Ross Barkley

LondonLax

6 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

It'll never be as high as £30 million.... I reckon it'll be something like £15 - £20 million plus add-ons...

I recon it will be similar to Mings deal £20m rising to £25m-£28m at a push

7 minutes ago, supermon said:

Or new manager gives every player a clean slate, see how they perform in pre season and if Barkley does well I think he there is a possibility he may still stay at Chelsea

And play over mount and Havertz. Unlikely seeing as they are both like 5 years younger than Ross. 

It feels good to not need him though doesn't it?

He is a good player but can be wasteful. I'm firmly in the camp if we can get good value go ahead, if not we move on to other targets.

Barkley for me isn't good enough or consistent enough to be a huge money marquee signing.

I'm very relaxed about what the future holds in terms of Ross

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think 30m is unreasonable 

25m + addons i think will do it

I think Chelsea will want closer to £40m and that’ll mean it doesn’t happen... but who knows, all depends on their new manager.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

It feels good to not need him though doesn't it?

He is a good player but can be wasteful. I'm firmly in the camp if we can get good value go ahead, if not we move on to other targets.

Barkley for me isn't good enough or consistent enough to be a huge money marquee signing.

I'm very relaxed about what the future holds in terms of Ross

This is why it’s great as well to be bringing players like Sanson in so if we do lose Barkley and/or Douglas Luis we aren’t rebuilding from scratch.

I’m not saying he’s a replacement for either, just that it’s good forward planning whatever happens.

I thought he was really good the other night. Not at his best but still clearly closer to Grealish's level than anyone else. Where Grealish can shift the ball quickly to keep it, Barkley does the same with body positioning so challenges just bounce off him.

I'd pay the £30m for him yesterday. I think we're a completely different team with him in and the trio of him, Grealish and Traore is looking like the most potent attacking force in the PL.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I thought he was really good the other night. Not at his best but still clearly closer to Grealish's level than anyone else. Where Grealish can shift the ball quickly to keep it, Barkley does the same with body positioning so challenges just bounce off him.

I'd pay the £30m for him yesterday. I think we're a completely different team with him in and the trio of him, Grealish and Traore is looking like the most potent attacking force in the PL.

Also think that he buys Jack a bit more space as suddenly the defenders have two people to worry about.  He's always going to make touches / passes / lay offs that don't work because they are inconventional / unexpected.  But they will also sometimes unlock the defence and create a chance.  I think he and Jack could develop an incredible partnership - they just look like they are on the same wavelength and the more they play together the more those little tricks will start to come off. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Barkley is class and injuries aside we’re lucky to have him, providing he can pass a medical I see no reason not to spend £25/£30M on him.

Any signing is a risk, any signing can get injured 

Agree, I also think Watkins does better with him on the pitch as he takes defenders away from Ollie leaving him more space.

I love having Grealish, Barkley, Watkins and Traore as an attacking force with El Ghazi and Trez as good energetic subs/ alternatives (think Trez helps Cash out more than Traore  when we are playing the best attacking teams).

• Like 1

The good thing about Barkley is he has effectively been on trial this year and had already proved he is a good performer and a good fit for the squad effort / personality wise. The injury was concerning but ignoring that I would be willing to pay slightly over the odds given we know he is going to perform for us. Similar to the Mings transfer where people said it was expensive but it was worth it as we knew it was a sure thing. 

I always looked at Barkley thinking that he's a level above us and unattainable for us. We're at that level now where players of his level are attainable. Someone sort his hamstrings out. It cannot be stressed how important it is for Mings , Konsa Cash Etc etc to be playing against Barkley in training.

Before his injury Barkley was ace, recently hes been good and that's because of a few reasons, injury, coming back and Covid, if theres inconsistency it's been there in all our players since they've come back from the covid break..

It does wear you down contracting Covid, makes you feel shit it does and it goes round like wildfire, catches on faster than a brothel needs contraception.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

One thing thst frustrates me about Barkley is that he always looks for Jack even if Traore and Watkins are in better positions

I do agree, and it was noticeable against Newcastle. But there are benefits to this in that if Jack and Barkley are working their magic it’s going to draw defenders towards them/away from our other forwards which is probably why it’s no coincidence that Watkins tends to score when Barkley is playing. 

I’m sure Barkley also assisted one of Watkins goals against Arsenal.

Â