Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 hours ago, jigen said:

Ok, but Barkley is 30 years old: he fails at Chelsea, was average in a Villa midtable team and good for Luton in relegation battle. Maybe this is his level... 

Champions League? Yeah we hope so too

32 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Oh I’d be amazed if he wasn’t going to play a deep lying playmaker role.

Yeah we have definitely signed him to play in the progressive deep role that Dougie was playing, no doubt in my mind about that. We've seen his ability to receive the ball under pressure, shield/turn, and progress the ball either with a pass or a run... it's exactly what Emery wants in a deep midfielder - for me, it's the same reason we ended up keen on Barrenechea from Juve, except the latter being more defensively capable from what I've seen/heard. I think Barkley started to show a touch more willingness to embrace the defensive side last season as he adapted to that role, but he's not exactly a defensive monster.

Edited by Monsieur Hazdazler
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Having just watched this, I’m now convinced he can do what Luiz did for us. Maybe Emery sees him as that deep lying playmaker? 

i dont think he will be a nailed on starter, but as you say, i can see him in that 8 role that Luiz played, but also in the inside wide midfielder role as well as a 10, i think we might see him deployed in a few positions throughout the season, a great squad player to have if he applies himself.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Having just watched this, I’m now convinced he can do what Luiz did for us. Maybe Emery sees him as that deep lying playmaker? 

Get with the times. That's definitely where he's going to play.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

My ears! You've gotta give a warning before you post something like that! 🤮

That aside, Barkley was surrounded by dross in that game - from both sides.

On 23/06/2024 at 22:59, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Yeah we have definitely signed him to play in the progressive deep role that Dougie was playing, no doubt in my mind about that. We've seen his ability to receive the ball under pressure, shield/turn, and progress the ball either with a pass or a run... it's exactly what Emery wants in a deep midfielder - for me, it's the same reason we ended up keen on Barrenechea from Juve, except the latter being more defensively capable from what I've seen/heard. I think Barkley started to show a touch more willingness to embrace the defensive side last season as he adapted to that role, but he's not exactly a defensive monster.

Actually he is... or was. As a youth player he was a DM. He got injured during a bad challenge and that resulted in him playing further forward after he came back from injury to avoid a repeat. 

The instinct and understanding is there. The ability seems to be there based on how season at Luton. The unknown for me is really if the fitness and confidence he had last season will remain for us. I'm on the side of the fence that thinks he'll take to Emeryball really well. 

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really poor article with nothing in it. Just references and quotes from old articles.

Shouldn't be surprised. My fault for visiting that website.

Yep, all old information and irrelevant to the tweet… no word on/from Unai in that article…

Regardless, it’s enough that Unai wants him signed but, having met and discussed things with Ross (if he even did! 😆), it must mean that he seems him shining/thriving here and has clearly identified a role or position for him that will only help us out.

I’d still be surprised if he became a starter and hope we sign a top quality midfielder to offset the loss of Dougie…

Edited by Jas10

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really poor article with nothing in it. Just references and quotes from old articles.

Shouldn't be surprised. My fault for visiting that website.

Why people are still quoting this website is beyond me. They post so often (sometimes contradicting their own stories) that you could cherry pick  any agenda from there that suits your narrative.

Â