Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

This same Southampton battered Everton last week 

Or was that also because of the opposition being poor rather than Southampton being good? 

I’m talking about our performance today. Nothing to do with Everton.

It's the midfield that's losing us this. Barkley needs to replaced for me. He's good on the ball but off it he's non existent and we're not seeing enough of the ball to warrant him . Ollie is so isolated.

We need to change our game plan , very similar to the Leeds game in we do not seem to be able to compete in any part of the pitch ( other than Jack) 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Watkins situation worries me. It’s like we don’t know how to play him. Aside from the Liverpool game he’s barely had a chance. 
For £30m we shouldn’t be saying that. 

It's because we're only interested in giving the ball to Jack going forward. Our tactics have been pathetic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Starting to worry about Watkins. Been some Scott Hogan level performances. Hope its him just getting used to it. 

We just don’t play a system that supplies our forward, that’s why Wes, Samatta got loads of stick. We have pace now but don’t play a system that exploits it. 

They are a cohesive and disciplined unit with a smart game plan. We seem confused as to what our game plan is other than giving the ball to Jack - and this has been a long going issue. I don't see any other player expressing themselves or trying to take responsibility for driving attacks. 

Also we seem to deal very poorly with going behind. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Not really. It would be crazy to think we aren't going to go through the season having some bad losses. We finished 17th last season. 

The aim for the season is to progress and improve on that, currently we are. 

If we losing like this continously and plummet down the league then maybe so but I think my expectations for the year are pretty realistic. 

Thats not to say that the performance is terrible today. But you can already see the smith out crowd gearing up again. People need to get a grip. 

Exactly. We ain't finishing in the top 6 and we'll take some batterings along the way this season just like all teams will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

We don’t have the players to do it

You missed the liverpool game then did you?

The plauers are capable, even decent to good, but lack mental strength and need leadership.

Poor teams with good leadership can turn games.

This team is more than capable of mayching Southampton given leadership and inspiration.

It seems to me though, when the players struggle for inspiration, the manaher throws in the towel rather than looking to lift them and provide that support.

Hes just not a very good manager - but hes a good coach.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's the manner in which we've lost/are losing. Pathetic and it isn't being a bad fan to say so.

It is truly awful but it shouldn't lead to fans calling our good results flukes or the same old crowd desperate to have a moan at smith. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think it’s the manner that worries people tbf. 

the manner of our wins impressed people too. we just need to chill sometimes imo. today the culprit has been set pieces and lack of concentration. I think we're a bit mentally weak which is frustrating and will cause ridiculous displays like today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We've made some stupid mistakes alright, and been punished accordingly. I see similarities with the Leeds game. Everything just goes in someone at the moment. It's not like JWP scores those goals every week. He's done exceptionally well, just as Bamford did last week. 

Hopefully we see some sort of reaction second half. 

He does actually when teams are stupid enough to give free kicks away like that. Teams with half a brain then no he probably doesn’t score goals like that every week but I promise you any free kicks in that position he scores more often than not and our team should know that. Even targets stupid free kick perfect position for a wide free kick. 

Just now, Rodders said:

I'd take 0-3 now. I have lost all faith and hope in this side.

Yes this has been awful but lost all hope? We won’t get a result this game now but  we have won four games including games against good teams.

We really need to approach his second half like a new game. We are going to lose this game, but can we win the second half? 

I'm sure DS is in their face right now, the last 90mins has not been good enough. We need to get back in track in the next 45. 

• Like 1