10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The squad needs the following.

LB

LCB

Def CM

Wide right mid

Forward

Oh and a GK just because it’s tradition. 😉

Now clearly we won’t sign all those I. jan but I do think we need two or three of these if we want to push for top eight.

This 

Although for me LB and RW are less vital than the other 3 positions. 

If we got those 5 positions and kept Barkley over the next two windows, it’s eye watering to think what could happen moving forward.

Just for fun (over the next two windows)

Rico Henry 

Tuanzebe

Kalvin Phillips 

Barkley

Rashica 

Abraham 

Edited by nnock1984
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t ever look at stats for players I think they are often misleading in a team game. Personally I think he looks a good player and one that could develop in a side with better players.

I think you may be slightly out of step with our current analytical team and the philosophy of at least one of our owners. 

49 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think you may be slightly out of step with our current analytical team and the philosophy of at least one of our owners. 

You might be slightly out of step in that I’m a fan and not part of our scouting set up. However I’m still aware that our analytical team hasn’t been put in place to asses goal and assist stats. 😎

2 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Abraham

Hmm I don’t know about this one anymore. Even if he was available. Abraham isn’t exactly clinical either. Don’t get me wrong I like him but if we want an alternate to Watkins I don’t think he is the answer anymore. Chelsea wouldn’t let him go cheap either if they did ever make him available on the market. 

I honestly can't see us buying until the backup option is sold first..that backs up the stockpiling players quote.

Yes there is a bit of dead wood to go such as Lansbury, Kalinic but that's an end of contract deal as neither will likely be sold. I would say if we can get another striker that would be ideal. Decision is does Hourihane and Nakamba stay or do we try and sell and improve on those with players at the level of Luiz?

Would suggest a decent backup for Grealish as he can’t be expected to play every game in a very long season plus a mobile centre forward who is good technically to be able to rest Watkins. I’d also be looking at a centre mid who would improve the bench and again allow the manager to rotate McGinn or Luiz.

Thankfully quality over quantity in this coming window with 2-3 players coming in would allow Villa to push for top 8.

I know people will point to McGinn, but Ollie simply can't be expected to run a half marathon 2/3 times a week. 

I'd be surprised if we weren't looking to bring in a striker. 

Just now, av1 said:

I know people will point to McGinn, but Ollie simply can't be expected to run a half marathon 2/3 times a week. 

I'd be surprised if we weren't looking to bring in a striker. 

Yeah, and even if/when Wesley comes back he will not be able to cover the ground Watkins does. Not even for 15 minutes. He's just too big and not mobile enough, doubt his mobility will have improved after that horror injury.

And it's not just mobility, it has to be intelligent mobility. A headless chicken is easy to bypass. 

We need cover and Wesley or Davies simply isn't up to it.

• Like 1

I think we can all see the bench is weak or limited in terms of options. With everybody fit we have a very good 11 plus 3 or 4 options from the bench.

But with us playing so well, and in such a good position, now is the time to reinforce from a position of strength. It could even get us a top 4 place. Even 2 players could be the difference.

One thing which impacts what I think/thought we needed in jan, are we playing 433 or 4321 these days?, as I think dependsnt on which we use changes slightly what we need....

Looks like we have mostly moved to a 4231 now?

If we truly want to cement a place in the top half of the table, I believe we need another legitimate option up top. If the French clubs are desperate for cash, I’d love to make a move for Ben Yedder. Proven goal scorer at the top level who I could see pushing us on. At 30 years old, not quite in our ideal age range and will have no sell on value, but could be worth the price to get us to the next level. 

50 minutes ago, striker said:

Would suggest a decent backup for Grealish as he can’t be expected to play every game in a very long season plus a mobile centre forward who is good technically to be able to rest Watkins. I’d also be looking at a centre mid who would improve the bench and again allow the manager to rotate McGinn or Luiz.

Thankfully quality over quantity in this coming window with 2-3 players coming in would allow Villa to push for top 8.

It's not really a very long season though, for us. Depending if we go on an fa cup run I suppose. Man city and liverpool will likely play 20 games more than us.

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We shouldn't try to strengthen the bench, we need to strengthen the first 11, or at least purchase with a view that the players we are buying is a direct challenge for the first 11.

By default that strengthens the bench by dropping a current first teamer to the bench.

My point is, we shouldn't be buying "backup", any money we have at the moment should be going towards trying to improve the first 11.

I'm not saying buy players particularly for the bench as that would be silly and a waste. If you buy better players, whoever ends up on the bench will be better.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

I'm not saying buy players particularly for the bench as that would be silly and a waste. If you buy better players, whoever ends up on the bench will be better.

Yep agreed