Emiliano Martínez

hippo

23 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I'd love to see the stats. Wouldn't be surprised if his record wasn't  the best,  but because of those high profile saves and his known ability to get in the head of the taker, the perception/expectation is that it's  a 50:50 with him, rather  than the odds being loaded in favour of the taker, and that means he barely  has to do anything to get in the taker's head. 

12 pens out of 24 scored against him for Argentina, so 50%.

I feel its slightly less high of a percent for Villa, maybe 30 to 35% but still around 40% overall. 

Second highest top keeper must be around 20% I'd have thought. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I feel its slightly less high of a percent for Villa, maybe 30 to 35% but still around 40% overall. 

Ha, so it really is a coin toss for the taker

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

At the weekend the commentators said he had saved 4 of 21 penalties for villa. 

Was thinking about this and for villa, I could only recall the Sheff United save in his first game, the Fulham game and a few in the shoot out last season. 

Just had expected the numbers to be better.

13 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Was thinking about this and for villa, I could only recall the Sheff United save in his first game, the Fulham game and a few in the shoot out last season. 

Does that include misses, like when he got in Fernandes head over Ronaldo not taking the penalty?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yes I wasn't just talking saves. Like the Fernandes one is arguably down to Martinez intimidating him, Fernandes doesn't often sky penalties. 

Will prob be about 35% to 40% that don't go in. 

I'd imagine way better than next best keeper, not sure who that would be. 

16 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Yes I wasn't just talking saves. Like the Fernandes one is arguably down to Martinez intimidating him, Fernandes doesn't often sky penalties. 

Will prob be about 35% to 40% that don't go in. 

I'd imagine way better than next best keeper, not sure who that would be. 

Other than the Fernandes one, can you think of others?

Ive been looking through some stats and i dont think its perhaps as many as we think (and i say this from the perspective of also thinking his record was much stronger).

stats here

43 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Other than the Fernandes one, can you think of others?

Ive been looking through some stats and i dont think its perhaps as many as we think (and i say this from the perspective of also thinking his record was much stronger).

stats here

No, i mean that's probably about right. I had it in my head as about 6 or 7 out of about 20 for Villa, but 5 makes sense.

So about 17 out of 45 for Villa and Argentina, so about 35 to 40%.

My point is psychologically as a penalty taker you generally come up against a goalkeeper who keeps out 1 in 10, and you as a penalty taker score 9 in 10.

If you come up against a goalkeeper who keeps out 4 in 10, it'll make you do things you probably wouldn't typically do. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

No, i mean that's probably about right. I had it in my head as about 6 or 7 out of about 20 for Villa, but 5 makes sense.

So about 17 out of 45 for Villa and Argentina, so about 35 to 40%.

My point is psychologically as a penalty taker you generally come up against a goalkeeper who keeps out 1 in 10, and you as a penalty taker score 9 in 10.

If you come up against a goalkeeper who keeps out 4 in 10, it'll make you do things you probably wouldn't typically do. 

Your point is valid, even if the league stats dont quite back it up, our perception is that hes exception and that will also likely be the penalty takers perception. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â