Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Probably the last big one we signed with dodgy fitness was Carew. We took the risk and he stayed largely injury free for two years before back injury kept him out for three months in 08/09 and he was more of a sub striker after that. Heskey also regularly picked up knocks every other month, nothing long term but a few weeks out at a time.

Sometimes for the better players it's something you have to do. We waited ages for Laursen to get a run of starts but it was more than worth it when it finally happened.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Probably the last big one we signed with dodgy fitness was Carew. We took the risk and he stayed largely injury free for two years before back injury kept him out for three months in 08/09 and he was more of a sub striker after that. Heskey also regularly picked up knocks every other month, nothing long term but a few weeks out at a time.

Sometimes for the better players it's something you have to do. We waited ages for Laursen to get a run of starts but it was more than worth it when it finally happened.

Mings?

• Like 2

On 02/01/2021 at 20:33, Risso said:

I saw that earlier.  Based on what he'd cost, there's no way I'd be taking the risk on him.  Great player on his day, but pointless if he's going to miss big chunks of a season injured. If I was the management team I'd be making a big effort to get Alli in.

Totally agree.

As a loan signing it's not too bad, but talk of signing him permanently with that injury CV then I think we need to steer clear.

Equally, it's a waste of a signing if the player is out injured more often than not too.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 23:46, VillaChris said:

You're right, but then there's a school of thought that says that if John Carew didn't have any fitness issues, then he'd never have ended up at Aston Villa. Same with Laursen. Tricky one with Barkley, but I guess we've got the rest of the season to see how he gets on. He's undoubtedly an excellent player, and when he's fit he makes us one of the best 4 teams in the Premier League in my opinion. Jack gives most teams enough to worry about, but when you introduce Barkley it can be brutal, as Liverpool found out. I love him as a player, but he needs to proves he's not going to miss half of every season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think signing Barkley full time is important for our progression as that's the sort of statement signing we always tend to shy away from and didn't really do much of under Lerner when we were splashing loads e.g. the sort of been there done it international player that will get others of that ilk interested, not far off what Spurs did when they signed Van Der Vaart about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 21:46, KentVillan said:

There's nothing wrong with signing an injury-prone player if you pay the right price and have good cover for their position.

Recurrent hamstring injuries can destroy careers, so a lot depends on how well he's being managed here, and what the doctors think. If he manages to deliver 20 brilliant performances a season for the next 3 years, then could be worth the gamble, as he clearly takes so much of the pressure off Jack.

Completely agree, Martin Laursen says Hi. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 21:46, KentVillan said:

There's nothing wrong with signing an injury-prone player if you pay the right price and have good cover for their position.

Recurrent hamstring injuries can destroy careers, so a lot depends on how well he's being managed here, and what the doctors think. If he manages to deliver 20 brilliant performances a season for the next 3 years, then could be worth the gamble, as he clearly takes so much of the pressure off Jack.

Great post. 

Barkley would be an important signing for us Inn particular as Jack clearly has a connection there and it's working well on and off the pitch. 

Truth be told if Ross was performing the way he has done for us so far this season for 38 League games a year and cup runs, he wouldn't be with us. The inconsistency and potential to miss games is why he's here. If we can get him consistent and as you say manage his game time, he'll be a big player for us.

Not to mention that gives 10-15 games a year to bring through the Ramsey's and (hopefully) Olise 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I honestly think his footballing IQ is not what Smith wants long term anyway. 

Why do you say that? Barkley is up there with Grealish in terms of technique and ability. Has way more in his locker than Hourihane and  is our 2nd best outfield player IMO. He has the vision & skill and individual brilliance to pull of the that killer pass, find spaces or go past someone.

The way Jack & Barkley destroyed Liverpool is exactly what Smith wants long term - injuries & fee will decide. And I agree, it’s not the end of the world if we don’t, as it would be for the right reasons I’m sure. No need to do any thing with it in January and let’s see in the summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Why do you say that? Barkley is up there with Grealish in terms of technique and ability. Has way more in his locker than Hourihane and  is our 2nd best outfield player IMO. He has the vision & skill and individual brilliance to pull of the that killer pass, find spaces or go past someone.

The way Jack & Barkley destroyed Liverpool is exactly what Smith wants long term - injuries & fee will decide. And I agree, it’s not the end of the world if we don’t, as it would be for the right reasons I’m sure. No need to do any thing with it in January and let’s see in the summer. 

I don't know. Ignore me

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The season isn't finished, why are we speculating whether we should or shouldn't sign this guy?

Came here to say exactly this. If he plays every league game for the remainder of the season and keeps up the same standard we'll all be desperate for him to stay. No point in getting carried away because he's missed a little over a month of a crazily taxing schedule.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AV82 said:

The season isn't finished, why are we speculating whether we should or shouldn't sign this guy?

I guess because of the time he has missed and the rumours of potential signing who could play at 10.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â