Wrexham AFC - Ryan Reynolds/Rob McElhenney

Wezbid

22 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Ryan would surely be in it for the money and as a neat little hobby. I’m not sure what his ownership stake is but higher than Rob I would think given their interplay in the series. 

Rob, I’m not so sure it’s about the money for him. Have family from the Philadelphia area and they are die hard fans. He might actually be in it for the long haul. 

Tbf I think you can get money and then buy a football team, but I'm not sure it works the other way round. Especially at that level. No one ever made a fortune from owning a football team. It's a financial black hole.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Tbf I think you can get money and then buy a football team, but I'm not sure it works the other way round. Especially at that level. No one ever made a fortune from owning a football team. It's a financial black hole.

Yes and no, down at the lower reaches you’re not going to be able to just buy and flip a football club for profit.

But at the other end, it’s been well documented that the Glazers are taking money out of United (and that’s not the reasons they’ve turned shite, despite what the hardcore green and yellow scarf wearing brigade tell you) and now we have an influx of private equity investment groups buying into football (most notably Chelsea) so it must still be seen as as a money making vehicle, at least at the top end.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yes and no, down at the lower reaches you’re not going to be able to just buy and flip a football club for profit.

But at the other end, it’s been well documented that the Glazers are taking money out of United (and that’s not the reasons they’ve turned shite, despite what the hardcore green and yellow scarf wearing brigade tell you) and now we have an influx of private equity investment groups buying into football (most notably Chelsea) so it must still be seen as as a money making vehicle, at least at the top end.

They've also had to put 20m in to renovate a stand, though at Wrexham. No way they are getting that back anytime soon. Each time you go up you have to spend bigger and bigger money to get players to compete. Unless you are Brentford who produce prodigious talent every year and sell for profit, I don't see it as a big earner. 

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If you can buy the club for a few million whilst convincing Amazon to make a documentary on it and pay you for starring in that documentary as you're a mega celebrity. Then get the club promoted a few times based off increased commercial revenue from global advertisers like TikTok who want to use your celebrity. Whilst also using the club to advertise the other products you own. Then sell the club in the Championship with a now global following and recognised brand then I reckon you can male quite a lot of money from flipping the club.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

They've also had to put 20m in to renovate a stand, though at Wrexham. No way they are getting that back anytime soon. Each time you go up you have to spend bigger and bigger money to get players to compete. Unless you are Brentford who produce prodigious talent every year and sell for profit, I don't see it as a big earner. 

The local council have paid for that not the owners:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenney-given-26732866

"The plans to build a new Kop stand at the famous home of Wrexham AFC the Racecourse Ground has been given a huge boost. Wrexham council have pledged a whopping £25 million through a Welsh Government grant towards the plans."

They've already broken transfer records and are building a league one/championship club already. Teams (see Argyle) have been promoted from L2 to Championship in a few years having a transfer record under £1m.

They will make money off the ownership. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenney-given-26732866

"The plans to build a new Kop stand at the famous home of Wrexham AFC the Racecourse Ground has been given a huge boost. Wrexham council have pledged a whopping £25 million through a Welsh Government grant towards the plans."

They've already broken transfer records and are building a league one/championship club already. Teams (see Argyle) have been promoted from L2 to Championship in a few years having a transfer record under £1m.

Wrexham taking the Real Madrid public cash route to finance.

Good if you can get it :lol:

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Wrexham taking the Real Madrid public cash route to finance.

Good if you can get it :lol:

Real Madrid are seen as some cultural representation of Spain on the world stage so the government are let's say sympathetic to them. Maybe Wrexham are the same with the Welsh government?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Didn't the first episode of this season on Welcome to Wrexham indicate that they didn't get the grant?

35 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Didn't the first episode of this season on Welcome to Wrexham indicate that they didn't get the grant?

The Athletic article said that they are going to divert some of the Wrexham General Station fund to the Kop end instead.

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Real Madrid are seen as some cultural representation of Spain on the world stage so the government are let's say sympathetic to them. Maybe Wrexham are the same with the Welsh government?

The improvements are supposed to bring the ground up to a standard to be able to host Wales international matches again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

it must still be seen as as a money making vehicle, at least at the top end.

Maybe, maybe not. I think for some of these owners it's got just as much if not more to do with the action of competing against other rich guys and the status symbolism that comes with owning a famous old football club. It's a gamble they're willing to take with the massive funds at their disposal. 

17 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

As sad as this sounds - some councillor would happily sanction the 20million of the publics money, so long as him and his daughter can get a selfie with Deadpool. 

14 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The improvements are supposed to bring the ground up to a standard to be able to host Wales international matches again.

That's all well and good but if I'm Robert Rugby and don't give two shites about football I'm not going to benefit from a international grade football stadium. You could argue the local economy will improve etc which will benefit small business owners directly. If it had a bar or restaurant or gym etc open to the public as part of the construction it would be a lot more justifiable 

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

That's all well and good but if I'm Robert Rugby and don't give two shites about football I'm not going to benefit from an international grade football stadium. You could argue the local economy will improve etc which will benefit small business owners directly. If it had a bar or restaurant or gym etc open to the public as part of the construction it would be a lot more justifiable 

I haven’t looked in any detail at the proposal or the funding justification from the Welsh government but if you are dissatisfied with their spending you should consider that the next time you are voting in Welsh elections 😁

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â