Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

See I thought that, but looking back through this thread, and people were not happy with him.

To be fair you can look at any player thread on this forum, up to and including John McGinn, Jack Grealish and Tyrone Mings (as our last three captains) and find people saying they aren’t good enough for the level we were at that time…

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

He was absolutely terrible for 2 or 3 performances in a row, when our early season form started to wilt .. absolutely shocking passenger of a fella he was, and then when he was finally dropped from the first team he came off the bench for the majority of the remaining season. He may have been decent in a couple of cameo appearances but his body language and at visible on field efforts were a disgrace at times.

In saying all that, the reason he upset so much is I believe he's better than a good player.

I'm excited he is back and I would not be surprised at all if he isn't signing of the season by seasons end.

There was also that tabloid story about how he after being an unused sub on Villa’s bench went to London and got wasted.

I didn’t like this signing at first but am onboard now.

19 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

He’s got questionable fitness history, giving other players like that longer contracts didn’t  usually work out well for us.

Without wanting to dig up another long running debate of the past, my understanding is if he retires from injury it will be covered by  insurance. 

In his first spell here I thought he often looked lazy, not coming back to defend. But he looked anything but at Luton, very much all action. It makes me think what we saw from him here, just wandering about out of possession with no defensive responsibility was tactical (or lack of)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

To repeat something posted before, that lots still don't seem to recall. He was once a defensive midfielder, this side of the game is natural to him. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68499477.amp

From the man himself:

Last season with Luton and Rob Edwards seems to have unlocked the skillset and confidence playing that role again, as he also said:

Add to this natural ability, his learnt trade at the other end of the pitch, his time learning in France for Nice after us, and we should be getting a player far better than most people's expectations. Maybe finally living up to his hype. 

Interesting, cheers for sharing this. I had no idea he'd broken his leg before. It takes some serious mental fortitude to come back from something like that so I really do hope we see the best of him.

He has always had the right attributes to be a class midfielder. Height, strength, pace, can tackle, shoot, pass etc.  I think his career really stalled in the last year at Everton when he was injured and left under a bit of a cloud to go to Chelsea which was the wrong move in the end. He barely played and people forgot about him. Along with the rest of the team he had a good start with us but got injured and tailed off. And seemed to do little in France. So you have to give him massive credit in re starting his career last season at Luton. Statistically he was one of the best midfielders in the league in a poor side. Perhaps at age 30 we might get to see a more mature rounded player to finally deliver on his talents all those years ago at Everton.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He has always had the right attributes to be a class midfielder. Height, strength, pace, can tackle, shoot, pass etc.  I think his career really stalled in the last year at Everton when he was injured and left under a bit of a cloud to go to Chelsea which was the wrong move in the end. He barely played and people forgot about him. Along with the rest of the team he had a good start with us but got injured and tailed off. And seemed to do little in France. So you have to give him massive credit in re starting his career last season at Luton. Statistically he was one of the best midfielders in the league in a poor side. Perhaps at age 30 we might get to see a more mature rounded player to finally deliver on his talents all those years ago at Everton.

He also has a reputation of being a party boy for a large part of his career. Not growing up until he turned 30 might have affected his career.

Edited by sne

Â