Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

12 minutes ago, deeps said:

Like it or not, they’ve delivered (the owners). Would not shock me if they give a push for a 3rd promotion next or the following season. 

I think they will get to the Championship relatively quickly. The next step to Premier League is pretty huge though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deeps said:

Like it or not, they’ve delivered (the owners). Would not shock me if they give a push for a 3rd promotion next or the following season. 

It'd be a shock if they didn't.  They're basically fully geared up to be a Championship side; and then it becomes more of a challenge to be top half etc

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It'd be a shock if they didn't.  They're basically fully geared up to be a Championship side; and then it becomes more of a challenge to be top half etc

They already have a comparable turnover to several Championship clubs. That will only rise in the next few years with larger sponsorships and documentaries etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the first two new episodes. Had forgotten just how often Phil Parkinson drops F bombs (sorry, don’t know if there are profanity prohibitions here) 🤣 No one, not even Oliver Reed, could survive a drinking game in which a shot is consumed every time he says f#ck 

• 2 weeks later...

The new series is hilarous. The latest episode with the sing along at the start i was cracking up.

Blose are going to get their biggest ever tv exposure next season when they will be on documentary 😂

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The new series is hilarous. The latest episode with the sing along at the start i was cracking up.

Blose are going to get their biggest ever tv exposure next season when they will be on documentary 😂

They were quite open in their intent to make it to The Premier League though. 

That should piss a lot of people off. 

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They were quite open in their intent to make it to The Premier League though. 

That should piss a lot of people off. 

Why?  Surely that’s the aim for all clubs, especially a club owned by celebrities. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Love how they managed to incorporate deadpool in the series

Wiuldnt suprise me if wrexham featured in one of reynolds films or this one. That would really get wrexham some real exposure 

I'm surprised people are still watching. Season one had novelty value but was very light on actual football compared to other documentaries. 

55 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm surprised people are still watching. Season one had novelty value but was very light on actual football compared to other documentaries. 

You're missing the point entirely. It's not really about the football. It's about people's stories and how a football club is intertwined with its location. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

You're missing the point entirely. It's not really about the football. It's about people's stories and how a football club is intertwined with its location. 

No, I got the point, as I said it was novel (if very heavy handed and pure marketing spin) for one season. That novelty quickly wore off and there wasn't enough there to hold interest for me. If you like it though then great.

• Like 1

I started it after reading about it in this thread. A season and a half in, it's decent, nothing special. It seems to skirt around being an advert for Ryan & Rob and then switching to the club and the location. I've enjoyed it but I'm still not entirely sure what the brief was at the start. Every episode just feels a little bit confused compared to the last.

And, as a sceptic, and I hope I'm wrong, I can't really see what the end game will be for anyone involved, and that usually ends in tears.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 27/05/2024 at 14:07, Rds1983 said:

That's why it works; football is a "side plot". We all know what happened - I'm not gonna get excited about results that happened 12 months ago.

Some documentaries which rely too heavily on football miss the point. It's like watching yesterday's weather forecast. 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2024 at 14:07, Rds1983 said:

Its a great show - im suprised you are critical. If you watch the last episode they do a tribute for a wrexham fan that is 100 years old. Its far bettee than the spurs arsenal and city documentaries in my opinion.

Reynolds and his partner really do now how to make a great documentary and help their local community 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/05/2024 at 15:04, sidcow said:

As all the good ones are, like Sunderland til I die. 

On 18/05/2024 at 10:08, Demitri_C said:

For years I waited for Villa to get a mention in Ted Lasso. We were finally mentioned in the last season, just saying they beat us 3-0. I can kind of see why more focus was put on Chelsea, Man City, etc in actual "game footage" in that show.

Nobody gives a damn about Wrexham's results against Birmingham City for a storytelling perspective.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â