Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

EM23 has a ring to it when you say it out loud. 

nice bit of personal branding 

I absolutely believe him when he says it’s his lucky number and wants to have that luck with us but I also think the branding opportunities of being EM23 for club and country will be personally very good for him.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 3

Trying not to think he now sounds like a motorway… 

I love him to bits though, he can call himself anything he wants. I seriously believe we will win a trophy in his time here. 

Edited by It's Your Round

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Trying not to think he now sounds like a motorway… 

I love him to bits though, he can call himself anything he wants. I seriously believe we will win a trophy in his time here. 

I'm a believer mate.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Best player to ever play for the club in his position? 

World cup winner, 2 time Copa America winner, you could make a case he's the best keeper to ever play for his country, let alone for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Adore him. When you remember we have Unai, Emi and Watkins… all fears are allayed.

If Bailey keeps his levels up… he is in that bracket too. Top class.

Konsa and Pau will keep improving along with the others… Onana - think he will be a big player and key figure for us. We will see a better Tielemans…

McGinn has been immense ever since Unai arrived.

The protection and assurance big Emi gives us is MASSIVE. Such big and positive influence and inspiration.

Emi is the difference between 4th and 7th 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

World cup winner, 2 time Copa America winner, you could make a case he's the best keeper to ever play for his country, let alone for us.

Like Robin Olsen.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t have much of a clue about this stuff, how it works and benefits the club but…

tbf, we should maximise all commercial opportunities with Emi and his link with the club. Adidas, world’s best goalkeeper, adored and excels for Argentina, Messi’s best mate (and saviour 😆), won the World Cup and Copa twice… has helped take us into the Champions League, loves the club.  We have a “global superstar” here.

spacer.png

Is that a safe behind him? A "safe" pair of hands in goal? If so, genius!

Some unbelievable stats (he's still getting better)

Since making his Villa debut in September 2020, Martinez has missed just eight of 152 Premier League games, and they looked considerably less comfortable when they did not have him between the sticks. They lost six of those eight matches, conceding an average of 2.5 goals compared to just 1.3 when the Argentine was playing.

While shot-stopping has never really been a concern when it comes to Martinez, he still upped his game last season, preventing 8.4 Premier League goals according to Opta’s expected goals on target (xGOT) model, more than doubling his previous best performance in a Villa shirt (4.0 in 2020-21).

He is also one of the more reliable goalkeepers when it comes to using his feet – his passing accuracy of 81.4% was the sixth best among Premier League goalkeepers, and he made the third-most successful passes (1,035), behind only Guglielmo Vicario (1,148) and Bernd Leno (1,086).

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/08/aston-villa-2024-25-preview-five-key-questions/ 

Was personally surprised on the penalty, all Paqueta’s pens have gone where he scored (according to the graphic on tv), thought Emi would know that. 

Still made some good saves as always. He’s such a force in our team 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was personally surprised on the penalty, all Paqueta’s pens have gone where he scored (according to the graphic on tv), thought Emi would know that. 

Might have been expecting the change in direction. There's a whole host of things he has to consider. Maybe he knows his run up and Paqueta altered it so Emi was expecting something different. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It was the opposite. All of his penalties have gone the other way, ie the way Emi dived

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â