Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

Ryan.

16 hours ago, Mantis said:

Who is worse, Rooney or Gerrard?

I say Stevie is worse. I think it was harder to keep Wayne Rooney's Derby up (ok he didn't but remember the 21 pts ded) Vs winning the Scottish League.

And sounds like Wayne Rooney's DC United wasn't too bad either under Rooney.

• Like 1

Rooney did keep Derby up, when he was appointed they were six points adrift of safety, that season they stopped up on the final day
The following season when they were relegated, I don't think any manager would have kept them up, twenty-one points deduction and theadbare squad
He did incredibly well to have them so that they weren't confirmed as relegated until April 18th
Without points deduction they would have finishedon 55 points, again with that squad, 55 points worth of wins and draws was a good achievement
I seriously doubt that Gerrard could have done as well at Derby as Rooney did
Rooney was getting pretty much universal praise on here for the job he was doing at Derby, see Derby County thread
It's hard to compare the two as Rooney has gone into situations with big contraints, whereas Gerrard has had big budgets
The comparison seems to be a lazy one really, just because they're both big name former English players from a similar era
I guess where there is a compara, is that the success they've had has sometimes been credited to their assistants
Not saying Rooney is particularly good, but I don't think one can say with any certainty that Gerrard is a better manager
I think Rooney more likely to have done as well at Rangers as Gerrard did, than Gerrard is to have done as well at Derby as Rooney did
 :twisted:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, useless said:

Rooney did keep Derby up, when he was appointed they were six points adrift of safety, that season they stopped up on the final day
The following season when they were relegated, I don't think any manager would have kept them up, twenty-one points deduction and theadbare squad
He did incredibly well to have them so that they weren't confirmed as relegated until April 18th
Without points deduction they would have finishedon 55 points, again with that squad, 55 points worth of wins and draws was a good achievement
I seriously doubt that Gerrard could have done as well at Derby as Rooney did
Rooney was getting pretty much universal praise on here for the job he was doing at Derby, see Derby County thread
It's hard to compare the two as Rooney has gone into situations with big contraints, whereas Gerrard has had big budgets
The comparison seems to be a lazy one really, just because they're both big name former English players from a similar era
I guess where there is a compara, is that the success they've had has sometimes been credited to their assistants
Not saying Rooney is particularly good, but I don't think one can say with any certainty that Gerrard is a better manager
I think Rooney more likely to have done as well at Rangers as Gerrard did, than Gerrard is to have done as well at Derby as Rooney did
 :twisted:

I think it was very much a case of Rosenior being to Rooney what Beale was to Gerrard 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Rooney is their equivelant of our Gerrard appointment in every way.

It’s similar. They both have a sense of inevitability, that they were keen to get their respective men in.

Circumstances are different though. Eustace was doing well at the time of his sacking. As much as I think fondly of him, we weren’t doing well by the point of Smith’s sacking.

If Smith was doing as well as Eustace was at the time (whatever that equivalent would be…7th or 8th in the premier league, say), then we ain’t making a change. No matter how much Purslow might have desperately wanted Gerrard here. Not happening.

Another difference is that we enjoyed a new manager bounce in Gerrard’s first six games (indeed the only really good part of his tenure). Whereas the only people enjoying Rooney’s honeymoon period at sha are their championship contemporaries and us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s similar. They both have a sense of inevitability, that they were keen to get their respective men in.

Circumstances are different though. Eustace was doing well at the time of his sacking. As much as I think fondly of him, we weren’t doing well by the point of Smith’s sacking.

If Smith was doing as well as Eustace was at the time (whatever that equivalent would be…7th or 8th in the premier league, say), then we ain’t making a change. No matter how much Purslow might have desperately wanted Gerrard here. Not happening.

Another difference is that we enjoyed a new manager bounce in Gerrard’s first six games (indeed the only really good part of his tenure). Whereas the only people enjoying Rooney’s honeymoon period at sha are their championship contemporaries and us.

They have also similarities of a mate hiring them 😂

19 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I dont think you can have a new manager bounce if you're already over performing. 

It's clear from the Gerrard honeymoon that we were underperforming for Smith. He reached the limits of his capability, injuries and poor fitness were hurting us,  and he hadn't got his formation clicking without Grealish. 

A new manager brings change and most change is good when you're in a bad place.

With blues, there is no way they have a top 6 squad. They've been bottom half fodder for a while now, but had been on a favorable run of fixtures and were operating better than the sum of their parts. 

You can't expect to improve that even more. And when things are good, a change has the opposite effect.

I guess it's not like they could have predicted it though, they've not exactly replaced a villa supporting manager who had them flying,  with a big name but inexperienced coach before.... 🤔 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â