll never ever do it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely **** BS.

They cheat as it is and give top sides every 70/30 decision anyway.

This will be abused to a horrible degree. Record time added when Liverpool are losing, or three and a half mins if Luton are 2-1 down at home to Spurs pushing for an equaliser.

Clubs need to watch this like a hawk because it will be abused from week 1.

Isnt it already a yellow card for a lengthy or over-celebration? 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Nah, football is still largely about momentum and teams using gamesmanship to stop it, they have to stop it, faking injuries, goalkeepers taking the piss etc etc stopped clock won't do it, not sure 10 mins of injury time every half will either

What they need to do is stop diving and faking injuries, you get treatment you sit out for 2 minutes or something like that

Definitely need to stop this bullshit where a player goes down injured, comes off, goes back on then sits down again... Because the sub isn't ready

Refs have rules and the ability to stop some of this stuff already but they don't have the balls or the common sense to do so

Player goes down a yard from the touch line, don't stop the game, literally roll him over once and play on... They'll never ever do it

Disagree I think it would stop most of it. Not for momentum halting reasons but I don’t think that’s the reason for most time wasting.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â