Ross Barkley

LondonLax

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We're acting like he's an unknown. 

He's just had a brilliant premier league season. 

Not for us

All I remember from Barkley for us is having a few good games and then deciding to sign off for the majority of the season when the going got tough.

And unlike some others in our squad he does not have the Gerrard excuse

Barkley has quite a bit to do to win over because I will remain unconvinced until I see him in competitive games. And I want to see him maintain a level not just go through a purple patch

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

This version of Barkley is better than the version of Luiz from Feb-May.

Gobsmacked you've got 6 likes for this. 

He's played 2 x 45 minute spells against extremely poor opposition in pre season rather than 10 games against "strongest league in world football" opposition after a gruelling season. 

I don't think it's possible to reach any conclusions.

And I don't believe Barkley is going to be a failure. It's just an impossible comparison. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not for us

All I remember from Barkley for us is having a few good games and then deciding to sign off for the majority of the season when the going got tough.

Barkley has quite a bit to do to win over because I will remain unconvinced until I see him in competitive games. And I want to see him maintain a level not just go through a purple patch

Wasn't it so that he had got hit by covid really hard and was struggling to get back to fitness?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We're acting like he's an unknown. 

He's just had a brilliant premier league season. 

He was good for a dogshit Luton team. I'm onboard with the signing. It's little risk and a good fee and a good squad player but he wasn't "brilliant"

27 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He was good for a dogshit Luton team. I'm onboard with the signing. It's little risk and a good fee and a good squad player but he wasn't "brilliant"

Regardless of the team he was excellent at premier league level. Some pundits were talking about a potential England call up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Not for us

He's playing in a completely different way and role to how he was when first here. 

• Like 2

I have a feeling we will see the best version of Ross Barkley in much the same way as we did with Macca.

When he is "on it" he is a very good player.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have a feeling we will see the best version of Ross Barkley in much the same way as we did with Macca.

What about the games when we'll have to dig in and show grit?

Because there will be plenty of those games. And that's when Barkley completely disappeared in his last spell here to my memory.

Easy for everyone to perform when we're on top and everything is going well.

That's what I'm waiting to see and during difficult patches that's when I will know if he has improved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Gobsmacked you've got 6 likes for this. 

He's played 2 x 45 minute spells against extremely poor opposition in pre season rather than 10 games against "strongest league in world football" opposition after a gruelling season. 

I don't think it's possible to reach any conclusions.

And I don't believe Barkley is going to be a failure. It's just an impossible comparison. 

Don't think he's decided it from two friendly appearances.

It's based on the last six months, and it's correct. Doug was dog.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TRO said:

paul-mccartney-hey-baby.gif

Edited by sidcow

Because there will be plenty of those games. And that's when Barkley completely disappeared in his last spell here to my memory.

That's what I'm waiting to see and during difficult patches that's when I will know if he has improved.

I think being gritty is just what he's spent the season doing with Luton, as he was used in a more circumspect role there. And there was precious little digging in or grit on display from Luiz after Kamara's injury, as let's be honest, he was mostly well below par second half of last season. Anyway, we're buying Onana for the getting stuck in bit.

• Like 4

Yeah you’re right he only did well at Luton last season because they were always on top in games. You’ve convinced me for one.

Barkley out!

If Onana and Barkley do form a top 4 competing midfield, Everton fans must be looking on with envy..... "Footballs a funny old game"

• Haha 1

Yes he had a dip in form when on loan. But he wasn't in an Emery team. And he wasnt in a team that had great depth.

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Not for us

This is where I am too

I'll add that Luton gave him a key role that we won't, hope I'm wrong but I'm not convinced his head will be right (again)

And again this whole emery is a genius and gets the best out of everyone narrative stuff...if Barkley decides to go for a beer every Friday cos he knows he's not starting every Saturday then what is he doing to fix that? Barkley's problems won't be his ability to kick a ball which can be fixed with coaching, it will be getting him to be at 100% even when he's getting 30 mins a month 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

If Onana and Barkley do form a top 4 competing midfield, Everton fans must be looking on with envy..... "Footballs a funny old game"

They can reflect on it from their new stadium. In the championship. With a points deduction. 

Such a shame for such a historic club (not sarcasm) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

it's a valid point and one I am always aware of and addressing.....As has been mentioned on here in earlier posts, he has had a cracking season for Luton, where the very conditions you allude to, he was embroiled in, much of the time.....He played a different role for Luton, than he played for us, that is a significant factor, in my view.

We'll have to wait and see to be sure....but I just have a hunch he will be fine, this time around.

38 minutes ago, Risso said:

I think being gritty is just what he's spent the season doing with Luton, as he was used in a more circumspect role there. And there was precious little digging in or grit on display from Luiz after Kamara's injury, as let's be honest, he was mostly well below par second half of last season. Anyway, we're buying Onana for the getting stuck in bit.

I agree.....however, I think we are signing a few who can "weigh in" too....Unai has surely spotted weakness, and is addressing it.

I don't know how we achieved what we did last season, with the middle wide open, at times.....set pieces looked flimsy...... a goals against column, fit for a mid-table team and an injury list resembling the "D" day landings.

For the bits we did well, was unbelievable to cover those shortfalls, simply mind blowing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

it's a valid point and one I am always aware of and addressing.....As has been mentioned on here in earlier posts, he has had a cracking season for Luton, where the very conditions you allude to, he was embroiled in, much of the time.....He played a different role for Luton, than he played for us, that is a significant factor, in my view.

We'll have to wait and see to be sure....but I just have a hunch he will be fine, this time around.

Big fish in a small pond

I think it's a vastly different proposition to play for Villa where pressure is completely different

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â