Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

On 01/02/2021 at 18:11, Lord Willard said:

West Ham H

Arsenal H

Brighton A

Leeds A

Leicester  H 

February is a massive month. 4/5 are 6 pointers. 

Revenge on Brighton, WHU and Leeds would be nice! Especially dirty fecking Leeds!!

The double over Arsenal and Leicester would also be nice!

Just the 15 points I don't ask for much in life!

• Like 3

Didn’t see the game but I heard the ref and VAR had a shocker and seemed to do everything in their power to make sure it ended 9-0. Also due to Southampton losing by 9 last season a lot of in play 9-0 bets were placed. Something stinks. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

The red card was very obvious so they were always going to lose big given it was so early on.

Dosen't really bother me, we have little chance of finishing above Man. United who for all their flaws are on 44 points but we have plenty of chance of finishing above Southampton so good result.

Don't mind if the top 4 start pulling away now. Not much chance of finishing above any of them but likes of Everton, Spurs and Chelsea don't scare much anywhere near as much so we can have a good go at finishing above two of them I reckon.

The mindset from us in neutral games really has to be for any of top 4 or bottom half to beat teams in 6-11th who aren't us. That's why I didn't really get whoever it was the other day massively disappointed Newcastle beat Everton as surely that's a brilliant result for us?!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t see the game but I heard the ref and VAR had a shocker and seemed to do everything in their power to make sure it ended 9-0. Also due to Southampton losing by 9 last season a lot of in play 9-0 bets were placed. Something stinks. 

I watched the game.  I didn’t think the ref or VAR had a bad game to be honest.  

I thought actually Man U were unlucky not to get the Cavani penalty to be honest but the other decisions were ok.

The Che Adams goal was similar to the onside/offside hairs breath we’ve seen lately so could’ve gone either way but on the whole the ref and VAR was no worse than average.

Unless were throwing the game to get to 9-0 at the end there was nothing I saw there that the refs or VAR could influence the final part to get 9-0 score line, only Southampton really could’ve fixed that at the end IMO.  

Think people might just be betting for the coincidence of fate than anything dodgy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That was the prevailing hypothesis for our failure, sure. But it never sat right with me, particularly as I looked around the leagues and saw plenty of teams who didn't rotate as heavily as it was suggested we needed to doing perfectly well. I mean, how often did Chelsea rest Frank Lampard or Didier Drogba? Lot's of teams and players managed to win titles alongside long cup runs across the continent playing 50+ games a season. Our lot only have 38 to worry about.

Sports science is complicated and it has moved on leaps and bounds in the last decade. It could well be that those O'Neill teams simply weren't fit enough to do what he asked of them. It might be that this Dean Smith side isn't either, it's certainly a gamble, but I would hope it's a measured one. 

Saturday was the only important day for Mon , the players more or less played 5 a side and enjoyed themselves during the week, as you say sports science and training has moved on alot from those days , and to be fair the player here look twice as fit as they where last season Matt Targett in particular he was always gassing and picking up niggles last season totally  different now

• Like 1

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Southampton is a weird team 

I respect them as a club. They are smartly run and deserve more glory than they've had, but they need to keep more of the good players they develop in order to do that.

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I respect them as a club. They are smartly run and deserve more glory than they've had, but they need to keep more of the good players they develop in order to do that.

Losing 9-0 2 seasons in a row is what i was getting at.

Has that ever been achived before?

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's weird, they were definitely better than us the other day but awful against Man U even taking into consideration.  I know they were a few more players down against Man U than when they played us but anybody know how many?  Also has Ings lost his interest? I know there are rumours he's leaving at the end of the season but has his head gone now already or am I seeing things?

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It's weird, they were definitely better than us the other day but awful against Man U even taking into consideration.  I know they were a few more players down against Man U than when they played us but anybody know how many?  Also has Ings lost his interest? I know there are rumours he's leaving at the end of the season but has his head gone now already or am I seeing things?

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/cfni.gif

• Haha 1

Bad night at the office and I wonder if the glut of games plus several players recovering from Covid is to blame. It didn't help to play in form West Ham, but still. The team looks tired.

Yeah, I’m starting to think we might not win the league now. Which is fine, it was never an expectation. I don’t expect us to finish top 6, nice as that would be. Top ten should be achievable though, and I’d be happy with that, I’d consider it a good season that we can build on again. 

I hope we don’t give up and keep pushing though, while there’s still a chance anything’s possible. Even after some shaky form we still sit in 9th with 2 games in hand. Win those and on current points we’d be 5th. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â