Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

20 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I need to see no more. Pay whatever it takes and loan him back for the rest of the season.

He Looks a bit like Delph when he was at Leeds.

Me too. Kid looks class. 

39 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We need a LB, CM and a striker as the drop off to Taylor, Hourihane and Davis/Wesley is quite steep. Everywhere else we can manage (and have managed) some rotation. Watkins in particular needs a breather soon.

Getting what you've listed in a normal January is tough going. In the craziness of covid etc, can't see it. I agree with you that the drop off between starters and subs in some positions is significant. Even if you take Wesley. He does nothing that Watkins does as in press, hold up and glaringly obvious difference in ability. Davis can't score a goal. That's kind of a problem if you are a striker. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Getting what you've listed in a normal January is tough going. In the craziness of covid etc, can't see it. I agree with you that the drop off between starters and subs in some positions is significant. Even if you take Wesley. He does nothing that Watkins does as in press, hold up and glaringly obvious difference in ability. Davis can't score a goal. That's kind of a problem if you are a striker. 

Tammy would have been perfect in this situation. But if he's going to leave Chelsea, even on loan he'd want to be a guaranteed starter. It will be really tough finding that striker. I think we're going to use Traore to deputize for Ollie if ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

We need a LB, CM and a striker as the drop off to Taylor, Hourihane and Davis/Wesley is quite steep. Everywhere else we can manage (and have managed) some rotation. Watkins in particular needs a breather soon.

Traore has scored a lot of goals as a centre forward, there is no way the club will buy a centre forward until they has assessed Wesley IMO

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Tammy would have been perfect in this situation. But if he's going to leave Chelsea, even on loan he'd want to be a guaranteed starter. It will be really tough finding that striker. I think we're going to use Traore to deputize for Ollie if ever.

Tammy isn't going anywhere anyway he is getting starts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

With Wesley returning as well,  I doubt we are going to buy a striker. In fact, I won't be surprised if we dont bring in a single player.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, maqroll said:

With Wesley returning as well,  I doubt we are going to buy a striker. In fact, I won't be surprised if we dont bring in a single player.

I won't be surprised either, not because we couldn't find/get players in to improve us, but simply because we may have no budget to do so.

Personally if I were given the same budget in this window as we had in the summer I would get

Tuanzebe, Aarons, Wijndal, Buendia and a midfielder who can play in the defensive role, probably from France as there seems to be value their due to the current situation.

Obviously Kalinic and Lansbury can go but bringing those in means you can get rid of Taylor, Elmo, Engels, Guilbert and although I wouldn't you could get rid of a wide forward.

That would leave you needing no defenders going forward until there is an outstanding centre back available (this is rare), massive competition in defence, cover in midfield with more genuine options, an upgrade in the wide forward area and more genuine options as to who can play at 10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yes Smith hinted as much after the Chelsea game.

I’m more concerned about one or two of the so called big clubs eyeing up our players to be honest.  Konsa being the one i’d most like to see signing an improved contract. 

Every player has a price but at least we won’t get rinsed with the currents owners at the helm.  

I wonder during January if we could at least secure Barkley permanently and/or agree something with City for Luiz in relation to the alleged buy back option? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd like that but Liverpool probably wouldn't let him go to a rival.  Never thought I'd say that!

10 hours ago, paul514 said:

We aren’t a rival to one of the top ten teams in the world.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The manager considers us a rival as he has mentioned us the last few games

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed, we need to calm down a bit. Lol

With just under half the season behind us, and only two wins between us and Liverpool on the table, and a margin of ten goals in our favour between the two sides, five in the cup, five in the PL, I'd say whether anybody believes we're as good as them, or whether or not we feel because recent history suggests we are miles apart in status, we don't deserve to be called a rival. Well, the truth is, by meaning and definition, we are just that, Liverpool's rivals.

Struggling to see it? Let me riddle you this. Our decade of misery has come to an end, whether it be briefly or ultimately, it's taken a hiatus for the now. It has been replaced with a competitive and strong outfit, whom are ready to take on the league, and anybody who makes up the numbers in it. So, with that in mind, how do we define this season? By the misery and shortcomings of the last decade, or by what's been laid before us all? Of course, the here and now defines this season. And this season we are currently fifth and in European placing, two wins from first place, which is currently held by a team we've only beaten this campaign, by a sum of ten goals. That, my friends, is definition of a rival.