Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Anyone have or seen any of the stats to back up he is the best goalkeeper for penalties, whether currently or of all time?

I'd imagine he's at about 35-40% of penalties he's faced don't lead to goals. Particularly given all his shootout heroics. Would have to be for keepers that have faced 25 or more penalties or something. 

4 minutes ago, Colin79 said:

That was a poor penalty, but I think we’re now at the stage where his reputation precedes him and gets in the head of the striker. 

His record is just ridiculous. 

100%.  But I don't think it is just penalties, the same applies to 1 on 1's.  The attacker pretty much knows that they have to apply a perfect finish to beat Emi and so over-think it / try and aim for the corner too hard and consequently are more likely to put it wide and / or make a hash of it.  I can't quite remember who it was (maybe Lineker or Shearer) but someone was talking about their record against a certain keeper and how few goals they scored against them considering the number of matches played / their record against most other keepers and they admitted that that specific keeper intimidated them because they were so good that they were trying to be too precise and kept missing - they even missed an absolute sitter of an (almost) open goal from about 6 yards out because they tried to glance it into the far corner as they were convinced that if they just stroked it into the centre of the goal that the keeper would dive across and save it.  They then said that they watched the reply back having used this as an excuse and then saw that at the time the keeper was actually already lying on the ground having tried to save a previous shot or to stop the cross.  Just completely got in their head and made them panic!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's only a poor penalty because Emi doesn't fall for the dummy, he stays big and doesn't go until the last second, which is perfect for those type of stop/start penalties, because they rely on the keeper going early.

Great save.

I kind of agree and don't.  A good penalty should really go in even if the keeper guesses / goes the right way.  If all you are banking on is sending the keeper the wrong way then it's not a good penalty whether you score or not.  No doubt if Emi had gone the wrong way someone would have said "good penalty, he sent the keeper the wrong way" but the reality is that it was far too central with far too little pace on it and so once Emi was going the right way it became a comfortable save. 

Sometimes there is enough "deception" in the kick that that rule wouldn't apply - Totti (for example) scored a few chips that left the keeper sprawling on the ground like an upside down beetle watching the ball drift gently over his head.

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Mbuemo scored similar penalty the other week I think. Sick of those BS run ups. Thought they were called up in the past

Apparently as long as you don't stop moving it is fine - although a few get very, very close to actually stopping (I don't think that striding in and then "stopping" and slowly moving one leg should count as a continuous run up).  It's ridiculous when someone does that - the keeper moves in response but saves the penalty and then the referee orders a retake because the keeper moved.  If you're going to do a bs run up then that's your lose in my opinion.  Maybe they should just say that once the forward starts his run up the keeper is free to move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin79 said:

That was a poor penalty, but I think we’re now at the stage where his reputation precedes him and gets in the head of the striker. 

Yep. His mere presence alone gives us a psychological edge.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yep. His mere presence alone gives us a psychological edge.

Both ways.  In a penalty shoot out - there is more pressure on the opposition players because they'll know how good Emi is in those situations and there's less pressure on our players because you kind of expect Emi to save at least 1, maybe 2 and so if you miss it isn't necessarily going to be critical.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2024 at 16:12, smg said:

Carragher chatting sh*t on Sky saying most people see Allison as the best goalkeeper in the world. No bias there eh Jamie. (T**t)

Who tf is "most people"? Most people,  who are Liverpool fans?

Makes you laugh tbh, the best goal keeping performance in a world cup final,  ever, he won it for them basically yet it's just ignored because Alison was great against Manure in random premier league game.

• Like 1

The guy is a legend. I work in London and yesterday I was getting a coffee at work using my new Aston Villa cup for being a villa member. The barista is Argentinian and instantly said this is dibu’s team and said that I’m Argentina many think he is as important as Messi to Argentina winning the world cup

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

If I didn’t think I could love him any more, his answer to the question “what would you do if you weren’t a footballer” was outstanding. 

Uhhh… Fishmonger! 

😂

He's  clearly been reading VT and is playing to the  gallery

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/10/2024 at 10:06, Colin79 said:

I'd love to see the stats. Wouldn't be surprised if his record wasn't  the best,  but because of those high profile saves and his known ability to get in the head of the taker, the perception/expectation is that it's  a 50:50 with him, rather  than the odds being loaded in favour of the taker, and that means he barely  has to do anything to get in the taker's head. 

• Like 2

Off the top of my head for Villa I remember his debut save. Bruno skying it and save on the weekend. Plus the shootout v Lille.  There's also a couple I remember when he saved it but they scored the rebound, think it was against Palace and Arsenal.

Im sure there's more. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â