Emiliano Martínez

hippo

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not his best game. Second goal particularly I think he should have claimed. 

Thankfully it didn’t matter today

I felt both Arsenal goals the other week were poor too, has had a bit of a slow start to the season but hopefully just a blip.

Not going to criticise emi to much because he is clearly class but just watching the game back. The first goal from my view in the upper holte looked a weak if well directed shot that I feel he could have done better with. The 2nd as the free kick is taken emi is positioned almost exactly where Calvert donkey heads the ball but he back peddled as soon as it’s kicked so I do think he is at fault for that one especially as 2nd have he was coming and claiming everything 

Think it's harsh to expect him to save the first, McNeil hit it perfectly and it's just one of those things.

Absolutely agree he could have done more for the second and he's more than capable of coming out and dealing with it. Especially when you don't have a centre back like Mings in there it should be the course of action. 

Martinez has always had a bit of a weakness from distance when shots go through players legs or a ruck of bodies. 

He even came out and admitted that was an area he wanted to improve in one of the Cutler videos.

I’m not sure on that second one that the claim / punch was such an obvious decision. It was a really wicked ball with a lot of pace on it and left-footed inswinger so would have been tougher for him to judge. Don’t know - interested in what a goalkeeping coach would say there. Have watched it a few times now and it just seems like a perfect “corridor of uncertainty” cross.

Do agree Emi hasn’t been at his best though. I never feel like his head is fully on the game after international breaks, but sure he will be back on it soon.

Just now, KentVillan said:

I’m not sure on that second one that the claim / punch was such an obvious decision. It was a really wicked ball with a lot of pace on it and left-footed inswinger so would have been tougher for him to judge. Don’t know - interested in what a goalkeeping coach would say there. Have watched it a few times now and it just seems like a perfect “corridor of uncertainty” cross.

Do agree Emi hasn’t been at his best though. I never feel like his head is fully on the game after international breaks, but sure he will be back on it soon.

(Former) goalkeeping coach here. He should have claimed it

• Like 2

Looked hesitant on the second goal. Starting position seems ok and looks like he was in a good position to come claim/punch, but then not sure if he misjudges the flight of the ball and thinks it's coming in lower than it was cos he starts stepping back and then it's a free header from 5 yards. Not a complete howler, but you want/need your keeper to be coming and taking everything there. Especially the world's number 1. 

To be fair we do miss big T's presence in situations like that.

23 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Think it's harsh to expect him to save the first, McNeil hit it perfectly and it's just one of those things.

Absolutely agree he could have done more for the second and he's more than capable of coming out and dealing with it. Especially when you don't have a centre back like Mings in there it should be the course of action. 

I also think it's harsh.

My main issue is that if the likes of Olsen conceded the exact same goals there would be meltdown.

I often point out that the rest of the team hold a big responsibility in the goals we concede.

Sometimes it doesn't matter who the keeper is.

All Emi usually does at his best is keep out goals which would have normally been goals if it were a keeper not as elite as him.

Defence and Dms/Midfield are absolved of all responsibility when it isn't Emi in goal due to favouritism though.

I’d love to see him come and catch the free kick on the second goal but in the modern game I can’t think of a single PL keeper who does that as much as him so tough to complain on the ones he decides he can’t make.

• Like 1

I think for the first goal, the shot from from McNeill went through Konsa's legs which probably didn't help Emi. The second maybe he could and should have come for that one, it was a decent delivery into the box and I guess it was played into that channel of doubt between a defender and goalkeeper as to who deals with it.

Probably wrong but I still think the new technology flags the shoulder offside.

Either way I think Emi could have done better with the goals but he's positioning was very good when DCL was through at 2-1 and also did well to claim some crosses when they started swinging balls in later on.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Fair enough, you know better. Why do you think he back pedalled suddenly? Just misread the flight? It was a really odd passage of play

I think he was probably unsighted. The sun was coming from that direction so probably just couldn't see it.

If you look at his starting position it's basically where DCL headed it from, so it's perfectly reasonable to expect your keeper to claim it there.

Not a howler by any stretch, but one you'd usually expect Emi to deal with

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â