Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I keep saying it but I think up and coming young Championship players are what we should be adding in January. It’s what Leicester did very successfully in the past and it’s a great way to add depth and build long term.

We’ve picked up the likes of Konsa and Cash and there will be other gems like that out there.

Totally agree. You can get very good players in the 5-15m bracket and now that we have a settled team, we can either loan them back or bed them in nicely to the first team. 

• Like 2

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Excellent player, not followed him since leaving Celtic but always thought he was very talented and destined for big things. Surprised that he has been benched, what’s the story there?

They signed a player called Tino Kadewere who's taken over as CF and scored some big goals for them in last two months.  Also got Memphis Depay and Toko Ekambi who play in front 3 so he's just been squeezed out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

They signed a player called Tino Kadewere who's taken over as CF and scored some big goals for them in last two months.  Also got Memphis Depay and Toko Ekambi who play in front 3 so he's just been squeezed out.

Worth looking at then.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Totally agree. You can get very good players in the 5-15m bracket and now that we have a settled team, we can either loan them back or bed them in nicely to the first team. 

I think the price would be higher than that after Watkins but there is still value and opportunity, there will also be clubs eager to sell.

We’ve actually got to a place exactly where the board wanted us to be, probably slightly ahead of time. We’ve spent a lot of money to obtain a balanced and settled first team squad and now we’re in a position where we don’t need* to buy and won’t be bullied on the price. We can start to bring through a few of the youngsters and see the investment in the academy bear fruit. 

*you always need to buy to improve. We just don’t need to buy to avoid relegation. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Excellent player, not followed him since leaving Celtic but always thought he was very talented and destined for big things. Surprised that he has been benched, what’s the story there?

I think he wants to leave. Lyon said they would sell one of depay, dembele and aouar but didn't sell any of them. 

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think the price would be higher than that after Watkins but there is still value and opportunity, there will also be clubs eager to sell.

Watkins was a unique case. And really so are brentford. They have made so much money from selling players if no one matches their asking price it is no skin off their back. And watkins was familiar with Smith and scored 25 goals 2 seasons after being one of the best wingers in the league. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Watkins was a unique case. And really so are brentford. They have made so much money from selling players if no one matches their asking price it is no skin off their back. And watkins was familiar with Smith and scored 25 goals 2 seasons after being one of the best wingers in the league. 

That may or not be true but once you pay over £30m for a player for the Championship you are going to struggle to pick them up for £5m - £15m in my view.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

That may or not be true but once you pay over £30m for a player for the Championship you are going to struggle to pick them up for £5m - £15m in my view.

Again watkins was a unique case 5 or 6 prem clubs were in for him and willing to pay 20+ mil. We wanted him the most so we payed their price.

I think we will find more people in the 10-20 range though like the bowens and ezes. 

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’ve actually got to a place exactly where the board wanted us to be, probably slightly ahead of time. We’ve spent a lot of money to obtain a balanced and settled first team squad and now we’re in a position where we don’t need* to buy and won’t be bullied on the price. We can start to bring through a few of the youngsters and see the investment in the academy bear fruit. 

*you always need to buy to improve. We just don’t need to buy to avoid relegation. 

We are in a stronger position now than at any point in MONs tenure.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We are in a stronger position now than at any point in MONs tenure.

I wouldn't go quite that far yet. In 2008/09 and I think 09/10 aswell we were 3rd/4th in the league and had very strong 11s but lack of depth did for us as the season went on.

Now the key question is can we really push on and do something we haven't done for a long time e.g. win a trophy or play in european cup in next few years?

Always felt in past there's been a bit of negativity in that people didn't believe we were as good as an Arsenal or Liverpool so why bother and it all fizzled out.

Wes and Nas I feel won't make that mistake.

Edited by VillaChris

28 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Again watkins was a unique case 5 or 6 prem clubs were in for him and willing to pay 20+ mil. We wanted him the most so we payed their price.

I think we will find more people in the 10-20 range though like the bowens and ezes. 

What was Bowen? I thought was £25 million. Webster a CB went to Brighton previous season +20m. I think Leicester got Justin from Luton for somewhere in region of 8-12m but good players for 5-15m from Championship mentioned previously is fantasy

Edited by Kiwivillan

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Played in Sweden 2 years ago and was sold to Le Havre for something like €2m

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What was Bowen? I thought was £25 million. Webster a CB went to Brighton previous season +20m. I think Leicester got Justin from Luton for somewhere in region of 8-12m but good players for 5-15m from Championship mentioned previously is fantasy

I thought bowen was 22 mil myself. But I could be wrong. 

You can get promising championship players before their transfer fees become £20m plus or whatever, players like Sibley or Olise wouldn't cost anywhere near that, probably could have got Eze a couple of summers ago for around £10m, it was obvious then that he was going to be a very good player, Robinson is doing well at Fulham, they got him cheaper because of Wigan's situation, but even without that he still would have been gettable for not much more than £10m.

• Like 1