Ross Barkley

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Time to put El Ghazi on the left and Jack in the centre, Ross on the bench?

Feels like it to me.

Rather get Sanson (Nakamba or Ramsey) on and keep Grealish where he is.

El Ghazi or Trez can come on for Traore if he plays like today

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Jack in the centre

Yes. He is continually getting doubled up along the touchline. He needs a bit more breathing room and if he's not hemmed in by the touchline he'll have more options to maneuver.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I think perhaps we need to let go of this idea that one of the midield three has to be a 'no.10', we've tried that many times with Grealish and more often than not it doesn't work, as essentially you're just playing with two midielders, it puts too much pressure on Luiz and McGinn. Having Barkley in central midield is a luxury, not so much because he's a bad player himself, but because it's not really his position, something I'm surprised doesn't get pointed out more often, very rare he'd play there for either Everton or Chelsea, he more often than not would play in a similar position that Grealish plays for us, basically as one of Chelsea's wide attackers with license to come inside.

Not sure I agree with any of that. 

On 30/01/2021 at 08:37, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'd like to see him returned to Chelsea.

On 30/01/2021 at 09:06, Steero113 said:

What a comment this is. Staggering.

On 30/01/2021 at 22:58, Steero113 said:

The calls for him to be “sent back to Chelsea” are ludicrous hyperbole 

Sadly, the games are running out for Barkley and he cannot return to Chelsea quick enough.

What is staggering is how he doesn't benefit us cause of the very little he contributes, he's a mere passenger!

I don't know what England squad Dean Smith is thinking of? I've seen more effort in the under 15's!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Needs to get fitter. Needs to play deeper. He is not a 10 and hasn't been in a long time.

Needs to get on the ball. Commit people drive at them and run onto the ball. He is a bull. Instinct player. He is not intelligent. He cannot play the role.

Or...... He needs to be **** dropped and somebody more motivated plays instead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sadly, the games are running out for Barkley and he cannot return to Chelsea quick enough.

What is staggering is how he doesn't benefit us cause of the very little he contributes, he's a mere passenger!

I don't know what England squad Dean Smith is thinking of? I've seen more effort in the under 15's!

I agree, I said this week's ago and yet I got severely criticised by some.

Both he and Mcginn are currently passengers and week in week out teams play right through us.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

I've noticed a recent phenomenon that many people don't seem to distinguish between an attacking central midfielder and a 'no.10' type, which is why you get so many calls for Grealish to play in central midfield, and even some for Traore, it's almost as if some seem to think that we can afford to allow one of the midfield three to have a free role for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I agree, I said this week's ago and yet I got severely criticised by some.

Both he and Mcginn are currently passengers and week in week out teams play right through us.

I was criticised for sharing the same opinion, but none of the protagonists have commented recently 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I've noticed a recent phenomenon that many people don't seem to distinguish between an attacking central midfielder and a 'no.10' type, which is why you get so many calls for Grealish to play in central midfield, and even some for Traore, it's almost as if some seem to think that we can afford to allow one of the midfield three to have a free role for some reason.

Forget the number the main thing is for years now we have to have someone play in the grealish space

We've all seen Jack get doubled even tripled every week... Someone in claret and blue has to benefit from that, has to

The better the quality of the player in that space the better we will be as a team 

If that player is so good that the opposition can't afford to double jack then that's a benefit to jack 

Barkley flirted with being that player but post injury he's completely jumped the shark

We do need a £30m attack minded midfielder to compliment Jack, Ross is not him 

• Like 1

He’s playing as a second striker. Is that because he’s been told to? Or is it to accommodate him not being fully fit? Or is it just laziness?

Whatever, it’s not working at the moment, but I’ll reserve judgment for a bit as I think there might be an explanation relating to the Covid break and his recent injury.

• Like 1

I thought there was progress last time. Not so much tonight. He was way off. Such a shame, as before he was injured he was absolutely excellent, and we played the best stuff we’ve played all season. I don’t blame Dean Smith for trying desperately to recreate that, and against Arsenal there were glimpses, but you have to think it’s time to try someone else. Tonight, he was an outright liability, and we can’t carry that as a team for much longer. 

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Why the constant flicks too, when you're struggling to play a simple ball, stop with the tricks, every game they dont come off.

That was my thought tonight. He struggled to control the ball and then, when he did, he often gave it away. So, don't then go trying lots of fancy flicks, just get hold of the ball and make sure you find a Villa player, if only to keep hold of possession. 

Not performed since his goal v Southampton. I'd rather see Jack play there and put El Ghazi back where he was netting from. 

• Like 1

Â