Playstation 5

villarule123

I know this might be a stupid question but I was wondering about the audio from the PS5.  They mention this Pulse headset is used for spacial audio, so does that mean anyone using just the TV speakers or a theatre kit won't get the full audio experience?

7 hours ago, dubbs said:

I know this might be a stupid question but I was wondering about the audio from the PS5.  They mention this Pulse headset is used for spacial audio, so does that mean anyone using just the TV speakers or a theatre kit won't get the full audio experience?

The PS5 supports something called HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function) and it basically tries to shape the audio in a way that best fits certain ear types. Every person has a HRTF range that is unique to them, it's as unique as a finger print. What PS5 will do is have a series of preset HRTF profiles and the player can find the one that best fits them and sounds best for them. This does mean that PS5 games may sound better for some people on a good pair of headphones, not necessarily the Pulse headphones, but a good set of headphones with the right HRTF setting will be an incredible experience.  

That said I don't think any of this stuff will impact those using TV speakers, or a home theatre setup. PS5 is a system that will be used in a multitude of setups and it will work well in all of them. I wouldn't be too concerned about using a PS5 via TV speakers/home theatre, I am sure it will sound fantastic. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dubbs said:

Just think it's a bad decision not to have Dolby Atmos support.

Sony went with their own custom Tempest 3D Audio solution because they wanted something that works with all stereo headphones, speakers, soundbars and sound systems. They also wanted a solution that supported hundreds of 3D audio sources within a scene for greater accuracy and immersion. Dolby Atmos only works well on Atmos certified devices and only supports 32 audio sources within a scene. It is both more restrictive and less accurate so Sony chose to go in another direction.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Sony went with their own custom Tempest 3D Audio solution because they wanted something that works with all stereo headphones, speakers, soundbars and sound systems. They also wanted a solution that supported hundreds of 3D audio sources within a scene for greater accuracy and immersion. Dolby Atmos only works well on Atmos certified devices and only supports 32 audio sources within a scene. It is both more restrictive and less accurate so Sony chose to go in another direction.

Fair enough.  I didn't know that.  Looking forward to hearing how this system is utilised.

• Like 1

I played my PS4 last night with the original one ear piece 'headseat' that came with it. It's crazy how much better it is than the one I brought.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony have finally officially confirmed that the PS5 is backwards compatible with all but 10 PS4 discs - some will get a bit of a 'boost', although they do warn that some features and unexpected errors may occur for some games. Good news for those of us who never get rid of purchased games.

Those 10 non-compatible games are;

• DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2: Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe’s Diner

Most of which I've never heard of. PS4 peripherals will also work with the PS5 for PS4 games, but not for PS5 games.

• Thanks 1

#22 in the list at Neils for my Digital console. Console and extra pad. Should get in release week, maybe not on the day (doesn't really matter).

Missus has had an email from GAME about some items releasing before the console launches,  but everything ordered will be shipped to arrive on launch day.  Sounds like we've got one 👍

54 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Missus has had an email from GAME about some items releasing before the console launches,  but everything ordered will be shipped to arrive on launch day.  Sounds like we've got one 👍

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I couldn't be any less excited about ps5..

Nothing on the menu excites me. 

I've had launch consoles for ps3/4 as well. 

weird. 

Which would you rather:

Own a PS5

Or

Watch a blouse vs Coventry reserves match.

Hope that makes you feel better!

48 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I couldn't be any less excited about ps5..

Nothing on the menu excites me. 

I've had launch consoles for ps3/4 as well. 

weird. 

Totally opposite for me.

I've had launch consoles for PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 (still all working too) and I think this is easily the most excited I've been about one.

Admittedly, the Demon Souls remake is a HUGE factor but just in general I'm really, really hyped.

To be honest, it's kinda nice to have something to look forward to after such a sodbag of a year with COVID etc.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â