Ross Barkley

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Nobody is "shook" so don't talk bollocks. Some just don't so any merit in bringing him back after his previous stint, or that it really improves the squad. It's hardly reinventing is it, managing to last a season after years of doing nothing playing in a Luton side that have been relegated. 😂

It's irrelevant what he did here though in his last stint, he was playing a different role under a different manager.

Neil from For the Love of Paul McGrath has very good breakdown on him, as well as a conversation with a Luton fan about him.

They absolutely adore him there.

Breakdown and chat, stats etc .

Chat with Luton Fan is the second video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It's irrelevant what he did here though in his last stint, he was playing a different role under a different manager.

It's 100% relevant. He's a midfielder and still plays in midfield. Unless of course you know exactly what Unai has planned for him..... IF he comes back.

The link is purely speculative at the moment but everyone already seems to know how Unai will utilise him. "Off the bench, to rotate with X, Y or Z." That's not a go at you personally but nobody knows tbh, everyone is speculating and coming up with their own conclusions. He may not even return in which case this is all pretty pointless anyway. 

I don't have no problem with those that see potential merits in bringing him back, I just don't see it the same way that's all.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Neil from For the Love of Paul McGrath has very good breakdown on him, as well as a conversation with a Luton fan about him.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the fact that they adored him and that he was their best player. This Luton team is a very low bar, and many half decent players could stand out.

I remember when Buendia left Norwich they were saying he was the best player ever to play for them. Well, he didn't pull any trees here.

• Confused 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

It's 100% relevant. He's a midfielder and still plays in midfield. Unless of course you know exactly what Unai has planned for him..... IF he comes back.

The link is purely speculative at the moment but everyone already seems to know how Unai will utilise him. "Off the bench, to rotate with X, Y or Z." That's not a go at you personally but nobody knows tbh, everyone is speculating and coming up with their own conclusions. He may not even return in which case this is all pretty pointless anyway. 

I don't have no problem with those that see potential merits in bringing him back, I just don't see it the same way that's all.

giphy.gif 

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It's pretty clear Emery wants him based on his performances last season for Luton, he isn't watching 2020-21 Ross Barkley clips, and thinking "I want some of that in my team"

9 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I wouldn't pay any attention to the fact that they adored him and that he was their best player. This Luton team is a very low bar, and many half decent players could stand out.

I remember when Buendia left Norwich they were saying he was the best player ever to play for them. Well, he didn't pull any trees here.

Ok we'll pay attention to all the other bits then... Lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It's pretty clear Emery wants him based on his performances last season for Luton, he isn't watching 2020-21 Ross Barkley clips, and thinking "I want some of that in my team"

Whatever 👍

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

He’s a “moneyball” kind of signing. Not necessarily in a financial POV (yet he just so happens to cheap), but from an over looked player POV. He was a wonder kid with expectations that he’s going to be an elite player. He shown signs of it, but he unfortunately struggled with consistency and also being lost in the Chelsea’s unforgiving system for years. We got him on loan and he was fantastic for a part of the season, yet got injured/covid and lost all that momentum. So it didn’t end with a positive. Skip a head, he had an absolute blast of a full season with Luton and lots of praise and shouts for an England call up. 

so in short, he’s an elite player that’s been lost and if last season was a sign, it’s a sign he’s found/finding himself again. 

Definitely worth a punt, more so when you factor in the low cost too

low risk/ high reward 

Also, the "Emery factor" in extracting every ounce of ability out of a player.

2 hours ago, David-Copenhagen said:

That does not mean anything. We can make a deal now, he just can't join before the window opens. 

It could be when it comes to “why has this gone quiet?” etc. It may well be a done deal but will be announced once he moves - which can’t happen as he can’t move yet. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Also, the "Emery factor" in extracting every ounce of ability out of a player.

Exactly. 
to be hard on Ross, he doesn’t come across as particularly intelligent or an ideas man on the pitch. So he may need a manager who does all the thinking for him. Emery is definitely that manager.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Small club with zero expectations.

Completely different.

He is 30

Was total garbage here

Will likely be on high wages

No resell value

I just don't see this as a good deal, like at all.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No Surprise, he's probably the only player Luton have had in their history* who is good enough to play top flight football (*not on a plastic pitch).

Edited by villa89

17 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Will likely be on high wages

Because Luton were paying him a lot or because you think there’ll be a lot of competition for him now…?

12 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Not to mention that Emery has a history of taking players much like Barkley and reinventing them as pivotal parts of his squad/team (Coqeulin anyone?)

This is the key thing. I’ve seen Emery turn players I thought were rubbish into great players - not just here but for years and years. So if he thinks he can do that with someone, he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Â