Ross Barkley

LondonLax

My post was meant more casually than perhaps its been taken. Though Barkley was a player of the season regular last year. The younger options would accept the pecking order more easily for now.

I mean I'm sure Ross knows he is a squad option, and he's not been sold a lie about game time or anything, but I'm sure I read he had hopes of getting back into the England squad. 

Just wondered what his thoughts were. It was a nothing post really

There was a big drop off from Onana when he came on, but there were a couple of moments when he won the ball and tried to bring it forward in that similar style. I guess it took Tielemens a couple months before he looked like part of the team. Likely be the same for Barkley. I wonder will Barkley for Onana be a regular sub with 15 mins to go? Similar to Duran/Maatsen/Ramsey subs last two games.

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

There was a big drop off from Onana when he came on, but there were a couple of moments when he won the ball and tried to bring it forward in that similar style. I guess it took Tielemens a couple months before he looked like part of the team. Likely be the same for Barkley. I wonder will Barkley for Onana be a regular sub with 15 mins to go? Similar to Duran/Maatsen/Ramsey subs last two games.

Depends on game state I guess. When we’re chasing a game he’ll be a more attacking option but I suspect he’ll be subbing on for Kamara in that situation when he’s back. Onana is such a threat on set pieces so I doubt he’ll be subbed regularly 

Thought he was fine yesterday. Very inoffensive performance and glad he tried a shot. Sometimes we try to get too clever in the final third.

Barkley had lots of teed up shots in his first spell with us and sent many into the stands. It's my defining memory of him. He did the same yesterday.

I don't mind the odd long shot but it would be nice if once in a while he hit the target with one.

You could see how his game has changed from the last time he was here.

He's going to need a spell in the side to get used to things, just like all the newcomers. But I noticed that the other players seemed to have confidence in him, which is always a good sign...he saw a lot of the ball when we were on our left.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bakers29 said:

I just don't know how he is going to improve us... bang average and over the hill...

He's not meant to improve us, he's meant to provide decent cover when injuries start happening as they always do so we don't have to play Calum Chambers as CDM like last season. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bakers29 said:

I just don't know how he is going to improve us... bang average and over the hill...

He's going to improve us towards the end of the season when we're not bringing chambers off the bench 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bakers29 said:

He's a backup player nothing else

Hopefully we won't need him too much

16 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

He's not meant to improve us, he's meant to provide decent cover when injuries start happening as they always do so we don't have to play Calum Chambers as CDM like last season. 

I don't see much difference in either of them to be honest. His first spell here was enough for me...

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bakers29 said:

I don't see much difference in either of them to be honest. His first spell here was enough for me...

Well he was a different player for Luton, which is what Emery saw and thought he would be perfect backup fit for us. In Emery we trust 

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

Well he was a different player for Luton, which is what Emery saw and thought he would be perfect backup fit for us. In Emery we trust 

Of course, i'm not football manager mate, LOL. I'm wrong almost all the time but there we go... 

46 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

He's a backup player nothing else

Hopefully we won't need him too much

Not sure about that.  Monchi mentioned Emery saying something to the likes of "we must get him".  Feel Emery sees him starting 10-15 games, likely in domestic cups and weaker league opponents.

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Not sure about that.  Monchi mentioned Emery saying something to the likes of "we must get him".  Feel Emery sees him starting 10-15 games, likely in domestic cups and weaker league opponents.

I think 10-15 games is a back up player to be fair. 

1 hour ago, bakers29 said:

We got a couple of good years out of Ashley Young, didn't we?

OK, Barkley's best was never as good as Young's, but he's also not as old

Just wait until we're doing two matches a week, plus internationals for some players, for months in a row. Then you'll see.

1 hour ago, bakers29 said:

Was never meant to improve the starting lineup. When we are playing 8-10 games a month with CL and Cups added in we will be happy to have Barkley starting versus Dendocker. I guess we can just do what we did last year and start Luiz every match until the wheels fell off. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â