Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

It look like Barkley was the player being screamed at by Unai, anyone spot why? 

I’m fairly sure a couple of seconds before he’d played an ambitious pass which lost the ball (the type only tielemans can make) and Emery was wanting him to focus on ball retention 

Played really well when he came on and was the right move as Onana was playing badly. I think Onana isn't great against teams that sit deep, but Ross is much better against that type of team due to his passing ability. 

Could see him starting the CL game on Tuesday.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Funny ain't it.

At one point today it looked like he had the option to burst forward and I was almost willing him to do it

It looks like he thought about it then decided to to the smarter tactical thing.

Totally different player now, at his best he used to be Rogers esque.

Anyway I'm happy for him as he had alot of doubters. Did well.

Speaking of which, there is something beautiful about the flair attacking player who reinvents himself as a slower, more controlled tactical player in midfield or defence. Could def see Rogers going in this direction in his 30s. Adel Taarabt did this really well at Benfica.

• Like 3

Im not a fan of Barkley. I don't trust him after his first spell & he will have to work extremely hard over a couple of seasons to win that trust back.

I just wanted to make that clear before I post the rest of my thoughts on him yesterday, to give it some context.

I thought Barkley had a really good game yesterday.

Onana looked like he was trying to impress to much & lacked that smoothness he showed in previous games.

So when Barkley came in & gave us that smoothness, I was pleasantly surprised. His close control in tight spaces was good to see & he kept things ticking over.

We looked a better team when he was on the pitch yesterday.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 08:31, cheltenham_villa said:

It look like Barkley was the player being screamed at by Unai, anyone spot why? 

Yeah, noticed that. Didn't see anything obvious he did wrong. May have been a misplaced pass like JPJCB said, or he strayed positionally, but Unai was definitely doing his nut! 🤣

That aside, thought Ross did really well. The team functioned better second half and he really reminded me of Gareth Barry in terms of his calmness and lack of pace compensated by awareness. Let's hope this continues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Came in and calmed everything down. Useful experience. For what we paid for him its a steal.  Looked like a better version of Glenn Whelan.

Makes a world of difference having a player like Barkley coming on to see out a game rather than Chambers 🤣

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

England's gone and tbf we shouldn't be calling up 30 year olds who ain't played for England in years.

Why not? He if he is good enough then he should be considered, certainly up to the 2026 cycle.  Its not like he is 35 or anything. Other than Rice there aren't many other players for England who could do his job since Henderson has retired. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 05:22, KentVillan said:

Speaking of which, there is something beautiful about the flair attacking player who reinvents himself as a slower, more controlled tactical player in midfield or defence. Could def see Rogers going in this direction in his 30s. Adel Taarabt did this really well at Benfica.

Pirlo made a similar switch, albeit at a younger age.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â