Transgenderism

Chindie

Just now, fruitvilla said:

Then I think you are not very qualified to tell anyone about being offended. 

Thanks for the advice

• Like 1

Then I think you are not very qualified to tell anyone about being offended. 

To be fair by programmed I thought you mean programmed as in hardwired from birth. But I think you actually mean we’re programmed through life. 

Basically I don’t really understand the question or your point

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair by programmed I thought you mean programmed as in hardwired from birth. But I think you actually mean we’re programmed through life. 

Basically I don’t really understand the question or your point

Well, I mean both. We are hard-wired to be offended, and society/family/friends program us about what to be offended. Ultimately being "offended" is not really an argument, but more of a method for protecting a point of view.

• Like 1

Well, I mean both. We are hard-wired to be offended, and society/family/friends program us about what to be offended. Ultimately being "offended" is not really an argument, but more of a method for protecting a point of view.

Yeah I have no idea what point you’re trying to make if I’m honest. So I’ll dip out

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

But people were offended on her behalf. Which is wrong.

Anyway wrong thread yeah.

you hear this a lot (usually in the context of "waah waah waah everyone is offended by everything these days" by idots on social media) and it's not actually true. people aren't/weren't offended. calling something out as inappropriate is different from being offended.

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

you hear this a lot (usually in the context of "waah waah waah everyone is offended by everything these days" by idots on social media) and it's not actually true. people aren't/weren't offended. calling something out as inappropriate is different from being offended.

There's also a difference between calling something out as inoppropriate, which is fair enough, to wanting something done about it, even though the person it was directed at, was not offended in anyway.

I agree there is a difference between not appropriate and being offended, but also in the mix is what may offend one person might be completely alien to another. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's also a difference between calling something out as inoppropriate, which is fair enough, to wanting something done about it, even though the person it was directed at, was not offended in anyway.

Again, the person it being directed at not being offended doesn’t determine whether it was offensive or not

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not at all . I don’t post on VT to cause controversy. Just wondered after the last few days if people would find that offensive. Suppose self examination after some of the criticism that’s come my way.  Pisses me off that people think I’d have a pop at trans or gay people just for attention. I’m a dick but not that much of a dick. I have nothing against trans or gay people. 

How are you, Rug? Are you still a dick? 😉

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not at all . I don’t post on VT to cause controversy. Just wondered after the last few days if people would find that offensive. Suppose self examination after some of the criticism that’s come my way.  Pisses me off that people think I’d have a pop at trans or gay people just for attention. I’m a dick but not that much of a dick. I have nothing against trans or gay people. 

Don’t sell yourself short, Rug, you’re a tremendous dick 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

whether it was offensive or not

There is a difference between something being offensive and people finding it offensive.

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Ok I’m a word removed 🤣  

In all honesty, you presented me with a golden opportunity to paraphrase one of the greatest Caddyshack quotes and I simply could not resist 🍻

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, the person it being directed at not being offended doesn’t determine whether it was offensive or not

I agree, but if it's not directed a you, just keep you mouth shut, especially if the person it was directed at laughs it off.

Your mate says to a friend of your's, you can't keep a women, maybe you be better off gay. Your friend laughs and says maybe. You would probably find it offensive. Do you bollock your pal for saying it, an gossip to everyone about it blowing it all out of proportion, or just think, he didn't mean anything by it, I can tell by my feinds reaction.

Edited by foreveryoung

18 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

There is a difference between something being offensive and people finding it offensive.

Is there? Surely the definition of something being offensive is that people find it offensive? It’s entirely subjective isn’t it?

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Is there? Surely the definition of something being offensive is that people find it offensive? It’s entirely subjective isn’t it?

For me it is more of a philosophical conundrum. Definitely subjective. Assuming we are not dualists for the moment ... can we have an offensive arrangement of matter?

Sure people might find something offensive ... but in what way does that represent an argument for or against a proposition?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree, but if it's not directed a you, just keep you mouth shut, especially if the person it was directed at laughs it off.

Your mate says to a friend of your's, you can't keep a women, maybe you be better off gay. Your friend laughs and says maybe. You would probably find it offensive. Do you bollock your pal for saying it, an gossip to everyone about it blowing it all out of proportion, or just think, he didn't mean anything by it, I can tell by my feinds reaction.

Weird analogy to be honest. I wouldn’t find that offensive and I doubt anybody would to be honest. But if someone did, they did they’d have every right to say something whether the person it was directed to liked it or not. 

A better analogy would be imagine I had a mate who was black, and I called him N*gger Tom. 

Even if that’s some sort of in joke and Tom doesn’t mind it or finds it funny, anyone would be in their right to tell me that was offensive and I shouldn’t say it. 

It actually makes no difference whether this fictional Tom is ok with it or not

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Not really

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â