Ross Barkley

LondonLax

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This is where I am too

I'll add that Luton gave him a key role that we won't, hope I'm wrong but I'm not convinced his head will be right (again)

And again this whole emery is a genius and gets the best out of everyone narrative stuff...if Barkley decides to go for a beer every Friday cos he knows he's not starting every Saturday then what is he doing to fix that? Barkley's problems won't be his ability to kick a ball which can be fixed with coaching, it will be getting him to be at 100% even when he's getting 30 mins a month 

I think that can be aimed at many players....not getting in to the first 11 is a common problem to manage for players and Managers.

I think, if he stays fit, he will feature regularly....is my suspicion. He has the experience, the guile and vision, not to mention, deceptively quick feet, for a big man, to make it work.

I also think working with Unai, will inject a different dimension too.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Big fish in a small pond

I think it's a vastly different proposition to play for Villa where pressure is completely different

Fair point....but I think there is as many positives as negatives. I happen to think every incoming player is a gamble irrespective of the fee involved, so in this case, its not much of a gamble.....even though we all lose perspective, because £5 mill is still huge dough, outside football.

I would also like to add the negative pressure of a relegation battle is in stark contrast to the positive pressure of a champions league challenging team....so I think he has shown he can handle pressure, and that won't be lost on the inner sanctum.

Look, your points have merit....I just happen to think, he will do well.

29 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Yes he had a dip in form when on loan. But he wasn't in an Emery team. And he wasnt in a team that had great depth.

I remember not making effort what so ever when on field and then throwing shin pads when substituted, "dip in form".

Lets give him a new chance, but lets not paint his past something else.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Big fish in a small pond

I think it's a vastly different proposition to play for Villa where pressure is completely different

You’re jumping from argument to argument though. You said specifically that you worth he can’t dig in and show grit. People said he’s just shown he can and you responded that you don’t think he can handle the pressure. Either of those is a perfectly reasonable view to have but you can’t use one as proof of the other. He demonstrably can dig in and show grit. We will have to wait and see what happens with the pressure. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I would also like to add the negative pressure of a relegation battle is in stark contrast to the positive pressure of a champions league challenging team....so I think he has shown he can handle pressure, and that won't be lost on the inner sanctum.

In support of @Pinebro’s position, even though I’m arguing it’s a good signing, the pressure at Villa is more that everyone knows the crowd will turn on you very quickly and can be pretty unforgiving if they think you aren’t up to scratch (the latter is demonstrated by many of the complaints about his time on loan!) rather than anything about where we are in the table. Luton fans will definitely have been more accommodating than we will to any mistakes or dips.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Yes he had a dip in form when on loan. But he wasn't in an Emery team. And he wasnt in a team that had great depth.

Yep and he wasn't even that bad. I remember him trying to get back into the team when we were already in a bad run so it was just so easy to criticise him. I remember him coming on against Newcastle away, created our only two chances of the whole game and he still got pelters on here.

5 hours ago, Pinebro said:

What about the games when we'll have to dig in and show grit?

Because there will be plenty of those games. And that's when Barkley completely disappeared in his last spell here to my memory.

Easy for everyone to perform when we're on top and everything is going well.

That's what I'm waiting to see and during difficult patches that's when I will know if he has improved.

In both preseason friendlies when people got past him he was a passenger on recoveries.  There are two sides the game and Unai will expect application in both.

Its preseason so give him the benefit of the doubt, but “jogging” back is not a good optic.

It's an ideal situation for Barkley, really. He's there to be a reliable, squad option and perform when needed, rather than relied on as being the main man and all the pressure that comes with it. He can be a relatively important part of the side without being a key player (if that makes sense). 

47 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

In support of @Pinebro’s position, even though I’m arguing it’s a good signing, the pressure at Villa is more that everyone knows the crowd will turn on you very quickly and can be pretty unforgiving if they think you aren’t up to scratch (the latter is demonstrated by many of the complaints about his time on loan!) rather than anything about where we are in the table. Luton fans will definitely have been more accommodating than we will to any mistakes or dips.

In my experience the Villa crowd, turn when they feel the effort, is not been put in, and to a lesser extent the talent.

we all know, you need both, but the crowd are more forgiving to a trier

4 hours ago, vazquez said:

I remember not making effort what so ever when on field and then throwing shin pads when substituted, "dip in form".

Lets give him a new chance, but lets not paint his past something else.

This ignores a lot of the context round it. 

The guy came here to rescue his career and started brilliantly. Injuries and COVID seemed to ruin it and his career once again looked like it was heading only one way. Not great to see but his frustration and struggles were understandable.

Now to his credit he's reinvented himself as a player and just had a brilliant season at premier league level. 

That loan spell before seems so irrelevant when judging him now. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

He had a dip in form lasting 5 years, if anything, his last season is an anomaly and a purple patch.

I think based on the preseason games we’re going to get the Luton version of Barkley.

It seems to me that he really enjoys being the fulcrum of the side in possession. Picking the ball up from the centre backs or keeper and building up the play. The player with the most touches which fits in well with how we play.

When I saw Luton’s highlights last season for all the good stuff he did in possession there were still occasional costly errors and he wasn’t always great out of possession. But people were still blowing smoke up his arse because the good stuff was particularly eye catching for a team like Luton. I don’t think that it is a lack of effort but he has spent his whole career further up the pitch where such weaknesses are acceptable. I am not sure that even Emery will be able to completely irradicate that stuff from his game although I expect it to improve.

On the other hand I think he showed in the last game what a huge positive difference he can make on the game (together with Rogers). Because he can dictate Villa’s play in spells. Rogers is moving in the space between the lines and Barkley sees it and plays the ball quicker than an option like Dendonker etc.

If he could do everything else for 90 minutes every game we wouldn’t be buying him as a squad player for £5m!

47 minutes ago, mallett said:

I think based on the preseason games we’re going to get the Luton version of Barkley.

It seems to me that he really enjoys being the fulcrum of the side in possession. Picking the ball up from the centre backs or keeper and building up the play. The player with the most touches which fits in well with how we play.

When I saw Luton’s highlights last season for all the good stuff he did in possession there were still occasional costly errors and he wasn’t always great out of possession. But people were still blowing smoke up his arse because the good stuff was particularly eye catching for a team like Luton. I don’t think that it is a lack of effort but he has spent his whole career further up the pitch where such weaknesses are acceptable. I am not sure that even Emery will be able to completely irradicate that stuff from his game although I expect it to improve.

On the other hand I think he showed in the last game what a huge positive difference he can make on the game (together with Rogers). Because he can dictate Villa’s play in spells. Rogers is moving in the space between the lines and Barkley sees it and plays the ball quicker than an option like Dendonker etc.

If he could do everything else for 90 minutes every game we wouldn’t be buying him as a squad player for £5m!

Yeah with Dougie gone we need a new ”controller” on the pitch. Tielemans and Barkley will take turns in that role I guess.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â