General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The interesting thing for me was Dean saying ex footballers can't be involved because they don't know the laws

Shows how over complicated they've decided to change football to when a guy who played professional football for 15 years is determined to not understand it enough

And more importantly it shows that the laws are not being made by people in football, which not only should they be but they'd be very different if they were

the current offside and handball laws were made by someone who's never kicked a ball in their life

Aren't people capable of learning? Mike Dean is an absolute idiot, we all knew that but with he's getting so much screen time now he's really bring exposed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Aren't people capable of learning? Mike Dean is an absolute idiot, we all knew that but with he's getting so much screen time now he's really bring exposed.

Definately, being exposed as the arrogant, all about me ref we all thought he was.

There was another one yesterday Merse saying onside, Dean saying just offside, when VAR checked  it was onside. Note on SSN Dean is looking at screens, he then goes to tell Merson, he was just winding him up and he new it was onside.

I don't know if they can to be honest, we've had the handball rule saying one thing for 10-20 years and it's ingrained on us as to what it is

PGMOL then tweak the rule and people are stuck on what they remember the rule being rather than what the rule actually is

Ex footballers would be the same

But... The story there is stop tweaking the **** rules

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't know if they can to be honest, we've had the handball rule saying one thing for 10-20 years and it's ingrained on us as to what it is

PGMOL then tweak the rule and people are stuck on what they remember the rule being rather than what the rule actually is

But actually being trained on the rules, we all spout our opinions, I'm not sure how many people actually genuinely know the laws!

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

There’s a lot in that. 
But also the “old” handball law was “if in the opinion of the referee it was deliberate…” which led to “last week in the other game that was given for exactly the same thing, and this week it hasn’t been, all we want is consistency from referees

so they clarify the law to say “arm away from the body, it’s automatically handball”

and then you get “but his arm had to be out because he was jumping, it’s completely accidental

And round and round it goes

I wonder whether with the same technology used in automated offside with sensors in the ball and on the players, with handball they can determine the speed the ball was going, where it hit the player and how far the ball travelled and come up with some automatic threshold where it's decided a player can't be expected to have got out of the way.  So then we have a consistent application across the board and no interpretation of clear and obvious and all that.

Interpretation is the problem, PGMOL use it in there rules. But the problem is, each ref has a different interpretation on each individual issue. Example, ball hits oppositions hand at point blank range and blocks a goal. Next ref, ball hits oppositions hand point blank range blocks a goal being scored, so penalty.

Also, unless you stand like a penguin, I'm not sure how they interperate your hand not being in a un natural position. Surely you can see on a replay if the player intentionally handballs, it doesn't seem that hard to me. You can't think about where your hand is when you jump, or dive in to defend, unless it's from yards away. The rules are so overcomplicated, maybe they don't want others to know them.

High threshold for pens this season seemingly if a clear push in the back when player is about to shoot just gets dismissed.

It would be o.k but you can bet the next round of games a player will get clipped under minimal contact, it will be given and it won't be overturned.

Edited by VillaChris

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

High threshold for pens this season seemingly if a clear push in the back when player is about to shoot just gets dismissed.

It would be o.k but you can bet the next round of games a player will get clipped under minimal contact, it will be given and it won't be overturned.

Yep it's the consistency that's the issue. 

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The push may have been given by other refs, that's the problem.

They just don’t care anymore. It’s like the Tories being blatant with lies and corruption. They have their favourites and they will award in their favour.

No. This absolutely has to stop.

Someone needs to have the power to step in now.

You have huge games every week almost being decided by referees who either biased, incompetent or (and I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I'm getting there) corrupt.

This is scandalous.

On 08/10/2023 at 17:03, HKP90 said:

Come on, if refereeing in this country is biased, how can you explain that the top 5 teams awarded the most penalties this year so far are: Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle in that ord......oh.

Fulham, West Ham & Brentford were all in the top 4 for penalties awarded last season so not necessarily a reflection of big team bias. Maybe more to do with how your team tends to attack. Will be interesting to see how it develops the rest of this season. 

On 08/10/2023 at 18:22, rodders0223 said:

No. This absolutely has to stop.

Someone needs to have the power to step in now.

You have huge games every week almost being decided by referees who either biased, incompetent or (and I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I'm getting there) corrupt.

This is dramatic and exciting and part of why the PL is talked about and successful 

FTFY

and that's the conspiracy theory I can buy in to

49 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Fulham, West Ham & Brentford were all in the top 4 for penalties awarded last season so not necessarily a reflection of big team bias. Maybe more to do with how your team tends to attack. Will be interesting to see how it develops the rest of this season. 

See I would have said the same, atrack bias, maybe, but at the time I wrote that Chelsea were 11th after having scored 7 goals in 7 matches. The top 6 in the table having scored a minimum of 15 goals. So Chelsea have been very poor going forward. There is a unifying trait between the clubs recieving penalties, however and that is wealth.

You can’t just decide to take a free kick further back than the foul was awarded can you? That doesn’t seem right.

The handball was being checked for a penalty and was pretty close, then the free kick is allowed to be taken 5 yards back from a more advantageous position.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

You can’t just decide to take a free kick further back than the foul was awarded can you? That doesn’t seem right.

The handball was being checked for a penalty and was pretty close, then the free kick is allowed to be taken 5 yards back from a more advantageous position.

I think you can, but the wall has to stay 10 metres from the original place of the foul.

Or I might have dreamed it. Or it might be rugby laws.

Glad I could help.

• Thanks 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â