Emiliano Martínez

hippo

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

His stock will literally never be higher. He’s genuinely rated as one of the best keepers in the world right now. If we’re selling we should be looking for a world record fee for a keeper

I'd take 80mil. But would rather Martinez stay. 100mil and I'll drive him to his destination myself. 

I'm not so sure Emi is nailed on to leave this summer. If a huge offer comes in I guess it would be tempting but sure the owners and Unai would want to keep hold of him if at all possible. There aren't many clubs who could splash 60m plus on a keeper?

Also I see there are some quotes about Emi's representatives today not sure what to make of that! Could be BS to start stirring things up. Personally want him to stay and think recent criticism of him from some is very OTT. He's a great keeper and character to have at the club.

On 20/02/2023 at 13:27, Rolta said:

How have they dropped off? Before the last three games, where I can honestly blame him only for the corner goal, and when we played the two best teams back to back, he won us games making worldies...and people were saying he was back to form. 

I think his mentality has changed since Cutler left, and that has affected his decision making.

Cutler left in Oct-22. His goals against per minute is terrible compared to when he joined. Obviously i see that the whole defence is responsible for Goals Against, but numbers is numbers.

image.thumb.png.567705f3a0ec234d836ab09c70d1cfc6.png

To be honest, with those stats, I'd be looking to replace him anyway.

(Stats from FBRef).

19 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I think his mentality has changed since Cutler left, and that has affected his decision making.

Cutler left in Oct-22. His goals against per minute is terrible compared to when he joined. Obviously i see that the whole defence is responsible for Goals Against, but numbers is numbers.

image.thumb.png.567705f3a0ec234d836ab09c70d1cfc6.png

To be honest, with those stats, I'd be looking to replace him anyway.

(Stats from FBRef).

Fbref has much better stats for goalkeepers you can use. The picture they paint is that he was genuinely world class in 20/21, but was only average in 21/22. Even this season his stats are only decent.

I know we all love Emi but lets be honest, despite his international exploits, he hasn’t been an elite keeper in the league for a long while. He’s merely been alright. Not irreplaceable.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Sell.

No other keeper in the world will fetch more than him now, the cost/benefit here is huge. Shame we dont have a decent #2

What was attractive about him was his loyalty shown for believing in him when he was bought and made our #1, however there is a whiff of billy-big-bollocks about it now, and he really hasnt been at his best at club level since his first season with us.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That story is mental to me.

Firstly, I don't think we should be looking to sell him. I've said before that selling him is certainly an option. I think it's very possible he'll want to leave and his stock will never be higher so it would be good business to listen to offers as the fee would be astronomical.

But I don't think we should be openly looking to sell him.

Also, advertising the fact is also mental. Don't let clubs know that we want to sell him.

Yeah you don’t normally go openly announcing something like that for a player with such a high asset value, especially for a club that doesn’t need to sell like us.

It strikes me as if something serious has gone on behind the scene with him to the point where we must either really want to sell him or we must really think we can’t keep him beyond the summer.

Don't want to have to start the season with a new keeper, but I reckon this is an opportunity NSWE will take, they always said they wanted to run the club in a self sustaining way - Emi will be good money, at the right time for the player to move. Pity, but understandable. 

I’m in two minds about this - loadsa money or we keep him and a huge personality and a player with an elite level mentality (although his performances have been a bit below his usual levels).

If we can replicate his mentality with a replacement then it makes sense but it’s a huge risk to sell him.

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Well, if Tom Collomosse and the Daily Mail says so....

Do we really need to sell to buy this summer? Looks to me like this is a rehash of the Emi would like to play for a Champions League club story. The press just hate the fact that we have a World Cup winner in our team and think that we are still a selling club. I think that we would be mugs to sell, at the sort of price we would be likely to be offered. If he insists on leaving in the summer then that changes things, but I can't see him not giving us another season. Imagine the price we would be asked for another keeper after selling Emi too, there wouldn't be a lot left for any other rebuilding. He's a player we should be building the team around, rather than looking to sell. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

If those 2 players are blocking/partially blocking his sight,the they are interfearing with play.

If I were writing the laws, I would say that you are automatically participating in/interfering with the play if you are in the 18 yard box. If you're that close, the defence and the GK have to take you into account. In my mind, the whole point of the interference rule is for counter-attacks in the open field; in that case, you shouldn't have offside if the a through ball is played on the left and the attacker on the right is a half-step offside.

15 minutes ago, John said:

Well, if Tom Collomosse and the Daily Mail says so....

Do we really need to sell to buy this summer? Looks to me like this is a rehash of the Emi would like to play for a Champions League club story. The press just hate the fact that we have a World Cup winner in our team and think that we are still a selling club. I think that we would be mugs to sell, at the sort of price we would be likely to be offered. If he insists on leaving in the summer then that changes things, but I can't see him not giving us another season. Imagine the price we would be asked for another keeper after selling Emi too, there wouldn't be a lot left for any other rebuilding. He's a player we should be building the team around, rather than looking to sell. 

Hmmmmmm.

Is there any talk, other than the fans, that say we will be building big?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TomC said:

If I were writing the laws, I would say that you are automatically participating in/interfering with the play if you are in the 18 yard box. If you're that close, the defence and the GK have to take you into account. In my mind, the whole point of the interference rule is for counter-attacks in the open field; in that case, you shouldn't have offside if the a through ball is played on the left and the attacker on the right is a half-step offside.

Its hard to prove being unsighted....this plays nicely in to the hands of the Referee's discretion....it's just a shame 2 of them see it different, when both teams are playing each other.

Martinez obviously has X-Ray vision, and Leno has not.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It all depends on the player IMO. He's at a higher level individually than we are as a club (at the very worst he's top 5 keepers in the world right now, while we're not even in Europe), so he may well want to chase the CL dream. If he does, then we should cash in on him and get as much money as possible, if he wants to stay, then we'd be mad to sell him as his replacement will almost certainly not be as good. 

David Raya has 1 year left on his contract. We can be very smart about this if we have genuine interest in Martinez. We can bank a big profit and choose to have that in this year or next years accounts. 

Who would buy Emi though? Chelsea, he wouldn't join Spurs would he. United will stick with De Gea. Nobody else in market for one who could pay 60m+

Edited by CVByrne

Â