Lamare Bogarde

lexicon

It's a shame that he's had to be relied upon so soon. The right back position is an obvious area of concern and the fact they couldn't address it in the transfer window is worrying. It seems like they tried to but didn't manage it. 

He was superb running with the ball at his feet but his passing was a bit erratic.

Not sure why he was preferred over Nedelkjovic but I thought it was a big ask from Unai to start him out of position for his first premier league experience.

Edited by Ponky

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

I’ve watched a different game, I thought he was fine, possibly slightly better than fine, a net positive performance with some surprisingly bold moments. 

Same here but I remember taking positives from Ramsey’s debut season and Morgan Rogers early on . It’s about taking positives in what these youngsters do correctly they will develop with game time you can’t expect the finished article off straight off the bat. And common sense suggests a team would target a 20 year old RB on his premier league debut…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Have Liverpool not had to draw on their academy/youth players a lot over the past few years? Sure you could find examples for other CL teams as well, we'll be fine

Quansah at Liverpool was on loan with Bogarde at Bristol and then played a fair bit last yr. 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

It's a shame that he's had to be relied upon so soon. The right back position is an obvious area of concern and the fact they couldn't address it in the transfer window is worrying. It seems like they tried to but didn't manage it. 

It was a tough ask, away at a rival in such a frantic game.  He was pretty poor though.  He must have showed he was ready to Emery but I think the occasion got too him.  Let's hope he can learn from it and improve rather than let it affect him negatively 

Thought he did ok and will be better for the experience. 

It shows that Emery believes in him and trusts him and will give him more opportunities.

• Like 2

Valuable experience for the lad. He now knows the intensity, fitness and pace of the premier league. He may have made a few errors, but I recall a former player of ours who had a far worse debut and went on to be a top defender. Ugo Ehiogu RIP had an awful first game for us, but came back stronger and was a top player. 

The game these days is far more punishing of errors, and with tiredness comes mistakes. So I will cut Bogarde some slack and give him time to get up to speed with our system and implementing it in what is probably the toughest league in Europe.

• Like 2

He did OK under the circumstances,  Leicester targeted him as our weak spot and this eventually paid off with the cross coming from our right side for their goal, it was pretty much a free cross with no pressure from any of our players, it was poor from our point of view.

As other have pointed out Emery is giving him experience and that's why he was played ahead of Ned who is also gaining experience.  Would have been nice to have Cash starting but injuries have come along and disrupted us very early. 

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

He did OK under the circumstances,  Leicester targeted him as our weak spot and this eventually paid off with the cross coming from our right side for their goal, it was pretty much a free cross with no pressure from any of our players, it was poor from our point of view.

As other have pointed out Emery is giving him experience and that's why he was played ahead of Ned who is also gaining experience.  Would have been nice to have Cash starting but injuries have come along and disrupted us very early. 

And certainly not the only time that has happened in the past year or so with more experienced players. Wasn't Digne criticised only last week for not blocking a cross?

I understand that the situations weren't exactly the same, but there will always be errors that lead to goals from experienced players & that is part & parcel of football. Where we need to worry is if these errors become regular occurrences with individual players. And we just haven't seen enough of Bogarde in the Premier League to say that will be the case.

But he has all the physical qualities needed to thrive, all of the technical qualities needed to thrive. And I think that once he gets used to the pace of the game at Premier League level, his mental qualities will be just as strong as the other two. And hopefully, as he progresses, his consistency too.

Although I see nothing wrong with people giving their opinions on a players performances, positive or negative. Albeit, some in here have looked at the extreme ends of the scale with their terminology. I would just hope that they would also look at the context of the performance too.

And most people in here seem to have. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised Bogarde is coming in for any criticism at all. He is a young lad, making his debut, in a position that he doesn't normally play in. The fact that he didn't look out of his depth is the main thing and is really promising. Focusing on one error seems ridiculously harsh. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tinker said:

He was clearly tired by that point. He's not experienced the intensity and pace of the PL before. He never even had a sub appearance in the League. Not only that, he's never even played at Championship Level. He'll need time and I'd expect Nedeljkovic to come in at home to Everton. I also expect Carlos and Konsa to start away to Young Boys.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

Think there’s some classic overreactions in here but that being said it’s a bit alarming we have to rely on an inexperienced player in a top flight game when we are a CL team. It’s incredible that we haven’t addressed the RB position unless Unai is far more confident in and reliant on Cash than we realised. 

We’ve got one more RBs than last season, that’s progress I guess. Konsa can play there too, so that’s at least 4 player who can cover, 2 being dedicated RBs.

If Unai didn’t play Konsa there it suggests that we are a CB short, we know this as we have 5 including Bogarde, but Carlos and Mings were injured today, suggesting tactically unai preferred Konsa at CB over Bogarde AND Bogarde at RB rather than Nedeljkovic. This smacks of a tactical move as Ned has two soli£ enough outings behind him now.

It would be great if PSR allowed us to buy big for every position, because NSWE would do, it’s just we are limited in what we can do?

Edited by thunderball

11 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

Excellent point. Just one example - Ollie Watkins had played approx 20 games in League Two at this age and 20 or so games in the Conference South for Weston Super Mare. 

Should have loaned him out then. Chucking him in the deep end is not working. We need better.

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Same here but I remember taking positives from Ramsey’s debut season and Morgan Rogers early on . It’s about taking positives in what these youngsters do correctly they will develop with game time you can’t expect the finished article off straight off the bat. And common sense suggests a team would target a 20 year old RB on his premier league debut…

When Ramsey broke through under Deano his thread was full of he wont make it and we should start Chukwuemeka instead 😂

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â