Emiliano Martínez

hippo

33 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Really touching to hear Emi extolling the virtues of the club and the fans. Let's not forget, it's a two - way street, without co.ing to us, he arguably wouldn't be the goalie he is today.

Yeah I absolutely disagree with the second part of your statement. Yes we took a chance and gave him a wonderful opportunity. However, he’s clearly exceptionally talented and would’ve been just as good wherever he went.

10 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah I absolutely disagree with the second part of your statement. Yes we took a chance and gave him a wonderful opportunity. However, he’s clearly exceptionally talented and would’ve been just as good wherever he went.

Who else came in for him, if it hadn't have been us, then maybe Palace or a team that eventually got relegated, whose to say he would have got a call up to the national side with another team aside from us. I think that's part of his affection for us, this is the club where he became one of the best keeper's in the World, before that he couldn't even be promised a start at Arsenal, hence, the decision to leave.

Edited by sheepyvillian

15 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I know Kane was offside but that foot save with just five minutes on the clock was sensational. Impeccable reflexes and making his body as large as possible to block it. 

I put my hatred of Ben Foster aside a few weeks back and listened to his interview with Emi

Emi (and Neil Cutler) said that he'd focused a lot in training on standing up as long as possible. Keepers will often go down early or try and guess which way the header is going to go in those situations.
Emi said he was really working on standing up until the very last second and resisting that temptation to guess

That save was an absolute prime example of the benefits of that. That's the only reason he saves it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I put my hatred of Ben Foster aside a few weeks back and listened to his interview with Emi

Emi (and Neil Cutler) said that he'd focused a lot in training on standing up as long as possible. Keepers will often go down early or try and guess which way the header is going to go in those situations.
Emi said he was really working on standing up until the very last second and resisting that temptation to guess

That save was an absolute prime example of the benefits of that. That's the only reason he saves it

Best in the business at it. He made a big one recently in the league that I wasn't even bothered when the attacker was through

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not intentionally being pedantic but... Whilst going to any club would've allowed him to play, he had multiple loans over the years (best may have been a spell at Reading where he began to progress) and it didn't click, I think his time with Neil Cutler is where it all fell into place and for that reason, Villa helped make him what he is and he's helped make us what we are.

Surprised we didn't keep Cutler to continue working with him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's the new Schmeichel 

15 minutes ago, GrootVilla said:

He's the new Schmeichel 

Whilst Schmeichel is an icon, he was never world class.

He could never set a wall up to save his life.

He was an absolute elite level shot stopper though.

Emi is better.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Best in the business at it. He made a big one recently in the league that I wasn't even bothered when the attacker was through

I thought much the same against Bayern.  The curling shot he tipped over the bar - the commentators were going nuts over what a great save it was, I was thinking Emi saves that 99 times out of a 100 and he's really peeved the time he misses it.  Same with the Kane header.  It wasn't until I saw the replay that I realised how good a save it really was.  First time round and full speed it seemed like bread and butter for Emi.  But I guess that just shows how elite he is - when very good / great saves just look normal.

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He is the best goalkeeper in the world. 

Have we ever had another goalie who we could have claimed that about? 

No. 

Ergo, he is the best Villa goalie ever. 

Arguably Sam Hardy but I get your point. He's certainly the best of the Villa keepers I have personally seen. My favourite was always Jimmy Rimmer but finally another keeper has come along that ends the debate. Just needs to win something with us now!

Best keeper in the world and our best keeper ever. Everything about him inspires confidence in the defense, they way he holds onto the ball, his presence in the box for set pieces,  how he comes out when needed to sweep up, he just does everything very well. 

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He is the best goalkeeper in the world. 

Have we ever had another goalie who we could have claimed that about? 

No. 

Ergo, he is the best Villa goalie ever. 

As a pedant, he could be the best goalie in the world, and the only goalie we’ve ever been able to claim that about, but still not be the best Villa goalie ever.

However I agree with you on both :)

41 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Whilst Schmeichel is an icon, he was never world class

Off topic but I’d still say Schmeichel is the only keeper I’ve seen who was favourite in a one on one situation. But Emi is very close to that claim too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â