Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

wolves currently have ait nouri struggling to get games at LB so would be very surprised if he ended up there, west ham have cresswell too so he'd be back up there, he's playing in the CL games and back up in the league, i dont think he's got a long term future there as they have miranda out on loan and cucurella i think has a buy back clause

going from being a back up at barca to a back up at a mid table PL club would be a strange move

and id rather the club were more forward thinking, if barca have to sell in order to balance the books and know that long term alba is going so they're going to flog firpo and integrate miranda next season then we should test the waters and go after miranda instead...(not a clue how hes done at betis)

Everton always seem to get the Barca cast offs...haven't done too badly as Digne is one of best LBs in the league and Andre Gomes was doing fine before his leg break. Mina o.k but he's a bit like Mings in terms of always mistake lurking.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Everton always seem to get the Barca cast offs...haven't done too badly as Digne is one of best LBs in the league and Andre Gomes was doing fine before his leg break. Mina o.k but he's a bit like Mings in terms of always mistake lurking.

deulofeu too

Just now, villa4europe said:

deulofeu too

Lost track of where he ended up for a few years....Sevilla...Milan....Barca for six months! Now parked at Udinese for a season with Watford hoping they can get straight back up.

Part of the reason I dislike the way Barca do transfer business is they always seem to sign a couple of players with only intention to have them for six months and then flip them to premier league clubs for double what they paid. They only signed Malcolm to do that but he was poor and they had to sell him to Russian league instead.

Bet they thought they could sell Braithwaite to West Ham for about 25m but that's blown up a bit in their faces and he's now their starting striker.

Joshua Zirkee is reportedly available from Bayern and is a fine young prospect 

New Update: Bayern Munich are ready to sell Joshua Zirkzee this winter

Joshua Zirkzee may soon find himself at a new club, either in Germany or the Netherlands.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/1/4/22212922/bayern-munich-report-update-sell-joshua-zirkzee-winter-transfer-robert-lewandowski-choupo-moting

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Targett has been one of our most consistent players this season. No way should we be thinking of replacing him in January.

I agree, but I also agree with the logic that we need two players for each position and they should, at a minimum, be capable of putting pressure on each other for that starting XI spot as that will just lift up everybody's performance/development.

I think it would be difficult for us to find a better left back this January, given the way that Targett has improved and performed this season but we should be looking for a young left back to come in and develop behind him (a Cash equivalent say who could cost up to, maybe, £10m e.g. Henry) who can replace Taylor (if we had to play Taylor at the minute it would be a huge step backwards IMHO) and, ultimately, over time can look to displace Targett or at least battle with him for the starting spot.

If I think about other positions which are similar in my mind:

• Striker - all depends upon Wes' position and how far away he is from being able to participate.  Also influenced by Watkin's robustness - he seems to be pretty good at avoiding injuries. 
  • No. 10 - given Barkley's potential for injury and the fact that we do not own him, bringing in Rashica or Buendia (who could also both play RW as well if needed or cover Jack) would offer good rotation/cover options/spice up the bench and mean that we are less likely to be held to ransom by Chelsea in the summer.
  • SJM - I do not see a box to box partner for Luiz if SJM gets injured.  We have lost him a couple of times before over the last two seasons and it leaves a huge hole in our set up.  This is a key area for me.  Again, I do not see an upgrade but would expect a younger dynamic player who could step in and do a similar job but has scope to develop and ultimately challenge or play in the midweek Europa/Champions League game next season 😉.

The question mark here is Ramsey.  I haven't seen enough of him to know what he is i.e. an attacking CM'er (a Barkley replacement) or a box to box CM'er (a SJM replacement) and whether Smith wants to potentially put that pressure on the lad at this stage of his career/19 years of age as opposed to keep offering him little cameos to ease himself in.  Ideally, as with Davis, he would be out on loan playing week in week out for me.

There are other back up slots that need upgrading.  Luiz, for example, could do with better cover than Nakamba, but I wouldn't be prioritising that at this stage and would look to tackle this in the summer.  However, in the case of Luiz, if the hierarchy do believe that there is a chance that he may be off to Citeh in the summer (not sure exactly how that works and what role he has in the decision), it might be a good time to bring in a potential replacement who could bed in for 6 months rather than coming in in August and being expected to hit the ground running?

2 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

We should sign a left back.

Loan out davis and sign another striker who is more proven in the Premier League

Loan out guilbert and hope he can challenge cash for next season if elmo leaves.

Sign another centre back if engels leaves.

Jordan Amavi only got 6 months left on his Marseille contract. 

Anyone have him back? 

• Like 1

We should not try to sign a Targett replacement, Matt hasnt put a foot wrong so far. Also seems better trained and to avoid injuries. Worst case scenario Taylor could fill in for a game or two, in the summer when Taylor leaves then its time for a new lb.

I'd try to loan a striker from somewhere that can get a few minutes when Watkins needs a rest.

The only signing I'd would make in january is to try and get John Lundstram on the cheap, 6 months left on his contract, ideal back up to McGinn, wont demand a starting place, makes the squad bigger.

Then make the signings we want in the summer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I agree, but I also agree with the logic that we need two players for each position and they should, at a minimum, be capable of putting pressure on each other for that starting XI spot as that will just lift up everybody's performance/development.

I think it would be difficult for us to find a better left back this January, given the way that Targett has improved and performed this season but we should be looking for a young left back to come in and develop behind him (a Cash equivalent say who could cost up to, maybe, £10m e.g. Henry) who can replace Taylor (if we had to play Taylor at the minute it would be a huge step backwards IMHO) and, ultimately, over time can look to displace Targett or at least battle with him for the starting spot.

If I think about other positions which are similar in my mind:

• Striker - all depends upon Wes' position and how far away he is from being able to participate.  Also influenced by Watkin's robustness - he seems to be pretty good at avoiding injuries. 
  • No. 10 - given Barkley's potential for injury and the fact that we do not own him, bringing in Rashica or Buendia (who could also both play RW as well if needed or cover Jack) would offer good rotation/cover options/spice up the bench and mean that we are less likely to be held to ransom by Chelsea in the summer.
  • SJM - I do not see a box to box partner for Luiz if SJM gets injured.  We have lost him a couple of times before over the last two seasons and it leaves a huge hole in our set up.  This is a key area for me.  Again, I do not see an upgrade but would expect a younger dynamic player who could step in and do a similar job but has scope to develop and ultimately challenge or play in the midweek Europa/Champions League game next season 😉.

The question mark here is Ramsey.  I haven't seen enough of him to know what he is i.e. an attacking CM'er (a Barkley replacement) or a box to box CM'er (a SJM replacement) and whether Smith wants to potentially put that pressure on the lad at this stage of his career/19 years of age as opposed to keep offering him little cameos to ease himself in.  Ideally, as with Davis, he would be out on loan playing week in week out for me.

There are other back up slots that need upgrading.  Luiz, for example, could do with better cover than Nakamba, but I wouldn't be prioritising that at this stage and would look to tackle this in the summer.  However, in the case of Luiz, if the hierarchy do believe that there is a chance that he may be off to Citeh in the summer (not sure exactly how that works and what role he has in the decision), it might be a good time to bring in a potential replacement who could bed in for 6 months rather than coming in in August and being expected to hit the ground running?

Yeah I think if we have an established player playing well, the ideal is to sign someone young who can be cover now but who will really push for the shirt in a year. Rather than sign an immediate replacement (unless needed) or someone just as back up.

59 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Remember signing him on FM a few years back he turned into a top player...I know we shouldnt pay too much mind to such things but still.

22 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

We should not try to sign a Targett replacement, Matt hasnt put a foot wrong so far. Also seems better trained and to avoid injuries. Worst case scenario Taylor could fill in for a game or two, in the summer when Taylor leaves then its time for a new lb.

I'd try to loan a striker from somewhere that can get a few minutes when Watkins needs a rest.

The only signing I'd would make in january is to try and get John Lundstram on the cheap, 6 months left on his contract, ideal back up to McGinn, wont demand a starting place, makes the squad bigger.

Then make the signings we want in the summer.

Agree with this. Targett has been awesome this season. He's really upped his game defensively and I can see him only getting better in a settled side. If he were to get injured for a few games before the end of the season, we're fine with Taylor, Elmo, Guilbert or Hause just filling in there. None of them would be spectacular but I don't think it would be a disaster either. I'd definitely get scouting the leagues for a promising young left back to replace Taylor when his contract expires though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Loan with an option to buy there would be amazing

The one position for which we currently lack effective cover is striker. Davis doesn't score goals. Loan him out or sell him outright and sign Josh King or try to get Diego Costa on a 6-18 month contract.

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I can't believe anyone's seriously suggesting replacing Targett. Him and Cash are 2 of the most effective FBs in the league

I really didn't think we'd need to upgrade our goalkeeper too at the time when Heaton's playing week in week out.

27 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I can't believe anyone's seriously suggesting replacing Targett. Him and Cash are 2 of the most effective FBs in the league

I think it's just a lazy suggestion. For some reason Targett seems to be one people target (excuse the pun). I think he's been absolutely brilliant this season.

• Like 2