Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

I'm a week into intermittent fasting. 12/12 which is really easy. No food 2 hrs before sleep, and no food until 2 hrs after waking. 

So 4 hours of ketosis which should be enough for me because I'm only about 10lbs over my goal of 170. 

Gonna get more exercise soon with the weather improving. 

My ideal weight is 160. I'm 5-10, so 160 is fighting shape. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'm a week into intermittent fasting. 12/12 which is really easy. No food 2 hrs before sleep, and no food until 2 hrs after waking. 

So 4 hours of ketosis which should be enough for me because I'm only about 10lbs over my goal of 170. 

Ah another keto villian. Sounds like your doing well. Have you only been keto a week? 

If you are doing it with intermittent fasting you will lose weight 100% if doing both correctly. Let us know how you get on 

4 hours ago, regular_john said:

Yes and no. The body can make use of glucose, obviously, but as I said - the body is perfectly capable of making enough glucose to meet its own needs. Sugar isn't just glucose though, it's also part fructose, which the body cannot use in any meaningful way. 

Small amounts of sugar are obviously not harmful per se but there's so bloody much of the stuff in the modern diet. Just by having cereals for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and pasta/rice for dinner, you can easily end up having 20+ tsp per day without ever eating anything 'sweet'

I typed out a response to this that somehow never was posted. 

In summary, I don’t really disagree with much of that. 

But I’ll maintain that sugar, being energy, is useful - not just ‘not harmful’ - in limited, moderate and ‘right’ amounts. As I’ve said upthread, I work out a lot. Almost daily and at fairly high intensity/heavy weights. I rarely eat crap food and watch my diet quite carefully, but I need a lot of calories. Getting some of that energy from, say, a drop of honey on my cereal or a sugary protein bar is, even though I could get it from other sources, useful.

Further, you can very easily have a Mars bar or a donut for lunch every day and still lose a tonne of weight/keep a balanced diet. I wouldn’t recommend it, of course, but you categorically wouldn’t be ‘poisoning’ yourself if you did, as long as your overall diet is balanced and right. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Zen said:

I typed out a response to this that somehow never was posted. 

In summary, I don’t really disagree with much of that. 

But I’ll maintain that sugar, being energy, is useful - not just ‘not harmful’ - in limited, moderate and ‘right’ amounts. As I’ve said upthread, I work out a lot. Almost daily and at fairly high intensity/heavy weights. I rarely eat crap food and watch my diet quite carefully, but I need a lot of calories. Getting some of that energy from, say, a drop of honey on my cereal or a sugary protein bar is, even though I could get it from other sources, useful.

Further, you can very easily have a Mars bar or a donut for lunch every day and still lose a tonne of weight/keep a balanced diet. I wouldn’t recommend it, of course, but you categorically wouldn’t be ‘poisoning’ yourself if you did, as long as your overall diet is balanced and right. 

It’s also horses for courses, i tend to do a lot of running/cycling and it would be horrendous without easy access to sugar.

It tends to be quite simple for me, when I’m injured and can’t train my weight fluctuates badly (I got up to 17 stone last April after slipping a disc and couldn’t do any training) but once I can train I tend to be able to eat properly with it, as the body demands the right sort of food and by October I was down to just over 12 1/2 stone. Again since then I have fluctuated a bit as I got injured over the winter but weight is dropping fast again now as I’m training consistently. In each of the times I have shifted weight I’m still eating simple sugars as it’s still very useful for fueling training sessions.

On 20/03/2022 at 17:34, Demitri_C said:

Ah another keto villian. Sounds like your doing well. Have you only been keto a week? 

If you are doing it with intermittent fasting you will lose weight 100% if doing both correctly. Let us know how you get on 

Week 2 now. Some days I push it to 14-15 hours. Its easy, and oddly enjoyable. I feel more alert. 

I've been doing resistance training for abs, arms and thighs. 

I have to eat less pasta and cheese. Its harder to quit than booze!

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 20:59, maqroll said:

What do you mean 4 hours of ketosis? Have you quit carbs? You're in ketosis or not, you don't switch it on and off.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Week 2 now. Some days I push it to 14-15 hours. Its easy, and oddly enjoyable. I feel more alert. 

You can eat cheese on keto. I personally dont eat alot of cheese as i dont want a raised cholesterol but if you have in moderation that is totally fine. I tend to stick with healthy fats like olive oil and avocado 🥑 

Sounds like your doing really well. Keep it up. Like you i find this diet alot easier than calorie based ones

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What do you mean 4 hours of ketosis? Have you quit carbs? You're in ketosis or not, you don't switch it on and off.

Oh, I see. I guess I'm just fasting intermittently then. Doesn't sound as fun.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

If you're adding in resistance training try to add in some exercises to ensure you don't get muscle irregularities and joint/posture problems. Doesnt need to be anything major but if you're doing quads (thighs) make sure you also do some hamstring work. If you do chest/shoulders make sure you do some rear shoulder work. Let me know if you need any advice on that (maybe in the Gym thread) and I'd be happy to help. 

Sorry to harp on about it but Honestly this keto is the best thing thats happened to me.

Went for full blood test ive reversed my pre diabetes, my fatty liver is practically normal now and ive lost almost 2 stone. More energy, cravings have gone and eating less.

Im currently 10 stone, i never thought i got get to 11 stone 5 let alone less than 11 stone. Its actually unbelievable 

Edited by Demitri_C

• 1 month later...

Got the courage to jump back on the scales yesterday and im a stone heavier than the last time i got on them, not good!

Its given me the kickup the arse i needed to have a good month, 15k steps a day, no alcohol and 1700 calories a day limit. I reckon i will shift at least 10 pounds but will aim for the stone.

Will happily report back here in 4 weeks with the results.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Got the courage to jump back on the scales yesterday and im a stone heavier than the last time i got on them, not good!

Its given me the kickup the arse i needed to have a good month, 15k steps a day, no alcohol and 1700 calories a day limit. I reckon i will shift at least 10 pounds but will aim for the stone.

Good luck. Don't get disheartened by the step back and use it for inspiration like you say. 

Have you tried a slower but more steady loss as 2.5lbs a week is a fair amount (depending on current size). Slow and steady is usually easier to stick to and involves less of a rebound as it becomes more of a lifestyle choice. 

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Good luck. Don't get disheartened by the step back and use it for inspiration like you say. 

Have you tried a slower but more steady loss as 2.5lbs a week is a fair amount (depending on current size). Slow and steady is usually easier to stick to and involves less of a rebound as it becomes more of a lifestyle choice. 

I lost about 20 pounds in 7 weeks the last time I did this so I'm fairly certain i can get close to a stone within 4 weeks.

I'll end up slowly putting the weight back no doubt but i would rather a month of graft and then 6 months of enjoying myself, this isnt a lifestyle change its just a kick up the arse for a month.

30 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

This is why i recommend going in scale once a week or evey two weeks so you can avoid this kind of thing happening. But dont worry you have recognised the problem and come up with a plan thag works for you.

Only thing i would say though is of you get to your ideal weight just process how the extra stone weight came about and take steps to ensure it doesnt happen again.

When i hit my heaviest last year i promised myself i would never let myself get that heavy ever again. 12 months later im still a good weight!

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is why i recommend going in scale once a week or evey two weeks so you can avoid this kind of thing happening. But dont worry you have recognised the problem and come up with a plan thag works for you.

Only thing i would say though is of you get to your ideal weight just process how the extra stone weight came about and take steps to ensure it doesnt happen again.

When i hit my heaviest last year i promised myself i would never let myself get that heavy ever again. 12 months later im still a good weight!

Its come about from late night snacking and midweek alcohol, neither of which I'm going to give up long term in all honesty.

56 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Its come about from late night snacking and midweek alcohol, neither of which I'm going to give up long term in all honesty.

Late night snacking is the worst dan. I would try cut that out if possible. I dont eat anything after 7.30.  

On 04/05/2022 at 11:28, AVFCDAN said:

Week 1 - 4 pounds down.

The week in summary is 12k steps per day, drank once, stuck to 1700 calories a day, overall I'm happy with that.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 3

On 04/05/2022 at 13:20, Demitri_C said:

Late night snacking is the worst dan. I would try cut that out if possible. I dont eat anything after 7.30.  

There's not really much to suggest that it matters when you eat but how much.

I'm not suggesting you go out for a 3 course meal at 11pm and then slide right into bed, and yes you're going to mention the alleged benefits on intermittent fasting, but the general consensus of "don't eat too late" is mostly rubbish.

I'll typically eat some crisps or nuts about an hour before I go to bed, because I want to and I struggle to sleep if I'm getting a bit peckish. But then I'll have had less than 1,500 calories before that point on a typical weekday so it's perhaps not surprising I could get hungry later.

Sure I could probably break this routine if I wanted to, but I don't. And that's fine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

There's not really much to suggest that it matters when you eat but how much.

I'm not suggesting you go out for a 3 course meal at 11pm and then slide right into bed, and yes you're going to mention the alleged benefits on intermittent fasting, but the general consensus of "don't eat too late" is mostly rubbish.

I'll typically eat some crisps or nuts about an hour before I go to bed, because I want to and I struggle to sleep if I'm getting a bit peckish. But then I'll have had less than 1,500 calories before that point on a typical weekday so it's perhaps not surprising I could get hungry later.

Sure I could probably break this routine if I wanted to, but I don't. And that's fine.

I dont agree with most of that i am afraid. Snacking at night is probably the worst thing you can do. It spikes your insulin for starters, which you want to prevent if you want to lose weight.

Its not mostly rubbish because your less active so if you eat a load of nuts crisps etc a hour before bed your not gonna be moving much then all that is stored as fat. 

In your case its probably as you say, you dont consume enough calories in the day, or you might have insulin resistance  (most of the population has thats what a high sugar/carb does to us!)

I mean for me before when i was heavy i would eat nuts later maybe a hour or so before bed and i would get absolutely bloated. Next morning id have a belly pop out (im only 38) since ive stopped this my bellys completely gone.

Of course everyone is different but i dint support late night snacking. Just my two cents 🙂

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â