Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 hour ago, david-avfc said:

Still not convinced on this one at all. 

Even disregarding the obvious criticisms for a second, the reality is we need a ball winning defensive midfielder, that’s certainly not Barkley, and for deeper “playmakers” we are already well covered with Tielemans and Luiz, Barkley is a step down in quality on those two. With the squad restrictions I don’t see where he fits in. 

Back to the obvious criticisms, I am not at all convinced that a player who has suffered his entire career with injury and fitness issues, general poor athleticism and severe lack of consistency has suddenly overcome all of those problems in 1 season, at a relegated team who were playing under no pressure all season.

I still think we’ll get one Davo. Donk gone, Tim will be loaned or sold and there’ll be some others maybe even Dougie. It’s all really a guessing game atm what the brains trust are planning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

At this point if Unai wanted to re-sign Marlon Harewood I'd be fine with that.

Brother I’ve actually never been more confident and at ease with our tops heads and with Unai there I believe he can get anyone firing that he chooses to buy. He must see something in Barkley, had discussions and is confident he’ll add to the squad as Tielemans has 

• Like 1

If the rumoured wages of 60k a week is true, then worse case scenario we got another Chambers than another Coutinho. 
 If last season was an indicator, he’s much better than than both put together 

• Like 1

3 years ago one couldn't imagine that Barkley would be playing for us in the Champions League and not he who shall not be named

3 minutes ago, a-k said:

3 years ago one couldn't imagine that Barkley would be playing for us in the Champions League and not he who shall not be named

GREALISH!!!! How hard is that? And I would love him to come back too.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

As long as his head is screwed on right he will offer the squad a lot more than Tim, the Donk and Chambers. For a 5th or 6th choice CM he's as good as you can hope for really.

We still need the player who takes over from Kamara until he's back and then offers competition and rotation once he is.

56 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

An astute signing......and very unlikely we've paid £5m.....

Would feel Luton got one over us if we are paying £5m for him. Maybe that is with all potential bonuses kicking in - like Barkley scoring the winning goal in the UCL finals! 😆  

25 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Hearing Everton tried to hijack the deal 🤣

To kidnap him and hold him for ransom? (to help pay their bills).

I've just been having a look at the stats and (whilst it is hard to make too many meaningful conclusions give 1 played for a team who finished 4th and the other in a team that got relegated) it does look like Ross's numbers last season are broadly similar to Luiz (i.e. he's really here to allow us to rotate Luiz more often and make it easier for him to stay fully fit all season).  However, for anyone thinking that Ross might be the DCM answer the stats show a big fat "no".  

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?show_form=1&request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&player_id1=3a24769f&p1yrfrom=2023-2024&player_id2=6f7d826d&p2yrfrom=2023-2024

The key being this bit:

Defensive Actions

Tackles Challenges Blocks  
Player Span Nation Pos Squad 90s Tkl TklW Def 3rd Mid 3rd Att 3rd Tkl Att Tkl% Lost Blocks Sh Pass Int Tkl+Int Clr Err
Ross Barkley 2023-24 eng ENG MF Luton Town 29.1 47 19 16 21 10 11 48 22.9 37 25 9 16 25 72 51 2
Douglas Luiz 2023-24 br BRA MF Aston Villa 33.3 58 38 21 27 10 25 53 47.2 28 32 8 24 23 81 18 2
Totals may not be complete for all senior-level play, see coverage note.
An underline indicates the data for the statistic is incomplete

I still think it is a shrewd signing that gives us options.  Luiz, Tielemans and Barkley all give us good options for retaining possession and progressing the ball in a controlled way - but with the ability to thread a game changing pass through the opposition.

Â