General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

With VAR simply put they’ve decided nothing subjective will be overturned. Only factual decisions which makes the entire thing pointless as the on field ref makes the decision. They’re not using it as a helpful tool to support that onfield ref. It’s purely to correct their objective mistakes. 

Therefore absolutely not fit for purpose. 

16 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I don’t understand how a challenge can be checked for a red card, but then only result in a red card or back to the refs original decision.

That tackle on Philogene today was a clear yellow at least, but VAR checked it for a red card, didn’t think it warranted it, but was then unable to ask the ref to go to the screen to double check his original shit decision of no yellow.

If they reviewed every single yellow card decision, you'd basically be re-refereeing the game.

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If they reviewed every single yellow card decision, you'd basically be re-refereeing the game.

Yeah I get that

But at the same time it is weird that they can review dangerous play and red card offences and they can say yes or no to the red card but they can't say it's not a red card it's only a yellow

Was Ollie's elbow reviewed yesterday? Same there, they can review it, they can say no it's not a red but they can't say give a yellow

It doesn't make a lot of sense 

edit - i dont think they can give a free kick following a red card review either

example that if its a corner, ball comes in, goes out for another corner, VAR spots some arms swinging by an attacker, red card review, no red card its not that bad - the result from that review would be the other corner, it wouldn't be no red card but its still a foul free kick to the defending team

and that does diminish the point of an already failing system

Edited by villa4europe

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I get that

But at the same time it is weird that they can review dangerous play and red card offences and they can say yes or no to the red card but they can't say it's not a red card it's only a yellow

Was Ollie's elbow reviewed yesterday? Same there, they can review it, they can say no it's not a red but they can't say give a yellow

It doesn't make a lot of sense 

edit - i dont think they can give a free kick following a red card review either

example that if its a corner, ball comes in, goes out for another corner, VAR spots some arms swinging by an attacker, red card review, no red card its not that bad - the result from that review would be the other corner, it wouldn't be no red card but its still a foul free kick to the defending team

and that does diminish the point of an already failing system

No, because if he then got sent off for another yellow card and they haven't reviewed a possible yellow card from, say, Morsy (lol) then the system is entirely unfair.  Whereas a red card offence (1 card) is a one-off event.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

No, because if he then got sent off for another yellow card and they haven't reviewed a possible yellow card from, say, Morsy (lol) then the system is entirely unfair.  Whereas a red card offence (1 card) is a one-off event.

but what you're doing is reviewing something and still getting a wrong answer 

I'll give another example, a tackle in the penalty area, on field ref says no penalty and a goal kick, VAR reviews it and agrees its no penalty because the defender kicked the ball, the result of the play is a goal kick because VAR can say no penalty but it cant correct the goal kick / corner mistake

it undermines the whole thing

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but what you're doing is reviewing something and still getting a wrong answer 

I'll give another example, a tackle in the penalty area, on field ref says no penalty and a goal kick, VAR reviews it and agrees its no penalty because the defender kicked the ball, the result of the play is a goal kick because VAR can say no penalty but it cant correct the goal kick / corner mistake

it undermines the whole thing

I think in that example, it makes sense and would be fine to restart with a corner assuming play has stopped at the "goal kick" to review a penalty.  It makes sense to go for a corner.

I just can't see how yellow cards would ever work, though, other than re-refereeing the entire game.

They aren't allowed to overturn subjective red card decisions, so they'll never overturn subjective yellow cards either.

Scrap it and only review offsides. Even handballs they don't really review anymore.

They don't show when the ball leaves the players foot now either for offsides, just the lines. Have they realised it's far from a accurate call when the camera frames are incorrect and the picture of the ball and players foot is blurred anyway.

In reality, a toe offside could never be called when your looking at a blurred still of the ball leaving a foot.

That first half v Petrescu is easily worse than anything I've seen from a prem ref.

Most of the european refs in the CL are just as bad as what we see week in week out domestically.

How can he just wave away the first Upamecano foul on Watkins? Then Kane just scissors Konsa and gets a polite word not to do it again.

Taking away from the two awful decisions I think it does open up an interesting conversation about how far out from goal you need to be for it to be considered denying a goalscoring opportunity

Personally both are yellows, he's too far out 

But I don't know if there is an actual measuring stick for it 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

spacer.png

No attempt to win the ball - he plays the man and pushes into Ollie's chest to take him off balance. Ollie keeps his footing otherwise. It's a foul and a booking. Upamecano got booked for less minutes later. 

Ollie clips his own legs and gets tangled with Upamecano

I actually think the yellow for the foul on Ollie that the ref actually gave was right. I didn't at the time, but looking at it again I think the other defender was covering.

I still think the first one was worse, and was the one that was deserving of a red card. And he didn't even give a foul

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â