Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Yes I am.

Different club with difference expectations. 

You cannot compare the pressure at Luton vs the pressure at Aston Villa.

Emery can deal with that aspect of the game, as he's shown us with all our other players who couldn't deal with the pressure. Emery installs believe in them, it's a great talent to have. This time next year he will be on the fringes of the England squad. Far more to his game than Rice. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

The pressure of relegation and threat of then playing in the championship next season was probably enough to make it pretty important how he performed. He handled that pressure.

They were expected to be relegated. Barely spent any money

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

They were expected to be relegated. Barely spent any money

And his performances nearly kept them up. Admittedly the standard down the bottom was pretty low, but they only had relegation confirmed at game 37 I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Emery can deal with that aspect of the game, as he's shown us with all our other players who couldn't deal with the pressure. Emery installs believe in them, it's a great talent to have. This time next year he will be on the fringes of the England squad. Far more to his game than Rice. 

Time will tell

Though I'm not the greatest fan of Barkley after his loan spell here.

He was absolutely dreadful for the most of it and he doesn't have the Gerrard excuse

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And his performances nearly kept them up. Admittedly the standard down the bottom was pretty low, but they only had relegation confirmed at game 37 I believe.

26 points is an abysmal points total.

Fact that 32 points was enough says more how poor the bottom teams were that particular season than anything else

By his own admission, came here to play CL football and wants to get back into the England reckoning. Good to hear.

Problem he has is, Emery is creating a ridiculous amount of competition for each starting spot (a good thing). He's gonna be up against Kamara, Onana, Tielemans and Barrenechea for one of the two roles. Good luck to him.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

By his own admission, came here to play CL football and wants to get back into the England reckoning. Good to hear.

Problem he has is, Emery is creating a ridiculous amount of competition for each starting spot (a good thing). He's gonna be up against Kamara, Onana, Tielemans and Barrenechea for one of the two roles. Good luck to him.

He will get plenty of game time. It’s a squad game now: 5 subs, game phases with changes in personnel/game structure, cup runs. Our fading last season was fatigue due to injuries, it’s a lesson learned and the burden will be shared.

23 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Thought he was way off last night , pre season admittedly but he looked a bit behind in terms of fitness and gave the ball away a lot. Plenty of work for him to do.

To be fair pretty much every player on both sides gave the ball away a lot. It was a big feature of the game. Granted he was probably responsible for the worst example though that Walsall should have scored from. 

He had one bad touch and one particularly bad pass that I can remember but I thought he was really tidy last night.

Very classy, good awareness, nice one touch passes 99% of the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

He had one bad touch and one particularly bad pass that I can remember but I thought he was really tidy last night.

Very classy, good awareness, nice one touch passes 99% of the time.

I agree. He looked really tidy. He was constantly showing for the ball but quite often he was not given it. He was definitely one of the better performers last night.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tinker said:

Got 2 assists and wore the number 6........

I think this will be a feature of his time with us. 

He'll make us more threatening going forwards, but weaker defensively.

Now, you look at last season and you'd say that's bad news because we were already pretty poor defensively and pretty strong going forwards.

However, with the signing of Onana, the ability to play Konsa back in the middle with Ned used at right back, and the extra year Pau has under his belt should all mean we're better defensively than we were in the latter half of last season after Kamara was injured.

And that's before we welcome him back. 

When Kamara comes back we've then got options to go more attacking (any combination of Onana/Barkley/Tielemans/McGinn) or more defensive (any combination of Onana/Kamara/Enzo) with our midfield two.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I think this will be a feature of his time with us. 

He'll make us more threatening going forwards, but weaker defensively.

Now, you look at last season and you'd say that's bad news because we were already pretty poor defensively and pretty strong going forwards.

However, with the signing of Onana, the ability to play Konsa back in the middle with Ned used at right back, and the extra year Pau has under his belt should all mean we're better defensively than we were in the latter half of last season after Kamara was injured.

And that's before we welcome him back. 

When Kamara comes back we've then got options to go more attacking (any combination of Onana/Barkley/Tielemans/McGinn) or more defensive (any combination of Onana/Kamara/Enzo) with our midfield two.

Defensively Doug was no power house although his ball retention was good. As you have pointed out I think we will be stronger defensively in open play and also set pieces, our average height is definitely rising. 

Looked sweaty as ever in the clips I've seen. Good thing he didn't have to play in last years kit 😀

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, sne said:

Looked sweaty as ever in the clips I've seen. Good thing he didn't have to play in last years kit 😀

It’s funny. I hadn’t seen the new kits in action yet. I was wondering if we had the same wet rag issue so the first photo I saw was Barkley soaked and thought here we go again. 💦

Quietly impressed with him against Walsall. Playing alongside a youth prospect, he looked a class above on the whole. I'm still needing convincing if the planning for him to replace Luiz in the first 11.....but I could be persuaded on this one if he carries on like this. 

On 17/07/2024 at 19:47, Pinebro said:

Time will tell

Though I'm not the greatest fan of Barkley after his loan spell here.

He was absolutely dreadful for the most of it and he doesn't have the Gerrard excuse

He was a big fish in a small pond at Luton.  I'm hoping he is much more successful here than in his loan spell but I have some reservations.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â