Ross Barkley

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, jigen said:

What is the point of buying Barkley? You already had him when you were a mid table team and he wasn't good enough. And now you are a CL team and buy him older.

More experienced depth in the area.

Can't say I'm hugely convinced though if he has to come in and start ten successive games.

Way to see it is he is this summer's Tielemans signing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jigen said:

What is the point of buying Barkley? You already had him when you were a mid table team and he wasn't good enough. And now you are a CL team and buy him older.

He's a very good footballer, coming off an impressive season in the PL. It's a cheap low risk signing that provides depth in the squad.

We're a very different team now and credit to Barkley he's really tried to turn his career around. Emery works wonders with these type of technical players.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jigen said:

trying to justify it in my head.....

When we signed Barkley the first time around, he was a marquee signing who was meant to link with Grealish and drive the team forward, obviously, Barkley played well at times, and not others.

In terms of now, Barkley has shown that he has adapted his game more, and is comfortable playing further forward, and also in a deeper midfield role, also, i dont think Barkley's ability was ever in question, if anything it was his application that was questioned.

Barkley has shown at Luton this year that he can apply himself consistently, adapt to new roles and be consistent, he is also a physical specimen, when he chooses to use it.

Fast forwarding to now, Barkley wouldnt be coming in to be a marquee signing, or be costing us 25/30m like was proposed after his loan last time, he would be coming in for 5m, as a squad player, where if he applies himself and works hard will get a good amount of squad game time in a few positions i would guess, and if he can apply himself here like he did at Luton, it has every chance of working out.

So the main points for me, is that this time around its a totally different scenario, he isnt a 30m player coming to be our marquee signing and be our superstar alongside Grealish, he is coming in for 5m to be a good and adaptable squad player, and tbh, i think if he does work hard and apply himself, it could work out well tbh.

If it doesnt work out, he isnt one of our star buys, he wasnt expensive, and aside from wages and contract length, it isnt a millstone.

Edited by MaVilla

15 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Doing the deal now instead of July like expected?

Could suggest that we're confident that our PSR situation is sorted, to the point where we can get it done earlier in this season's accounts..?

Not really relevant at this point with incoming signings, so close to the end of June.

Say it’s a 3-year contract at £5m, that’s amortised at £138,000 per month so would only be that much onto this year’s accounts (assuming they aren’t going even more granular and doing it by day). 2-year contract would be £208,000. Either way it’s a rounding error vs another £100m+ or the sales of Luiz, Kellyman, Iroegbunum etc 

9 minutes ago, jigen said:

He's fine as an extra squad player to cover injuries or come on with 15/20 minutes to go to keep the ball as he's clearly better than Chambers or Iroegbunam who were playing CM for us at the end of last season when we had injuries.

He also had a very good season at Luton and there were calls for him to be recalled for England.

However, if he is starting on the opening day of the season for us it will be a disaster. Douglas Luiz and Boubacar Kamara out and Barkley in as one of their replacements makes us weaker. We MUST buy another player here at the level of Luiz/Kamara.

21 minutes ago, jigen said:

It's a fair question. I think it's a case of him reinventing himself in a new position and us having a new manager to when he was here before. He's relatively inexpensive too. We had a weak bench last season too often.

3 minutes ago, Isa said:

Obviously had a good season at Luton but I do notice he was not in the matchday squad for 5 of the final 7 matches with no indication of an injury which is somewhat concerning given they were the most crucial games of the season for them. Unless he was carrying a knock and it was just unreported. 

do you mean he wasnt in the squad for 5 of the FIRST 7 games?

image.thumb.png.42f5fec7fec51a6955392509ae6e817d.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

do you mean he wasnt in the squad for 5 of the FIRST 7 games?

image.thumb.png.42f5fec7fec51a6955392509ae6e817d.png

Ah assumed they were in chronologically decending order, my bad. 

• Like 1

He played around 3500 minutes this season all competitions. That's by far the most he's played since the 15/16 season where he played about 3800 mins. On average he's played maybe 1000-1300 mins a season since 16/17 (all according to Transfermarkt)

Luiz played about 4400 mins this season for us to go with the limited minutes he got for Brazil. No way are we signing Barkley as anything more than a squad option. 

7 minutes ago, sne said:

He played around 3500 minutes this season all competitions. That's by far the most he's played since the 15/16 season where he played about 3800 mins. On average he's played maybe 1000-1300 mins a season since 16/17 (all according to Transfermarkt)

Luiz played about 4400 mins this season for us to go with the limited minutes he got for Brazil. No way are we signing Barkley as anything more than a squad option. 

i was going to say, that its interesting that at 31 years old, he has only played around 300 senior games.

compared to McGinn (400 ish), Watkins (370 ish), both of whom could possibly add another 100+ games to their tally before they reach Barkely's current age.

Pau Torres, who is 4 years younger is on 260 games, Cash who is 5 years younger is on 260.

I guess, if he has looked after himself, he should have plenty of legs left in his early 30s.......or maybe not :P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The main way to "justify " it is that Unai emery has sanctioned it.

Doesn't need much more investigation imo

Nah, you're not allowed to trust the club anymore apparently. 

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Barkley off the bench or Barkley starting when fixture congestion is high > Tim Iroegbunam and Dendonker. I'll take that for £5m.

The end

…for £5m profit, going on the players you mention there…

9 hours ago, jigen said:

Emi Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Luiz, Watkins, Mcginn were also players in a mid table team that have since proved they are good enough to qualify for the CL. 

Sometimes its the right players but the wrong manager, i think were a club thats testament to that.

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Emi Martinez, Konsa, Mings, Cash, Luiz, Watkins, Mcginn were also players in a mid table team that have since proved they are good enough to qualify for the CL. 

Sometimes its the right players but the wrong manager, i think were a club thats testament to that.

Ok, but Barkley is 30 years old: he fails at Chelsea, was average in a Villa midtable team and good for Luton in relegation battle. Maybe this is his level... 

6 minutes ago, jigen said:

Ok, but Barkley is 30 years old: he fails at Chelsea, was average in a Villa midtable team and good for Luton in relegation battle. Maybe this is his level... 

definitely possible, but its also worth remembering that Tielemans was relegated last year and hasnt been bad.

Im ok with the signing but not overjoyed with it. I really hope he isnt the Luiz replacement and i also worry how good he'll be if hes making just sub appearances.

7 minutes ago, jigen said:

Don't really follow the logic of this post. All 3 teams you've mentioned there were playing in the Premier League. So the quality of opposition is the same. The fact he played his best football in a worse team only makes that achievement better. So by all accounts, the Premier League is his level.

I'd say his turn around in form is more likely due to the fact he was playing a different position with a different role to previous. I suspect we've signed him to play the same role he did at Luton. 

Â