Ross Barkley

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I'm not sure about this signing at all. Old dog cant learn new tricks?
Please proof me wrong. 

Had a great season for one of the worst teams in the league. Would have been very handy to have second half of the season 

Understand why a few people are still a bit sniffy about this deal, but… if he can carry over his form for Luton into Emery’s system, he may be pushing for a starting place before too long. 

• Like 3

Still not convinced on this one at all. 

Even disregarding the obvious criticisms for a second, the reality is we need a ball winning defensive midfielder, that’s certainly not Barkley, and for deeper “playmakers” we are already well covered with Tielemans and Luiz, Barkley is a step down in quality on those two. With the squad restrictions I don’t see where he fits in. 

Back to the obvious criticisms, I am not at all convinced that a player who has suffered his entire career with injury and fitness issues, general poor athleticism and severe lack of consistency has suddenly overcome all of those problems in 1 season, at a relegated team who were playing under no pressure all season.

7 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Even disregarding the obvious criticisms for a second, the reality is we need a ball winning defensive midfielder, that’s certainly not Barkley, and for deeper “playmakers” we are already well covered with Tielemans and Luiz, Barkley is a step down in quality on those two. With the squad restrictions I don’t see where he fits in. 

Back to the obvious criticisms, I am not at all convinced that a player who has suffered his entire career with injury and fitness issues, general poor athleticism and severe lack of consistency has suddenly overcome all of those problems in 1 season, at a relegated team who were playing under no pressure all season.

Even if you are right, there's no joy at all in that. Alternatively, you are wrong and perhaps you could enjoy the possibility that you are.

32 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

The none obvious criticisms don't stack up. Between them, Luiz and Youri played over 4600 minutes in the PL. Thats over 51 games. If we only needed one of them at a time, then those figures would be much lower.

To then add in the cup games they played,  it's fairly clear we could benefit from another body that can play that role.  This would allow Youri to play further forward more often. 

Yes, we need bodies elsewhere more (Kamara 2.0, and right back), but for the low cost he's a great purchase. 

See also the stats in this post...he was very good defensively.

59 minutes ago, thunderball said:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Powehi said:

The use of the oxymoronic "Here we go..soon" has annoyed me no end. 

His clout chasing just got embarrassing. People liked him because he wouldn’t do this and gave you deals when they happened. 

Â