Ross Barkley

LondonLax

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

But I thought his strength on the ball was one of the reasons we signed him. But it's one friendly game so not going to judge 

It doesn't matter how strong you are on the ball if it's a shit pass 🤷‍♂️

lol, the scapegoat has been chosen!

I'll wait till he's actually played a few competitive games before I start to think it might not work, even then...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

was he though?

Seem to recall him and Kamara getting caught in possession and giving away penalties on recovering tackles a lot, McGinn aswell I think when he played deeper.

we got better at beating the press, but still had lapses - having Torres to come forward to create space was key, or Luiz etc having someone coming deeper to take the ball was key. Rather than everyone just wandering up field which has been what the friendlies have been like.

Barkley does look rusty, but will reserve judgement till we actually start our best team - as our selections have been pretty all over the place in these friendlies - as - they are friendlies

Luiz always seemed to fall down easy when under pressure thinking he was going to get a free kick, and then when none was given we were getting countered while he's laying on the ground.  Happened nearly every game, used to infuriate me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

I wonder as a percentage how many members of this forum are supporters of rival teams?

Oh I think they support villa, but first and foremost they are fans of their own opinions and intelligence

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lainux said:

He can't play out from the back with pressure on the ball which is key to our play. Luiz was the best at that.

People who were all aboard the "sell Luiz, he's not even that good" train are in for a rude awakening this season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lainux said:

He can't play out from the back with pressure on the ball which is key to our play. Luiz was the best at that.

This is why we signed Barrenechea. Not what Barkley was signed for. 

I don't think he's been bad in general, but with that he's made some basic errors, and I think people have become fixated on those rather than his overall performances, similar happened with both Mings and Watkins in former times no longer with us, Watkins would play well but miss a chance and that would get focused on, Ings would get way less criticism despite overall not doing as much Watkins, and Mings would do fine, but that would get ignored by many if he made a mistake, even if mistake didn't lead to a goal, i had a look on Tielemans thread early last season and up until October he was getting lampooned to the moon and back, just as it was early too judge Tielemans, it's now too early too judge Barkley, even more so for Barkley given he's only played about two games of football, and those in disjointed teams, playing what are essentially training games, he's probably not going to be as good as Luiz, but he's not expected to be, he's here to add something similar to what Tielemans does, and if ever he or Tielemans gets injured at least we've still got that skillset

• Like 3

I can see why people are a little concerned at the moment, as he has had a couple of similar wobbles in his first few matches back with us during the pre-season. It did look like he was fouled last night, but even so it is not what you want to see from your CM right in front of goal. Hopefully he can iron these things out before the season starts as he is a decent technical player. Hopefully as the players old and new become familiar with each other, these issues will be a distant memory.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think he's been bad in general, but with that he's made some basic errors, and I think people have become fixated on those rather than his overall performances, similar happened with both Mings and Watkins in former times no longer with us, Watkins would play well but miss a chance and that would get focused on, Ings would get way less criticism despite overall not doing as much Watkins, and Mings would do fine, but that would get ignored by many if he made a mistake, even if mistake didn't lead to a goal, i had a look on Tielemans thread early last season and up until October he was getting lampooned to the moon and back, just as it was early too judge Tielemans, it's now too early too judge Barkley, even more so for Barkley given he's only played about two games of football, and those in disjointed teams, playing what are essentially training games, he's probably not going to be as good as Luiz, but he's not expected to be, he's here to add something similar to what Tielemans does, and if ever he or Tielemans gets injured at least we've still got that skillset

You can tell in games if certain players misplace one pass or something similar you just know that's what's going to get exaggerated beyond comprehension. One moment is enough to make some quite dogged opinions on here quite a lot! 

58 minutes ago, est1874 said:

This is why we signed Barrenechea. Not what Barkley was signed for. 

Barrenechea won't be anywhere near our starting 11 this season (unless massive injury crisis strikes)

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Let's not write him off yet ffs

Already watched him plenty mate

And he don't have the Gerrard excuse

Posted (edited)

"Barkley was beaten." I'd call that suppurating tripe.

Even some of the professional match reports are just a joke. Makes you wonder how much bandwagon bullshit we're reading routinely in the football media, but this was an American telly production with American video feeds and -- well -- it wasn't great and it was horribly edited. Yesterday's first goal by Silva occurred because

• 1) Olsen's pass to Barkley was completely stupid and rushed and way too risky (Pau was wide open on Robin's left and not in traffic -- why give it to Ross when Leipzig are pressing centrally like a hurricane????) and
  • 2) Amadou Haidara was practically on Ross the moment the ball came to him (already so close to goal), and
  • 3) when Ross stepped forward towards our goal to evade Haidara with the ball still in his control, he slipped.

Simple as that. I was 20 metres away and saw it plain as day. Ross fought to get back to the ball he himself had moved towards the goal line to get it away from Haidara. He wasn't "beaten" any day of the week. That's complete bullshit. You want to call slipping in the rain in 90-degree heat "being beaten" after a shit pass, go ahead. Not saying Barkley covered himself in glory yesterday, but I hate when people make stuff up, and in this case, Olsen actually deserves the blame. Not sure exactly when the rain started, but it definitely made things slippery.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â