Emiliano Martínez

hippo

On 21/06/2024 at 09:01, VillaChris said:

If Emi wins back to back Copa's then that must go down as one of the most successful international careers from someone who was in the wilderness five years ago.

Summer 2019 and he was just a reserve at Arsenal and his last cap for any Argentina group was the under 20s in 2011.

Comparable to Kante but he's been playing for France since early 2016 and as it stands only won one major tournament.

Emi is on for three from three competitions participated in. Now to do it at club level...

He has more titles (3) than losses (2) with our national team (40 games). Crazy doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Like 3

On 26/06/2024 at 06:47, villa4europe said:

said before, for me personally its the first and only time villa can actually claim that 

we have genuinely the worlds best player for his position 

I thought McGrath would be the only time I ever saw it

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I thought McGrath would be the only time I ever saw it

This is going to be blasphemy for a lot of villa fans...

but if you're taking 1993 as his best season you're then also talking maldini, baresi, koeman, desailly  etc mcgrath finished 26th on the balon dor list so I'm not saying he wasn't recognised but I doubt anyone outside of villa and Ireland are shouting him up for best CB in world football, I think 99% of people at that time wouldn't be looking outside of Milan 

Emi has that recognition outside of villa 

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but if you're taking 1993 as his best season you're then also talking maldini, baresi, koeman, desailly  etc mcgrath finished 26th on the balon dor list so I'm not saying he wasn't recognised but I doubt anyone outside of villa and Ireland are shouting him up for best CB in world football, I think 99% of people at that time wouldn't be looking outside of Milan 

*Neil Dunworth has left the chat*

• Haha 2

This all sounds very much like anti Villa media click bait to me, they’re trying to stir things up with a story that doesn’t really exist, probably fed up with nof getting anything concrete to  report from the club. Storm in a like warm tea cup on a quiet news day, they don’t like all the constant possitivity from the club, nad new sells better to the wide public, nothing to see here, move along please. UTV!!

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

This all sounds very much like anti Villa media click bait to me, they’re trying to stir things up with a story that doesn’t really exist, probably fed up with nof getting anything concrete to  report from the club. Storm in a like warm tea cup on a quiet news day, they don’t like all the constant possitivity from the club, nad new sells better to the wide public, nothing to see here, move along please. UTV!!

PS. it’s a perfect story for the media, either the club or the player isn’t happy. But they have a story that hurt’s Villa and not any of their favoured ones. You can add anti midlands/Birmingham to that agenda too, particularly the Mirror Group and the pervert hiding BBC. 🤬🤬

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Franco Baresi refused to swap jerseys with any other Irish player in 94. He was known outside UK and Ireland

How dare you! Where is the boo emoticon when you need it!  😄

To keep it on topic, I love Emi and he is easily our best goalkeeper in my lifetime and would be in my all time Villa starting eleven. Bosnich would be second place and on the substitute bench. 

What has recognition got to do with actually being the best player in the world though?

When we were in the Championship Grealish got compared to the likes of Lingard and Maddison all the time.

Just because wallies don't seen it doesn't make them right.

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What has recognition got to do with actually being the best player in the world though?

When we were in the Championship Grealish got compared to the likes of Lingard and Maddison all the time.

Just because wallies don't seen it doesn't make them right.

I mean recognition as in he won the lev yashin award (which they obviously don't have a CB version) and was the highest ranking keeper in the Balon Dor list, the FIFA award for best keeper, even the copa america best keeper award

its going to be fairly hard to contest that he is or was the best keeper in the world at a given point (although the internet being the internet people obviously will...)

as much as we all love him and rate him are we seriously saying that at a point in time Paul McGrath was generally considered the worlds best CB? ahead of the likes of the Milan Italians?

for me personally like i said Emi is the first proper out and out best player in the world in his position playing for aston villa

He's absolutely amazing, phenomenal goalkeeper and seems a lovely guy off the pitch...

...but I do wish he'd stop being such a **** clearing in the woods on it.  No problem playing mind games with opposition penalty takers, but the fan stuff is absolute nonsense.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's absolutely amazing, phenomenal goalkeeper and seems a lovely guy off the pitch...

...but I do wish he'd stop being such a **** clearing in the woods on it.  No problem playing mind games with opposition penalty takers, but the fan stuff is absolute nonsense.

Why is it nonsense?

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just being a dick, isn't it?  You don't need to wind up fans.

If fans get wound up by him then they are self-indulgent, entitled, over-sensitive snowflakes and they deserve it. 

• Like 1

Â