Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I really do think this is one of the most astute signings we've made this summer. When you understand how the Squad Cost Rule and PSR work. The annual cost of Barkley on the books vs other players he is cheap. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

John Giles midfield legend and usually brilliant pundit has predicted Barkley to get back in the England squad and win player of the season

Is this a joke or dementia?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Is this a joke or dementia?

Thinks he learned his lesson from his Everton days and was best player on pitch everytime he watched Luton last season. Will only step up with better players

People said same about Ferguson last season when he said we were most impressive team he saw on opening day

Edited by Zatman

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thinks he learned his lesson from his Everton days and was best player on pitch everytime he watched Luton last season. Will only step up with better players

People said same about Ferguson last season when he said we were most impressive team he saw on opening day

I'm not knocking Barkley as an addition. Player of the season and England recall seems a bit extreme

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

John Giles midfield legend and usually brilliant pundit has predicted Barkley to get back in the England squad and win player of the season

Think that’s Giles exaggerating for effect. He’s a smart signing but he’s not getting back into the England squad two years from a major tournament and 11 years older than Mainoo - this is a time they’ll be building for the future, not bringing in guys in their 30s. But I’d certainly love him to surprise people and be our POTS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Immediately thought of this as well when that statement was made.

To be fair, if Barkley was to get a recall to the England squad, he plays in the right position. Our options in central midfield are not exactly extensive. After Rice we have Gallagher, Mainoo and Wharton. Not out of the realms of possibility that he surpasses one of them with another great season. Although his preseason hasn't exactly dazzled me. Lots of dangerous sloppy passes right in front of our own goals.

• Like 1

“With Ross, it was a personal decision from Unai,” said Monchi. “Together with me, but Unai wanted him 100 per cent because he knows him after playing against Luton twice.
“Unai wanted this profile. A player who is physically good, technical, plays well and can fight. And with experience because we need to play in the Champions League and we need to have some mature players.

“Ross, when we had the first meeting with him at the Belfry Hotel, he was very, very happy to come back. And for me and Unai, that is very important when a player has a desire to play in our club. It’s the first important step. He’s a different profile than we have in the squad. Not Onana, not Kamara, not McGinn, not Tielemans. He is, technical and physical, maybe the most complete player. He can play as a six, a number eight, maybe a number 10.”

From the article in the Monchi thread.

Unai wanted Barkley. Like he decided on Rogers too. 

Edited by CVByrne

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

I hate that some of the fanbase are already sharpening their knives for Barkley. Rumblings of him being the seasons scapegoat started in pre-season and I just get the vibe people are either expecting him to be a dud, or wanting him to be a dud to validate their take on him.

I hope we give him the same time as any new signing. Unai's setup and demands do seem tough to fit into and there will be mistakes made but he will do better with the fans backing than without

Agreed. We just need to remind others that this was 100% an Unai deal. He wanted Ross in the team. 

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Agreed. We just need to remind others that this was 100% an Unai deal. He wanted Ross in the team. 

What people are overlooking is how big Ross is, he's 6'2 and a strong lad. Bakley + Onana is a physical midfield with 2 players who are very good ball carriers. They win the ball back and don't need to find a free teammate to pass too. They just set off with the ball this action alone creates even more space. 

35 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I hate that some of the fanbase are already sharpening their knives for Barkley. Rumblings of him being the seasons scapegoat started in pre-season and I just get the vibe people are either expecting him to be a dud, or wanting him to be a dud to validate their take on him.

I hope we give him the same time as any new signing. Unai's setup and demands do seem tough to fit into and there will be mistakes made but he will do better with the fans backing than without

I think some people are going on how his last spell ended here

I do get it but it was 3 years ago so time for a fresh start

• Like 2

penny for Ross' thoughts today. I know it's just one game, and once we get into 2 games a week, it'll change, but he's not getting on the pitch this side of September 😕

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Rodders said:

penny for Ross' thoughts today. I know it's just one game, and once we get into 2 games a week, it'll change, but he's not getting on the pitch this side of September 😕

Tielemans isn't playing 90 minutes every game till September, he won't be starting then either. 

• Like 1

Guys we have a big squad now. Not everyone can play ever week. 

Are we going to get this after every game now? People in every thread for anyone who didn’t play wondering whey they didn’t?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Guys we have a big squad now. Not everyone can play ever week. 
Are we going to get this after every game now? People in every thread for anyone who didn’t play wondering why they didn’t?

Yes. And as soon as someone has a bad half people will be clamouring for whoever is next in line or hasn't played in a while to replace him. Every player who doesn't play will automatically become 300% better than they actually are. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Tenner for the thoughts of Enzo & Iling Jnr then as neither was even on the bench. 

It's week 1 and we did what was needed to win the game. It's great to have a squad and have these 'problems'

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â