Emiliano Martínez

hippo

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Depends how much abuse he's getting in the first place.

To some extent, I agree - but I can't imagine he gets more/less abuse from fans than most other players.  The Lille stuff probably was given the France/Argentina World Cup final.  But that video on the previous page... he runs the length of the pitch to wind up Chile fans at the end of a game; why?  What's the actual point?

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

If fans get wound up by him then they are self-indulgent, entitled, over-sensitive snowflakes and they deserve it. 

Fans are this - we see plenty of examples on here :D 

I imagine there'd be a strong dislike of him from "us" if he played for any other club.  

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To some extent, I agree - but I can't imagine he gets more/less abuse from fans than most other players.  The Lille stuff probably was given the France/Argentina World Cup final.  But that video on the previous page... he runs the length of the pitch to wind up Chile fans at the end of a game; why?  What's the actual point?

Fans are this - we see plenty of examples on here :D 

I imagine there'd be a strong dislike of him from "us" if he played for any other club.  

Haha I was channelling broader football fan frustration! 

On 26/06/2024 at 07:04, Jas10 said:

Sometimes, I wish he’d tone it down a little or ignore the noise/provocation… starting to worry about his safety,

I used to work with a chap from Chile, smashing bloke but they do not like the Argies. He was probably getting pelters when he was down that end. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

but if you're taking 1993 as his best season you're then also talking maldini, baresi, koeman, desailly  etc 

In 1993, Maldini was still playing at left back and Desailly was still playing in midfield. I would not put Koeman at McGrath's level as defender (nor Jurgen Kohler), even if his free kick ability brought something to the table that McGrath didn't have. Baresi, that's some serious competition. No question in my mind that Baresi and McGrath were the two best CBs in the world at that point.

It's hard to compare Emi's reputation now to McGrath's then. With the Internet and the ability to watch almost any league almost anywhere in the world, reputations travel further and faster now. Baresi certainly had a bigger reputation in my mind than McGrath, but then, that was the peak of Serie A, and he played for a national team with more exposure (McGrath's famous display at WC 1994 hadn't happened yet in 1993).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomC said:

In 1993, Maldini was still playing at left back and Desailly was still playing in midfield. I would not put Koeman at McGrath's level as defender (nor Jurgen Kohler), even if his free kick ability brought something to the table that McGrath didn't have. Baresi, that's some serious competition. No question in my mind that Baresi and McGrath were the two best CBs in the world at that point.

It's hard to compare Emi's reputation now to McGrath's then. With the Internet and the ability to watch almost any league almost anywhere in the world, reputations travel further and faster now. Baresi certainly had a bigger reputation in my mind than McGrath, but then, that was the peak of Serie A, and he played for a national team with more exposure (McGrath's famous display at WC 1994 hadn't happened yet in 1993).

Pretty sure that Baresi himself once said something like McGrath was the best in world.

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This is going to be blasphemy for a lot of villa fans...

but if you're taking 1993 as his best season you're then also talking maldini, baresi, koeman, desailly  etc mcgrath finished 26th on the balon dor list so I'm not saying he wasn't recognised but I doubt anyone outside of villa and Ireland are shouting him up for best CB in world football, I think 99% of people at that time wouldn't be looking outside of Milan 

Emi has that recognition outside of villa 

Baresi and Baggio both thought McGrath was the best in the world in 93/94.

Plenty will tell you Emi isn’t top 5 keepers in the PL.

It’s all opinions. But yes, to me, they are the two Villa players I’ve seen and been convinced I’m watching the best in the world in their position.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Baresi and Baggio both thought McGrath was the best in the world in 93/94.

This is a slight distortion of the truth. Roberto Baggio said at the time that McGrath was one of the toughest defenders he had ever faced. Some say McGrath's performance that day has been exaggerated over the years but at the time he was given just as rave reviews.

Source = My own magazine collection. I kept all this kind of stuff. At the time I loved the fact that 4 Villa players started the game vs Italy. It was basically AC Milan vs Aston Villa 😀

abmhBIY.jpegtLmFHul.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’ve genuinely never heard that. It was astonishing to watch.

You yourself literally just posted an exaggerated quote 🤣 There was also that line at the time "three quarters of the earth is covered by water, everything else is covered by McGrath".

Sticking just to facts, "McGrath and Babb at the back made Costacurta and Baresi look ordinary" is a quote no-one would have imagined before that World Cup.

Edited by R.Bear

Â