Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Bit of a freak game really. 3 shots on target, 3 goals against. Not surprised by the mindless over exaggeration however.

it's the modus operandi of modern football.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I imagine we will for awhile. We've still only been back in the prem for one season. 

We need to improve and progress. Last two games have been a set back but there is no denying we've been better. 

We were good at the start of last season too and had some bad look and poor discipline that cost us results.

That bad luck hasnt hit us this season and thats the biggest difference i see tbh.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:I don't want Smith out. I want him to start managing the **** team. We have very capable players, it's the coaches' jobs to gel their unique abilities and the manager's job to deploy tactics that are tailored for the opposition and make logical sense.

We give the ball to Grealish, he gets crowded out, we lose possession. That's been the plan here and last week. If he sends us out set up the same way in the second half, I can honestly sympathize with people who have no patience for him.

Now, personally speaking, I'd said elsewhere that Smith had learned from last season, which ofc was his first in the Premier League and that comes with a huge learning curve. But it's like he's hit his head and forgot it all again - there is no evidence of a game plan out there. It's poor at best.

I would agree with that summary. I actually think we do have most of the payers we need to be a decent PL side but at minimum they need to do the basics properly, something that has been lacking in the last two games. The good results we have had so far this season are not flukes, we played well. There will be huge pressure on Smith to deliver given the investment by the owners and performances like this will not help him.

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

We are angry with the performance not the fact we are getting nothing. What don't you understand? 

I was referring to someone who said this is a team we should be getting points off. 

I understand perfectly. Its been very poor.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Oh thanks. That must mean Southampton have become a shit team now. 

Genius. 

They have a 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss record away this season before this game. That's OK.