Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Stayed up and watched Argentina v Canada, had good game few decent saves and should have had an assist for Messi but he missed 1 on 1 with keeper 

If Emi wins back to back Copa's then that must go down as one of the most successful international careers from someone who was in the wilderness five years ago.

Summer 2019 and he was just a reserve at Arsenal and his last cap for any Argentina group was the under 20s in 2011.

Comparable to Kante but he's been playing for France since early 2016 and as it stands only won one major tournament.

Emi is on for three from three competitions participated in. Now to do it at club level...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sometimes, I wish he’d tone it down a little or ignore the noise/provocation… starting to worry about his safety,

As do I, but I think it's fair to assume that the fire inside him is what makes him the exceptional keeper he is. The self belief he has that he is the best.

Without that, he's not going to be the same brave, throw his body in the way of anything, reactions of a cat, absolute beast that he is.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth for our Emi. And let's be honest, the rough is small fry compared with the smooth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

As do I, but I think it's fair to assume that the fire inside him is what makes him the exceptional keeper he is. The self belief he has that he is the best.

Without that, he's not going to be the same brave, throw his body in the way of anything, reactions of a cat, absolute beast that he is.

Gotta take the rough with the smooth for our Emi. And let's be honest, the rough is small fry compared with the smooth. 

Oh I have no problem with his antics in-game, as regards the opposition. He has such a strong and powerful personality and it can lift the team.

But… engaging with or reacting to opposition fans doesn’t seem wise and there are som real crazy, stupid people out there… don’t wanna see a situation where someone tries to attack him etc. he should try and ignore them and not invite more heat imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Oh I have no problem with his antics in-game, as regards the opposition. He has such a strong and powerful personality and it can lift the team.

But… engaging with or reacting to opposition fans doesn’t seem wise and there are som real crazy, stupid people out there… don’t wanna see a situation where someone tries to attack him etc. he should try and ignore them and not invite more heat imo.

Yeah, I get that. But I was saying the mentality that makes him like that on the pitch, is the same one that makes him react to fans. I don't think he can switch it off without also switching off his game mode. I'm sure if he could, he would have. 

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's actually fairly measured for us.

It's playing for Argentina he becomes a maniac.

I think it's tournament football that sends him a bit over the edge. Only have to look at the penalty shootout in the conference league.  That certainly wasn't measured. 

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think it's tournament football that sends him a bit over the edge. Only have to look at the penalty shootout in the conference league.  That certainly wasn't measured. 

I thought he was pretty measured to be honest. Celebrated after, fine.

Ref was desperate to book him.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I thought he was pretty measured to be honest. Celebrated after, fine.

Ref was desperate to book him.

Oh the actual booking was a joke as by that point he was asking for a ball so we could carry on the shootout. But he should have been booked before then really.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Never change Emi! 

We should be so excited as a fan base to have the best player in world football in his position! 

said before, for me personally its the first and only time villa can actually claim that 

we have genuinely the worlds best player for his position 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Imagine him against England in a knockout game. He would love it and we probably would become the most hated team in England 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Imagine him against England in a knockout game. He would love it and we probably would become the most hated team in England 😂

If he was playing Southgate's England my loyalties might be questioned. I hate what Southgate has done to me.

You're right though, he'd be getting even more abuse in the PL if he helped them win than he does now,  but I think he'd thrive off it. 

• Thanks 1

Â